Jessica
Savvy August 2022

Is it overboard ?

Jessica, on April 13, 2021 at 7:39 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 44
Saved
Is it overboard ? 1
Is it overboard ? 2

Is it overboard ? 3
My Fiancé and I have known each other for about 8 years. When we first met it was an instant connection.
Back in September of last year my Fiancé had given me a promise ring (first picture).....In late December he proposed the second picture is my engagement ring. We are due to be married August 2022. The 3rd picture is my bridal set...Which I won’t be wearing until our wedding day. The other day I over heard one of my good friends for the past 20 years talking about how it’s overboard and unnecessary.....Is she right? Is it unnecessary for him to get me so many? I just don’t understand I thought she was happy for me and now I hear her talking like that to other people.

44 Comments

Latest activity by . Jennifer, on April 14, 2021 at 12:15 AM
  • Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    If you’re asking for honest opinions, I’m with your friend. He gave you what looks like an engagement ring in September then a different one for an actual proposal in December. Now you’re getting married less than two years after that and you’re going to wear a 3rd engagement ring?
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    Your “friend “said that?? It’s obvious that she’s ripping with envy. That’s a really disgusting thing to say about a friend who has been in a long-term relationship and finally got engaged. The only thing that’s overboard here is her
  • Kk
    Devoted October 2021
    Kk ·
    • Flag
    What's the reasoning behind getting a full bridal set instead of just a wedding band to go with your current engagement ring? At the end of the day, it's no one's business what you guys want to do, and she never should have said anything to you about it.
  • Jessica
    Savvy August 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I didn’t ask him the reasoning behind why he bought it, because I didn’t want him to feel I didn’t like it or that I wasn’t grateful. I had no idea he was going to buy a new set. I was just thinking a band to go with my engagement ring.
  • Kk
    Devoted October 2021
    Kk ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Then honestly, ignore everyone else. It may be "unnecessary," yes, but it's also really sweet of him. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you love it, that's all the matters.

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated August 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    Her opinion should have no relevance honestly. Your Fiancé chose to do this and did so. Are you happy? You get to wear and look at this ring for the rest of your life not her. That is what matters. So what that he bought you a promise and an engagement. Sounds petty of your “friend”.

Many women for whatever reason ring shame and it’s not ok. (Examples; too small, too big, i’ve even witnessed a “not clear enough” once. Then they attach their own unasked thoughts/perception about your relationship which a lot of the times isn’t true.) That is not a friend. That is jealousy and/or toxic behavior.
  • Jessica
    Savvy August 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Honestly makes me think what else she has said that I have not heard. My sister passed away last year and isn’t here to help me plan my wedding, and I figured us being such good friends and for so long I could trust her.
  • E
    Super July 2023
    Eniale ·
    • Flag

I'm legitimately confused.

Are people not allowed to buy any other rings for their SOs except for a single engagement ring and a single wedding band?

Your "friend's" opinion is dumb and should be given absolutely no attention whatsoever.

• Liz
    Devoted August 2021
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    Yes it's overboard. If this happened to a friend I would probably say as much to them, because it's outside of the norm. That doesn't mean I'm belittling you or the relationship, and really don't care how many rings you have. Just an observation.
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Getting you rings, no, not overboard, all those dumb diamonds yes, it's overboard... (personally i hate diamonds and think they look tacky when there are SOOO many like that, but that's me.... )

My wedding band is silver since I couldn't find it in white Gold. no gems at all, and my engagement ring i custom designed with his ruby birthstone and my blue topaz birthstone.

but what REALLY matters is what you the wearer thinks. YOU are the one wearing them

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated August 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    Finances and husbands buy their wives gifts. Who is she to say what is too much for the two of you. There is a saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” What is her point of telling you it’s overboard. Your FH obviously thought you deserved it, 8 YRS, I might add. Tell your friend how she made you feel if the relationship with her is important, otherwise let her simmer in jealousy and let it roll off you girl ❤️. I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your sister, I can only imagine the bond you miss. Chin up and I hope you rock that gorgeous ring with pride babe!
  • Ava
    VIP May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    Is it a bit “extra”? Sure. Is that a bad thing? Heck no!! I don’t understand why a good friend would pass judgment on what you receive as a gift, unless they are a bit jealous. Some people simply gift bigger than others! My good friend’s (now) husband gifted her with a brand new Mercedes for Christmas, after only 5 months of dating. Of course that is “overboard” when compared to typical gifting standards. But never once did I feel anything but excited for her. The thought of passing judgment or negatively gossiping about her never even crossed my mind. It sounds like maybe your friend is jealous.
  • Ava
    VIP May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    P.S. I love your promise ring! I also received a promise ring from my now fiancé. I plan to continue wearing it on my right hand, because I love how the rings represent the whole story of our relationship. (Plus, it’s too pretty not to wear LOL) Do You plan to continue wearing your promise ring?
  • Jessica
    Savvy August 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes !! I still wear it on my other hand as well !!
  • Nicole
    Devoted August 2022
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    As long as you don't wear them all at the same time, I don't see how it's any different than having multiple pairs of earrings or other jewelry that you wear when you want to!
  • Sydney
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Sydney ·
    • Flag
    Nope! Not overboard at all. If that’s what your man chooses to do for you, then that’s his decision. Your “friend” isn’t the one making the decision. Your not marrying your friend 🤷🏾‍♀️ I don’t think it’s her business
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    If she doesn’t like it then she shouldn’t wear it.

I think the gesture is very romantic and the rings are gorgeous. Wear them as YOU see fit. As you can see people will always find something negative to say about something beautiful.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, this. It’s unnecessary for sure to have a whole new ring for each occasion. I’d think that of any friend, BUT, it wouldn’t mean a darn thing. Simply an observation. I don’t think there’s any ill intent there and it doesn’t AT ALL mean she’s not happy for you. Just that she thinks “wow, that’s a lot of rings” . And If a lot of rings works in your relationship, so be it!
  • Katie
    VIP August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I absolutely agree with this. She sounds overly jealous and is making negative comments because of it. Don't let her jealous comments get to you. Is she married or engaged yet?
  • Jessica
    Savvy August 2022
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No she isn’t...she really never even has had a serious serious relationship.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics