Skip to main content
Nic
Devoted October 2018

Inviting boss to wedding?

Nic, on April 3, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 71

Who here is inviting their bosses?! Not sure what I want to do yet...I don’t want to invite mine to my wedding but on the other hand don’t want to be rude either. My boss came up to me and said I know weddings are expensive so don’t worry about inviting me it’s ok(i don’t know if this is a trick...
Who here is inviting their bosses?! Not sure what I want to do yet...I don’t want to invite mine to my wedding but on the other hand don’t want to be rude either. My boss came up to me and said I know weddings are expensive so don’t worry about inviting me it’s ok(i don’t know if this is a trick statement he was throwing at me to see if he was invited but I simply reply aw well thanks but we haven’t figured out the guest list yet this was a couple of months ago) I I have worked at my job for 7 years what is everyone’s opinion on this??

71 Comments

• M
    Just Said Yes October 2018
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I'm inviting mine. I work at a big company but on a team of only 4 people so I invited the whole team as well as a whole slew of old coworkers that are really my best friends here in my city. I don't really hang out with my current team members outside of work but we are all pretty close due to the hours we work. My FH is not inviting anyone in his office. His direct supervisor he doesn't really like and he didn't feel like he could invite the one he did like without his direct supervisor (and didn't think the one he did like would want to come anyway). I think it just depends on your relationship inside and outside the office. I don't think you invite your boss because "that's just what you do."

• Lunajay
    Super December 2022
    Lunajay ·
    • Flag
    If its in your budget for your boss or other coworkers to attend then go for it. Sounds like your close to your boss but remember when coworkers find out someone was invited they all start waiting to go.
    Congratulations and Best Wishes
  • M
    Just Said Yes June 2018
    Michaella ·
    • Flag

Two colleagues have asked me and I have said we are trying to keep it small and decided no on coworkers unless we are social outside of work. They completely understand. my boss is great but we don't hang out outside of work, so no go.

• Rachel
    VIP September 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    I'm struggling with this. I work under several people who like me but don't like each other very much. I know that they'll all be unhappy if they're not invited and they may assume I invited others so I feel obliged to invite them all to keep the peace.
  • S
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Susan ·
    • Flag
    My boss is moving. My colleague and good friend whom I've already asked to be a bridesmaid is being promoted to his position so yes, I'm inviting my boss. However I would have invited my previous supervisor as well even though we are having a small wedding. We are a small, close department.
  • M
    Just Said Yes December 2018
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I have only been at my job for a year. I am inviting the 3 attorneys I work for and the 4 ladies I work closest with on a daily basis. I doubt my bosses will attend, but I wanted to make it known they are welcome. Might make for an awkward Monday when I come back from my honeymoon if I don't.

I would invite him. It's better to extend the gesture than to not. He may not even come and if he does, he probably won't stay the entire time.

• BB-H
    VIP September 2018
    BB-H ·
    • Flag

I work between two offices and the rest of the staff rotates between the two. I've become close with most of my coworkers (we total around 10), but some of them I don't see often, and I'm not as close with. I hope to invite those I am close with only, and that includes my boss.
    If you enjoy their company, certainly invite them. Otherwise, don't feel obliged to.

• Adrian
    Dedicated August 2018
    Adrian ·
    • Flag

My office is 5 of us, so I am inviting everyone and we all get along.

• PammyJ
    Dedicated May 2018
    PammyJ ·
    • Flag

I have only worked at my place for 2 years. I invited my department and all the others that are in the same office after we figured the rest of the list. My boss is actually coming. I think the guest list is the hardest part of the wedding! Also to be clear, I am an only child and my parents are passed away, so the people I see every day is as close to family as I get. I also invited the vice-president, but not the president... I am worried that he will see this as a slight. I have more interaction with the vice. So you will get a lot of differing opinions on this. As for your boss, I think your answer was perfect and now you know you don't need to invite him.

• jax
    Dedicated September 2018
    jax ·
    • Flag

I'm inviting one of my supervisors because she's like our mother figure at work. I'm also inviting just my very close friends from work (the ones who I actually hang out with outside the unit), 2 of which are best friends/bridesmaids. I would have loved to my other co-workers, since we're all still pretty close, but my guest list is already too large. :/

• Maria
    Master June 2018
    Maria ·
    • Flag

He shouldn't have said that. Don't invite him. You don't want to. If he brings it up again, say you're keeping it small.

ETA: That may have been his rude way of saying, I'd rather not feel obligated to send you a gift.

ETA2: I'm inviting my adviser and I'm excited at the idea he may come. FH is not inviting anyone from his job.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics