Taylor
Beginner December 2021

Long engagement blues

Taylor, on December 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Posted in Planning 7 73
Saved
So my fiance and I just got engaged, we agreed that we wanted to have a long engagement (we want to get house, save for the wedding we want, etc.). I'm trying to figure out what style and things like that. We have an idea of when we want to get married (Dec 2021). Should I start calling places to get price ideas now? Or should I wait until closer to date?

73 Comments

Latest activity by Briahna, on January 3, 2020 at 1:31 PM
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    Depending on where you live I think you should start searching soon. Some places get booked a year in advance!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I would start searching now once you two discuss a budget. You would be surprised how much some venues cost just for the ceremony. Some places book fast esp in December. Also start a pinterest board to get an idea of styles you may like.

• Natalie
    Devoted January 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

We got engaged January 26, 2019.

Decided our date will be January 2, 2021.

We booked our venue in April 2019.

We're almost to the one year mark and I feel like it's going to start going by a lot faster now!

• Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

I'd get started on searching venues and seeing if you can get things locked down now! We got engaged in July 2018 with a 2 year engagement for July 2020. We got our venue, caterer, and photographers booked in September 2018. The great thing about that was that we locked in the 2018 rates instead of having to pay the higher 2019 or 2020 rates. I'd definitely suggest looking now!

• Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I was thinking but I'm not even 100% on a head count.we were going to wait to announce as well?
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    That sounds great! I'll definitely have to look into that!!!!
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I didn't even think about that! I'll definitely have to start looking into seeing what we like! Thank you so much!!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think before planning discuss budget and head count and personally I would not announce anything (apart from close friends and family you would discuss planning with) until you guys know what you want but you do have time before STD's and invitations.

• Amber
    Devoted January 2022
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I think you can start looking. Our wedding is January 2022 and we booked a venue, photographer and dj already. We’re going to wait another 6 months or so until looking for other vendors.
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok great!!!
  • Haley
    Dedicated February 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    I think you should start looking at venues. You don’t want to find a place you absolutely love and them not have the date you want. It never to early to try to find your dream wedding venue so then you can get a idea of how much different places are and how much your willing to spend.
  • Molly
    Beginner September 2021
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    I’m in the same boat. Sept. 2021 is when we want to get married. We are also trying to buy a house first.
  • Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I might be a lone wolf but I say try to find a venue but don't get too wrapped up in decor yet. We have a seven month engagement and I have switched gears about three times now on floral ideas and even tweaking the colors. Start planning but leave yourself some wiggle room to get some fun new ideas in the next year
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok that makes sense. I have no idea on any colors or theme or anything else I'm just worried about not having enough time to get the place or vendors we want if I wait too long
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what we are doing as well. We have 2 children and we definitely want to be in/have our house before we tie the knot
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense we are definitely waiting to send anything out. He was wanting to at least say something on social media 1st them send out more info closer to date
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You could totally announce the engagement but no wedding plans per se.
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We "announced" it on social media but we haven't sent out actual announcement cards.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Announcement cards? Will that be factored into the budget. I feel you should whatever you want and don't over think it but send sabe the dates once you have an exact plan.
  • Taylor
    Beginner December 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I meant save the dates hahaha sorry I'm just getting off work

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics