Nic
Devoted October 2018

Inviting boss to wedding?

Nic, on April 3, 2018 at 9:48 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 71
Saved
Who here is inviting their bosses?! Not sure what I want to do yet...I don’t want to invite mine to my wedding but on the other hand don’t want to be rude either. My boss came up to me and said I know weddings are expensive so don’t worry about inviting me it’s ok(i don’t know if this is a trick statement he was throwing at me to see if he was invited but I simply reply aw well thanks but we haven’t figured out the guest list yet this was a couple of months ago) I I have worked at my job for 7 years what is everyone’s opinion on this??

71 Comments

Latest activity by Maria, on April 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM
  • Jessica
    VIP October 2018
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I'm inviting my entire office.
    Are you close with your boss? Are your work-related friends people you can count on when it comes to non-work related things? Do you hang out outside of work? Do you see him as a friend more than a boss?
    If so, then send an invite.

If not, as those Disney princesses would say, let it goooo let it go 😊
  • Married and Loving It!
    Super February 2018
    Married and Loving It! ·
    • Flag
    My office is 3 people (including me) so I invited him!
  • PBiazinha
    VIP May 2018
    PBiazinha ·
    • Flag
    I’m not inviting mine, and my ex boss who’s a friend is also not invited because we are only inviting the very close friends - like childhood ones really. If I had a bigger budget I would invite my former boss because he was like a mentour and we became close, my current boss I want as a professional relationship and that’s all so he would be getting an excuse instead.
  • J
    Beginner September 2018
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    Im inviting mine. Shes adamant about knowing what im wearing. What the centerpieces look like. Blah blah. I've shared a little but i tell her she has to wait & see just like everyone else. Ive worked there for 10 years come Sept. My wedding month so.....idk i guess it just really depends on the relationship you have w them.....
  • T
    Devoted September 2018
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    I'm inviting mine, but he's also a very laid back person that I get along with well.
  • J
    Expert June 2018
    Jamie ·
    • Flag
    I'm inviting my boss and about 1/3 Of everyone else at work (Honestly couldn't invite everyone 24/7 job). By boss is one of my good friends that got promoted.
  • The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    • Flag
    I'm inviting many in my office, but not all. I figurred it I wasn't comfortable asking for your address then you were not to be invitees. Including my BIG boss but not my actual supervisor/boss, she will attend and I know she was counting on it.
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Haha love that! “Let it gooo” I have been telling myself that for a lot of wedding related situations. Not really close with him so he’ll probably be a no. Thanks for the advice!
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Good luck with all the planning!
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I only have one person from work and she’s in my bridal party
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes you’re right
  • D
    Savvy February 2019
    DorisAnne ·
    • Flag
    I love my boss. So she was definitely on the list. We have a great relationship. However, my finance and I don't love his boss . So we left him off 😶
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

We are not inviting anyone from work. A good guideline is to only invite those co-workers with whom you have a social relationship outside work. If you wouldn't otherwise see them in a social situation, why would you invite them to your wedding?

• O
    Master October 2017
    O ·
    • Flag
    I invited my bosses, they're great people, and it wouldn't have felt right not inviting them. My prior bosses, nope, didn't invite them. I had to go to therapy because of them; I developed social anxiety because of them .
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes very true! My boss and I don’t have a relationship outside of work. Thank you!
  • Jillian
    Devoted August 2018
    Jillian ·
    • Flag
    I’m a teacher so I don’t really have a “boss” but my department chair is officiating our wedding Smiley smile

My principal has asked me multiple times about the wedding and is trying to basically invite himself (he offered to pay for him and his wife’s plates after asking me how much I’m paying). He tried to guilt me into inviting him by saying “back in my day we always invited our bosses”. It’s all very weird.

I would say invite them if you are close to them, but don’t feel obligated.
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh no I’m so sorry they were horrible! My boss is close to sounding like your old bosses so it’s definitely a no now
  • Nic
    Devoted October 2018
    Nic ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I’m not close with him and I feel like he was fishing to see if he was invited or not. I don’t talk to him outside of work but when I see him at work I say hi it’s more professional type feel relationship I guess I would call it, I just felt awkward because when’re I work is small but I guess who cares we’re not close?
  • Gaby
    Dedicated November 2018
    Gaby ·
    • Flag
    I invited mine. Been working at my job for a couple of years and it’s someone I spend 40+ hours a week with. Plus we do hang outside of work.

If you get along with them, and they genuinely care for you, why not?
  • Mrs.Henderson2b
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Henderson2b ·
    • Flag
    I’m not inviting mine. I’m not too keen on inviting my one coworker but she put me on the spot and asked. So i had to oblige. 😏😐

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics