Ms. G
Super April 2011

Is 9 am too early? what do you think....tough decision!!

Ms. G, on November 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM Posted in Planning 0 48
Saved

Ok we are in a squeeze....we found a great reception hall (in our budget)

but just one bad thing it has to start at 12 noon. Now FH insists on have the ceremony at our church home so that our church family can at least attend the ceremony. So with that we have a 30 mile commute from ceremony to reception (this is my ccommute for work everyday btw). So because of that we have to start ceremony at 9am so that we will have enough inbetween.....

What do you guys think? Is 9 too early? Is the commute too much?

I really wanna honor my FH's desire it's the one thing he wants...but is this realistic?

48 Comments

Latest activity by sillybuddha, on November 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM
  • Ms. G
    Super April 2011
    Ms. G ·
    • Flag

The other option is to have the ceremony right there at the reception site and start at 10 or 11.

I wanna hear from you guys what do you think.

is it ok for me to just leave it at 9am ....I am fine with it however I don't know if it's realistic.

Are people gonna complain, know what I mean....

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·
    • Flag

Are you willing to get up at 5 for hair and make-up?

It's a tough choice! Half way through your reception you'll probably be exhausted. Idk, that's just my .02 cents.

• Ab
    Master October 2011
    Ab ·
    • Flag

Were you gonna have a professional do ur hair/makeup..that may be more of an issue than if doing it yourself or having a friend do it.

• Fun bride
    Master November 2010
    Fun bride ·
    • Flag

If FH insists on having the wedding at your church home, it sounds like the reception hall ceremony option may not work out too well. I would think about the guest list and their ability to get from the church to the reception. 9am is a little early but it could work.

• Greyash
    Master March 2011
    Greyash ·
    • Flag

My wedding is at 9am too, mainly b/c FH and I wanted it in the morning and a breakfast reception was much cheaper and in our budget. FH is also hermit like and doesn't like to be out of the house lol, so he's excited it ends a 12 or earlier. I don't think it's too early, that being said, I am a natural early bird haha. I think of it this way, we're not taking up anyone's Saturday night, or weekend, just a few hours on a Saturday morning.

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

I don't think your guests will complain, but you and your BP might! Consider what time you will have to not only wake up, but begin getting ready! And that is probably after a sleepless night, and wedding rehearsal dinner. It's not for me, I would look for another hall for sure, but to each their own...

• Ms. G
    Super April 2011
    Ms. G ·
    • Flag

Love your take on it Greyash.....there is just always somebody out there who has a similar situation.....well I am gonna have pros do my hair and make up most definately!

Does everyone think that will help?

and NO I am not a morning person but I seem to be when I'm doing something

exciting.....LOL

I esp wanna here from the "already married" since you have an idea of what the day is like. My main concern is my guests complaining

• Ms. G
    Super April 2011
    Ms. G ·
    • Flag

Keep it real......cuz although I want to give FH his hearts desire we also have to look at it realistically.....

• B
    Master January 2011
    bluedaisy ·
    • Flag

Honestly, a lot of pros Ive seen charge extra for hair and makeup if they have to be there (or open a shop early for you) before 7:30 or 8am. So...there is a good chance you would end up paying more for both hair and make up for having to be up so early.

• Ms. G
    Super April 2011
    Ms. G ·
    • Flag

Singing Diva .....I did think of that (this place has so much hor d'oeurve - i was trying to cut it down) ok what do you think if I do that schedule but take pictures after the wedding?

and....analy I always read your posts and you give good advice. I promise won't complain....I'm a trooper, I can tough it out and fh BETTER NOT complain!!

because its for him.

as long as its realistic, doable, and guests can handle....i will push forward with it.

I'm ordering invitations so i have to settle this issue.

• B
    Master January 2011
    bluedaisy ·
    • Flag

I dont think the early hour would be that much of an issue for guests-its weird, but 9am is doable (though you are saying they cant sleep in of their own day off). Driving 30 miles to the recption however causes more concern for complaint in my mind. people will probably do it, but not be very happy about it.

• Ms. G
    Super April 2011
    Ms. G ·
    • Flag

Singing Diva .....I did think of that (this place has so much hor d'oeurve - i was trying to cut it down) ok what do you think if I do that schedule but take pictures after the wedding?

and....analy I always read your posts and you give good advice. I promise won't complain....I'm a trooper, I can tough it out and fh BETTER NOT complain!!

because its for him.

as long as its realistic, doable, and guests can handle....i will push forward with it.

I'm ordering invitations so i have to settle this issue.

• Shannon C
    Master May 2011
    Shannon C ·
    • Flag

I agree with Analy. You're going to have to get up awfully early to get ready and you'll likely have a poor night sleep the night before from being super excited. If you think it would work for you and your bridal party, it might work. I'm guessing there will be some of the "friends/coworkers/less intimate guests" that will not go to the reception if it's 30 miles away. Most probably will, but there will likely be some that will not.

• Genevieve
    VIP February 2011
    Genevieve ·
    • Flag

As a guest, unless I was super close to the bride/groom, I'd just show up for the reception given a 9am wedding and a 30 mile drive between. Even with a 30 mile drive, what are the guests going to do with the rest of the 2 hours between the ceremony & reception? There's a lot of dead time there.

So, I'd say that most people (including yourself as you've stated you aren't a morning person) would be happier with the 11am wedding at the reception site.

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

Yes...I'm also confused about what the huge time gap is about now that I go back and read it. 2 plus hours is way too long in between. Is there some reason that his church family would be opposed to going to a ceremony at the site you like?

• J
    Devoted December 2010
    john smith ·
    • Flag

You have to consider your guest. they would have to get up super early also. plus the driving 30 miles is a bit much.

• S
    Just Said Yes September 2011
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I had to get up at 5 am for a 12 wedding. People never stay as long for luncheons. I think you would regret it.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

The 30 mile drive from ceremony to reception is a bit much, and the 3 hour time difference between the start of the ceremony and start of the recpetion is downright insane. Unless you are having a really long, overly elaborate - why the huge time difference?

As someone with kids- it would be really hard to get up, get myself ready, and get my kids ready for a wedding at 9am. Let's say children are invited, that's rough on the parents. Say children aren't welcome, that's another 30 minutes of time I would have to be ready by to drop them at a sitter- and that's hoping the church is close by my home.

And why does it HAVE to start at 12? Why not start it at 1 and just have a shorter reception? Between getting ready, decorating the reception area and the 30 miledrive- I think it's not the best choice for you.

• Mabel
    Devoted November 2010
    Mabel ·
    • Flag

If I understand it right, there is three hours in between ceremony and reception... that is crazy... sorry, that's just my opinion.

• J.J
    Master September 2011
    J.J ·
    • Flag

You also have to consider that if you are having children at your wedding 9am is going to be hard for them. Then after getting the children up and around they then have to drive them 30 miles, which they will pry fall asleep, then wake them back up for the reception. At that time you are getting into nap time so the children will definitely not be very happy or easy to handle. If you aren't having children then that won't be an issue though. But from another womans prespective I would talk with your bridesmaids also (if you have any). I know 2 of my bridesmaids have 2-3 kids and with them having to get the kids to bed the night before then get up the next morning and be at my wedding at 5 am just wouldn't be fair to them. Though again if you aren't having bridesmaids or yours don't have children then this won't be a problem for you.

Now to just look at this from another bride's prespective. The night before you won't get much sleep and then you have to be up at 5 and start getting

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics