Jessica
Savvy August 2022

Is it overboard ?

Jessica, on April 13, 2021 at 7:39 AM

Posted in Wedding Attire 44

My Fiancé and I have known each other for about 8 years. When we first met it was an instant connection. Back in September of last year my Fiancé had given me a promise ring (first picture).....In late December he proposed the second picture is my engagement ring. We are due to be married August...
cfb_1469447.jpg
cfb_1469449.jpg

cfb_1469451.jpg
My Fiancé and I have known each other for about 8 years. When we first met it was an instant connection.
Back in September of last year my Fiancé had given me a promise ring (first picture).....In late December he proposed the second picture is my engagement ring. We are due to be married August 2022. The 3rd picture is my bridal set...Which I won’t be wearing until our wedding day. The other day I over heard one of my good friends for the past 20 years talking about how it’s overboard and unnecessary.....Is she right? Is it unnecessary for him to get me so many? I just don’t understand I thought she was happy for me and now I hear her talking like that to other people.

44 Comments

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I don't think it is overboard, per say. I think promise rings are dumb, but if he wanted to buy you a different ring as an engagement ring, there is nothing wrong with that. Ignore your friend.

• Katie
    VIP August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Well that's probably why she is jealous. You're man has given you 3 rings where as she can't get one from anyone she dates. It's obviously something that bothers her.

I had a friend who is in a long term relationship and never got a ring from her boyfriend. Then theres me who dated this one guy maybe 10 years ago who proposed to me after 9 months of dating (I turned him down for a few reasons) anyway she came at me with how dare I get engaged before her when she had been with her man for 2 years and I hadn't been with mine for even a year. I didn't even understand where she was coming from because I turned him down. Skip to 2019 my boyfriend of 2 years proposed to me and I said yes. When I told her I got engaged she had nothing but negative comments to say about me, my fiance, my ring and my wedding. I eventually cut her out of my life, I don't need her toxic bs in my life.
  • Biaani
    Expert May 2021
    Biaani ·
    • Flag

To each their own. for me that's a lot because I don't wear jewelry. Literally my engagement ring is the one piece of jewelry on me. But if you like rings and he likes to spoil you (in a good way) then that's amazing! They're all pretty rings and it seems like he enjoyed gifting them to you. who cares what others say.

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    How unfortunate that your friend said that. Nobody’s opinion should matter. What your fiancé did was personal and thoughtful and significant between the two of you.
    High five to your fiancé in taking it upon himself to symbolize your journey.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Ugh...Women!!! 🤦🏽‍♀️ 🙄 some of them are just too envious to be happy for another woman.

No way! It’s not overboard… It’s a gift! Also, why should it even matter to her? Your FH can get you gifts, even if the gifts are multiple rings. No one should be in his wallet about what he spends or what he does for you. And if HE didn’t think it was overboard... then it doesn’t matter at all what your friend thinks. My FH proposed with my main e-ring and then a few minutes later said, “Wait, I have another ring too”. I was confused. But when I saw it, I remembered it was a ring that we saw together one day and he asked me about. So it was such a cute surprise. The second ring doesn’t sit as high and isn’t as “flashy”. He bought it for me to wear certain times when wearing my main ring might not be the best idea (And I totally wear that second ring sometimes). I just don’t see the point of your “friends” concern. Ignore her!
  • AB
    Devoted September 2022
    AB ·
    • Flag
    Why is it anyone’s business? Even ours. My thought is- good for you! You have a lot of beautiful rings to pass onto your future family and heirlooms they can give their future spouses if that is the case. In this instance I think of “opinions are like buttholes, everybody has them and everybody thinks the other’s stinks”
  • ScandalousRandallous
    Devoted July 2022
    ScandalousRandallous ·
    • Flag

There is no such thing as "overboard" when it comes to rings IMO. The bigger the brighter the better Smiley ring

• Megan
    Beginner December 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag

Do I personally think it is overboard to have so many rings? Yes, yes I do. HOWEVER, if that is what he wanted to do for you, or if it was a decision you made with your fiancee, then its no one else's dang business. I'm doing some things for my wedding that others have said is overboard or "a bit much" but it's my wedding and my money and they get no opinions. You do you hun.

• K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    My personal opinion is that it should not matter what anyone else thinks because this is between you and your fiancé. Don’t worry about what your friend or anyone else thinks.

My husband gave me a promise ring and then eventually an engagement ring and wedding band. I love them all for different reasons due to the meaning behind them.
    I still wear my promise ring on my right hand because I love it. Eventually it will be replaced with a mother’s ring when I get one as we are currently having it designed. I wore my promise ring on my right hand the day we got married as I hand my e-ring and wedding band soldered together. I also wore my promise ring in place of my e-ring while they were being soldered together.
  • Gabby
    Devoted October 2021
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Maybe he didn't know the difference. It happens with a lot of men honestly. Or maybe he wanted to spoil you. I see no harm
  • Sabrina
    Savvy September 2022
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag
    I personally do not think it's overboard for your Fiance to spoil you they way he wants to!. He loves you and if he feels you deserve all of those rings then honey enjoy! It's crazy how ppl feel that everything has to stay so by the book when it comes to relationship, engagement and marriage. As for the female in question. She definitely jealous! There is no way I would say that to one of my friends because honestly it wouldn't bother me! I would be there cheering on the fiance or what ever decision be made to make my friend and him happy because thts all the matters! I would definitely not make her a part of any of the big day unless u want someone to bring you down! I would reconsider the so called "friendship" as well. Congratulations wishing you a wedding that is filled with so called "too much" 🤗🤗🤗
  • Brianna
    Just Said Yes October 2022
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    You do you girl. As long as your happy that’s all that should matter. I’ve known my man for 6 years and he got me two promise rings and one engagement ring, and of course a wedding band. I think your rings are beautiful and I support you!
  • E
    Dedicated April 2023
    Elly ·
    • Flag
    No, not overboard. You have a rare man who expresses his affection in gifts! It is rare that people invest much in each of these "milestone" rings, but they are for you and your husband to appreciate and enjoy.

It is sad that your friend doesn't view it that way.
    It is also sad that she hasn't had much in terms or relationship stability.
    In all seriousness, how SERIOUS of a friendship do you have with her? Comments like this can be attempts to make you doubt and sabotage your happiness and relationship. Please select your friends carefully going into marriage. They should be people who support you and your husband during tough times and give you perspective to stay together than being apart.

• E
    Dedicated April 2023
    Elly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Amen Sister!
  • Angela
    Savvy June 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    Would it be overboard if you wore all 3 on the same finger at the same time? Maybe....
    I'm not a jewelry expert by any means but unless you had a side by side picture or saw the engagement ring on a daily basis, the engagement-style ring in the bridal set looks similar (one larger diamond surrounded by smaller diamonds to create a square shape). I don't know if an outsider would even notice it wasn't your original engagement ring unless you explicitly told them. They would just assume it was prettier or bigger than they remembered. I mean I had to scroll back up to figure out what the third ring was because I thought there were 2 pictures of the same ring.
  • Alexandra
    Beginner December 2021
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag
    Don’t worry about what people
    Say! Be happy and do what makes you happy!!
  • Melissa
    Dedicated September 2021
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    I semi agree it feels like a lot to me. But like others have said. People buy people rings. It's no one's business. If your fiance likes doing that awesome. I personally have fat fingers and can only wear one ring at a time so that would be my struggle. Don't mind her opinion. Not everyone likes jewelry like that.

• Jessica
    Savvy August 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I definitely don’t wear them all at once. I wear my promise ring on the right hand and my engagement ring
  • Melissa
    Dedicated September 2021
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I can only wear rings on my left hand. I have swelling on my right hand that makes my finger size inconsistent
    Or I would wear one on my right.I do love the square shape of your promise ring.

But In the end, Do what makes you happy.
  • Jai
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    Is it overboard ? 1

We have the same ring! Mt hubby got this for me as a promise ring as well. I wore it on our wedding day. He got it from zales. It's special to me and even to this day I still wear it daily. It would offend me if my friend was talking about Me like that it's rude

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics