Skip to main content
Nic
Devoted October 2018

Inviting boss to wedding?

Nic, on April 3, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 71

Who here is inviting their bosses?! Not sure what I want to do yet...I don’t want to invite mine to my wedding but on the other hand don’t want to be rude either. My boss came up to me and said I know weddings are expensive so don’t worry about inviting me it’s ok(i don’t know if this is a trick...
Who here is inviting their bosses?! Not sure what I want to do yet...I don’t want to invite mine to my wedding but on the other hand don’t want to be rude either. My boss came up to me and said I know weddings are expensive so don’t worry about inviting me it’s ok(i don’t know if this is a trick statement he was throwing at me to see if he was invited but I simply reply aw well thanks but we haven’t figured out the guest list yet this was a couple of months ago) I I have worked at my job for 7 years what is everyone’s opinion on this??

71 Comments

• Bride2B
    Expert June 2018
    Bride2B ·
    • Flag

I'm inviting all my supervisors from the last few years. Trying to keep good professional contacts. I invited a number of coworkers as well. I didn't invite anyone who is a direct supervisor of my coworkers though, because i thought it might be awkward/be less fun for them.

• Nemo
    Master August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

I'm inviting one person that I work with, and she is above me but I'm inviting her because she is my best friend's mom and essentially a mother figure to me. I wish I could invite more people from my office because they're so fun and we all get along great, but we don't have the room. FH is not inviting his boss, but is inviting his work buddies since they see each other outside of work often.

• Stephanie
    Devoted July 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    We are not inviting anyone from work. I would maybe invite my former boss because she is awesome and really helped me with wedding stuff but I haven't talked to her since she quit. I'm not inviting my current boss, I don't really know her very well.
  • NeLeibelToBe
    Devoted June 2018
    NeLeibelToBe ·
    • Flag
    I work in an office of 45. I am inviting my boss and one other coworker. We kind of decided based on whether or not we hang out with them outside of work. FHs family is HUGE so we had to keep the friend list smaller! The CEO of the agency works at this office too, although he isn't 'directly' my boss he is THE boss and I am not inviting his as we are not that close!
  • Kristina
    Master August 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

I invited a few people from work but only because I talk to them and hang out with them outside of work.

My boss is getting married a month after me, and she didn't invite me to hers either, so I'm not super worried about it.

• CarrieAndBert
    Expert June 2018
    CarrieAndBert ·
    • Flag
    I work for a medical clinic. I did invite my Drs and 3 co workers but did not invite my boss or most of my office.
  • Kiley
    Super February 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag
    I am inviting my old boss, the one I see as a mentor and someone I could count on for a lot when I worked with him. He then became my FH boss and they got close. We are also inviting both of my FH bosses from the last 2 years. He is really close to both of them.

I think it really depends on how close you are to your boss. I know without a doubt that my FH old bosses will be there for him no matter what happens. When his grandmother passes away (terminally ill) they will be there at the funeral. Or when we visit our hometown he will have lunch with them. My current boss I am not planning on inviting because I don't have that relationship with him.
  • Annie
    VIP October 2018
    Annie ·
    • Flag

I have two coworkers plus my boss. I'm inviting them all. I work for a politician and my wedding is 3/4 weeks before election day so I doubt my boss will take two days off from the campaign trail. Hopefully my other two coworkers can attend though.

• H
    November 2018
    happeningmom ·
    • Flag
    I think it depends on your personal relationship. If this person has been in your life for years, has assisted you with personal issues, you go to lunch often, the. I would say yes. If you don’t discuss anything other than work, don’t hang out at all, and it truly is just a boss/employee relationship then no.
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I like that.. if they have no relationship outside of work or not family they shouldn’t be invited! Thanks so much!
  • J
    Savvy July 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I think it really depends on how close of a friend your boss is. I am inviting my boss, but we have worked together, and been friends for almost 12 years. Same with my FH.

• Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes you’re right I have no relationship with him other then he’s my boss lol
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone!! You made me feel better about my decision 💜💜
  • L
    Savvy September 2018
    Les ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Agreed. We're inviting nobody from work. We never socialize with co-workers outside the office, so why would we invite them to our wedding? Not to mention, the two people on my team are very conservative and one of them won't even acknowledge my wedding, while the other talks about my "different lifestyle" so hellz no! Plus we're keeping it small, and only inviting those truly close to us, and we don't want to talk about work during our celebrations. Bleh.

• Susannah
    Beginner March 2018
    Susannah ·
    • Flag
    Weigh your options. Is your boss someone who will take it personally if he or she is excluded? Sometimes it’s easier to just send the invite rather than deal with the emotional fallout of excluding someone higher up on the food chain than you.
  • M
    Beginner October 2018
    Mandie ·
    • Flag
    Never! I hate most of my coworkers
  • Stephanie
    Super March 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve taught at the same school for 11 years, so I had a good amount of coworkers to invite, including my principal and assistant principal. My principal is relatively new, but our faculty loves her dearly and I couldn’t imagine leaving her off the list. She didn’t come, since we had plans to travel for spring break. I also invited my assistant principal because he started teaching the same year I did and has moved on to admin. Now he does my evaluations, but at the reception, he was wearing the most glow sticks and tore up the dance floor with his wife! It was so fun to see my coworkers use the wedding as a date night!
  • Jeanette
    Beginner May 2018
    Jeanette ·
    • Flag
    I have 4 bosses but mainly closer to one of them. Not inviting them becuase we aren’t close but more becuase of the rules. If you invite bosses then it has to be a dry wedding. And honestly both sides of the family drink.
  • Deryn
    Expert October 2018
    Deryn ·
    • Flag
    From my job, i only invited my co-teachers. I work in a daycare and share a room with three other teachers and we’re all very close. I couldn’t imagine leaving them out!

My FH’s CEO is invited to our wedding, but he is also a very good friend of my Dad
  • M
    Just Said Yes October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    I have worked close with my boss for 17 years. I'm inviting him and most of my department of 6 minus 2 I don't get along with.

I would say if you have a good relationship with your boss than invite them. And if not they should understand.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics