Marquita
Beginner August 2020

i think i hate my wedding dress

Marquita, on May 26, 2019 at 6:52 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved Save
I recently purchased a wedding dress from a local store that was going out of business. I got the dress at a REALLY good price and for the most part looked like new. Although I got the dress a a good price, there were a few caveats. The dress is extremely TOO big and there is a hole in the bottom right above the trim. Both of these issues seems like an easy fix, right? I have a scheduled appointment with a seamstress on Thursday but I’m second guessing everything. I keep looking at the dress and it seems very simple and doesn’t make a statement. What do you all think? Do you all have any recommendations to jazz the train up a bit?? I want drama... and I’m nervous this dress doesn’t fit the bill. Due to the dress being too big on me, I don’t have any good pictures of me in the dress. The pictures attached are from the designers website.

i think i hate my wedding dress 1

i think i hate my wedding dress 2

i think i hate my wedding dress 3

24 Comments

• E
    Dedicated July 2020
    Emily ·
    I personally think that dress is stunning! I would take it to the seamstress first and see what the options are before making any decisions. If she is able to alter it to your liking, chances are it will seem like a totally new dress once it fits right!
  • Marquita
    Beginner August 2020
    Marquita ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks Emily! I am keeping my fingers crossed a seamstress is able to help me without breaking the bank too much.
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

I totally agree with Emily - a good seamstress can make a world of difference! Best of luck

• Alhina
    Devoted August 2019
    Alhina Online ·
    The dress is beautiful.
  • Lorraine
    Beginner June 2020
    Lorraine ·
    The dress is beautiful! I think if the seamstress can get it to fit, then a great way to glam it up is to add a sparkly veil or something with gems on it. Another way is by adding jewelry with stones or pearls. You could even add a headpiece, like a tiara or maybe even have your hairstylist incorporate something.
  • Melissa
    Rockstar September 2019
    Melissa ·
    That dress is beautiful. If you are looking to spice it up, maybe add a belt or a nice headpiece
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    Ditto the above - the dress is stunning!
  • D
    Expert September 2019
    DuttonSandersWedding Online ·
    That dress is stunning!! I dont think you have anything to worry about but you could always add a sparkly belt and a cathedral length veil with embellishments on the bottom to jazz ir up a bit.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    It's a beautiful dress. I hope she can do the alterations you need! A sparkly necklace and a belt would look fab!
  • Michelle
    Devoted August 2019
    Michelle ·
    It’s so pretty
  • Bridget
    VIP August 2019
    Bridget ·
    I think it’s beautiful! My seamstress told me that she could take in a dress as much as it needed without running to issues so I wouldn’t worry about sizing... if your looking to Jazz it up you could add lace appliqués to the train or even just try a bling belt but personally I think it’s beautiful as is!!
  • S
    Expert October 2019
    Sara Online ·
    It’s a beautiful dress and since you got it on sale hopefully that’ll give you some wiggle room to customize it exactly how you want it. I noticed that you mentioned jazzing up the drain, and that the description of the dress says it’s tulle with horsehair trim at the bottom. My dress is the same way and I thought briefly about adding lace trim to the bottom of the train. They said it can be done, but the lace would be more fragile at the bottom than the horsehair. They can either remove the horsehair and put lace on instead, or to make it stronger put the lace over the horsehair. But definitely talk to your seamstress about that! Depending on your style a nice sparkly belt would look pretty, but isn’t necessary if you don’t like it. Either way, your dress is so pretty and I Hope meeting with the seamstress helps ease your doubts!
  • Marquita
    Beginner August 2020
    Marquita ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the heads up!!! I definitely didn’t take that into consideration. Did you end up adding lace or leaving your dress as is?
  • Marquita
    Beginner August 2020
    Marquita ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!! I was definitely worried about how taking the dress in could possibly affect the structure.
  • Ashley
    Devoted October 2020
    Ashley ·
    I LOVE that dress! But I think you’re problem is that it just doesn’t physically fit you. I just had this chat today. I say go to your appointment, and voice your concerns to them, and see what comes of it. And it you want to jazz it up, I say big oversized sparkly necklace. 😍
  • S
    Expert October 2019
    Sara Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I didn’t end up adding it. The look of the horsehair kinda grew on me after a while lol
  • S
    Savvy September 2019
    Steph ·
    The dress looks beautiful! I’d definitely talk to your seamstress. My dress was a sample and in good condition, but a little big and the horsehair trim on the edges. I loved the dress and it had everything all of the dresses I liked had, but in one dress so that’s why I went with it... also the price was great! But the more I looked at it in pictures, whether it was me in it or online, I started to get nervous. Went to the seamstress and by my second fitting the dress was completely transformed and I fell even more in love with it! All she did was take it in and cut the bottom layer to make it the correct length. A good seamstress and a few minor adjustments can make a world of difference. Good luck!
  • R
    Dedicated October 2019
    Roxana ·

You can always add drama with accessories! I think your dress is very pretty.

Here's some ideas I dug up:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_wmr0D0ilkpAbNGvNw

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQihEPMzKRISk8brzSwc

i think i hate my wedding dress 4

i think i hate my wedding dress 5

• Cynthia
    Expert June 2019
    Cynthia ·
    Agree with everyone else. This dress is beautiful. I hope you feel better after your appointment! So nice accessories could help alot!!
  • Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo ·

I think it's beautiful, but it only really matters how you feel in it. I'd keep your appointment and bring these concerns up with your seamstress. She may have suggestions on how you could jazz it up and make it fit you perfectly. And I'm sure she'll be able to fix the hole.

Maybe she can add a crinoline, or add some appliques to the train if you aren't finding it jazzy enough. A veil could also add some drama. And just have her pin things in place, so if you decide you really don't love the dress you can sell it on and look for something new.

Comment on this discussion