Debbie
Just Said Yes October 2020

Is having a video still a “must” now a days?

Debbie, on September 3, 2019 at 7:38 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 24
Saved
Me and my fiancé are struggling with if we should go with the video option in addition to our photography. We’re both on the fence as this is costing an extra $2900 for an 8 min trailer reel. The videos are very touching and well put together but we’re just not sure it’s worth it. His parents say it’s a must, mine say no. Any advice?!?! Help! LOL

24 Comments

Latest activity by Allie, on September 4, 2019 at 3:28 PM
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    We didn't and we don't regret it. A few people actually discreetly took videos of the ceremony on their phone, and that's really all I would care about anyway. You can even ask someone specifically to record the ceremony/first dance on their phones if you want to ensure you get coverage without the cost. The quality of phone videos is pretty good nowadays.
  • L
    Dedicated October 2020
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Video isnt needed. It's an extra expense.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    We didn't have one and don't regret it one bit.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Definitely not necessary but it’s a nice to have if you have the money. We didn’t do it because it was just one more thing that would likely sit around the house after a few months.
  • Angelica
    Savvy July 2021
    Angelica ·
    • Flag
    I agree, I don’t think it’s necessary. I like the idea of asking someone to record for you.
  • S
    Dedicated June 2020
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    I've thought about it cause I've seen some really beautiful videos but its just not in the budget for us. If you have the extra money go for it but it's not needed!
  • Da Mom
    August 2022
    Da Mom ·
    • Flag

Not necessary at all. You can do a “movie” of still photos set to music afterwards.

• Izzykern
    Super April 2021
    Izzykern ·
    • Flag
    We will not be having one because it is not a priority for us within our budget. We got an awesome photographer instead
  • Heather
    Expert April 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag

That's what I don't understand about videography costs of some. They only give a short highlight film for thousands. I got lucky. My hair stylist/bridesmaid's husband does videography. He does a 5 minute highlight film and a full ceremony film. I chose the 6 hour package for $950, but since he is a guest, he wrote 8+ hours on the contract! So grateful! I would not have done videography for over $1,000, but that's just me.

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Is it possible you could find a videographer who would be willing to film only the ceremony and you pay for the raw footage? Editing is expensive, so FH and I are going this route to save some money

• Kayla
    Dedicated April 2021
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    I personally am not getting a video because I’m not sure what we’d do with it after we had it.. not a priority for either of us and saves us money!
  • Wendy
    Dedicated April 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag

I don't think this is a must have anymore. I didn't do it with my first marriage and didn't miss it. I am not doing it for this one either.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I got one because I wanted a live action recap of it all but it is totally not necessary
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Nothing is really “must”… Especially if you can’t afford it.
  • Maria
    Just Said Yes April 2020
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    I like the idea of having a video but am going to pick a photographer/videographer package. Those prices that you are quoting are just not worth it. If you love the photographer that you picked, skip the video.
  • Megan
    Expert October 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    My photographer doesnt offer videography but a friend of mine has done them professionally for weddings before and I'm thinking of asking her. But for me, it's not something I would pay big bucks for.
  • Debbie
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Debbie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Believe it or not, that IS the video end of it. Photography package is $5300 and video would be + 2900. We’ve seen others and they’re in the same price range if not more if we’re looking at what they have to offer. ( this one gives us way more and a free first baby session when the time comes )
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

We aren't doing video. I think other videos I have seen are pretty cool with it all set to music, but I don't need one.

• Melissa
    VIP September 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    We are not having one. I hate hearing my voice and seeing myself on video. We didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a 10 minute video we may watch once a year.
  • Cara
    Dedicated May 2020
    Cara ·
    • Flag
    I was on the fence about a video. Really wanted one but couldn’t justify the cost. I ended up finding someone who worked at a car dealership and had been making car commercials. He was working on breaking into the wedding industry and had only done two so far. The one video he had posted was amazing. His prices were so low cause he hadn’t done many.

So so my advice is to just keep looking around. There’s always people trying to start up a new business and willing to do the work cheep to get there foot in the door. I’m getting a lot of deals on vendors who haven’t done many weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics