We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Mimi
Savvy October 2021

How to pick a venue?!

Mimi, on July 21, 2020 at 11:20 PM Posted in Planning 0 26
Saved Save

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster. I am a covid bride - we will be eloping on our original date of October 17 and having a larger celebration next year on our 1-year anniversary weekend.

We had originally been planning a destination wedding, but after all that has happened, we are scrapping that for the wedding celebration and choosing somewhere closer to us. Right now we are between two venues for the celebration next year and have basically two days to decide which one we want.

One is a beautiful mountain lodge in Vermont. I spent a lot of time in the area (Stowe, VT) as a child and think the mountain is gorgeous in Fall. The feel of the venue is definitely mountain-like and rustic, and the vow renewal will literally be on a mountain-top.

The other is a sea-side inn on Cape Cod. I grew up in Massachusetts on the water (but not on the Cape) and loved falling asleep to the waves and waking up to the sunrise over the water. The inn is much fancier looking and is right on the beach.

Costs are around the same for each, and each venue has lodging for my guests on site, which is a huge plus. Both are equally far away from an airport.

I love both, and I am feeling the pressure that I only have a couple of days to choose before we lose the hold on both venues. Oddly enough, both venues had cancellations on the exact date I wanted, so I don't even know which one fate wants me to choose. Any hot takes from my fellow brides and grooms??

26 Comments

Latest activity by Molly, on July 22, 2020 at 2:17 PM
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Oh man that’s tough ! I guess have you ever envisioned yourself getting married more with a beach background or mountain scenery ?
  • Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The hard part is that I never envisioned anything except for the church I'm getting married in, which I am still getting married in on my original date. Everything in my mind was centered around this church and the town it's in, which has a special meaning to me. But it doesn't make sense to go to that town for a vow renewal because we can't do it in the church.

If I envisioned anything, it was a ballroom, which neither venue has.

• Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I’m a mountain girl myself so I’m biased, but I love mountaintop weddings. Either way I’m sure it will turn out amazing.
  • Jessica
    Savvy October 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Both sound beautiful! I’m unfamiliar with VT’s reopening regulations, but I’ve seen a bunch of brides posting on here re: mass’s regulations and it seems like they’re very strict (no weddings with dancing, etc. until phase 4/there’s a vaccine). If VT’s are different, I would lean towards booking there purely for peace of mind because there’s no guarantee when a vaccine will be available to the public.
  • Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love a mountaintop picture! The pictures alone might push me more in that direction, I have never been as into pictures on the beach

• Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is a really good point. I should look at both. I have just been operating on the assumption that the restrictions won't last another full year, but we never know

• mrswinteriscoming
    Expert December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag

Neither option is a stand out to me as an unbiased bystander because both options sound great! I can understand why you're torn!

I think you need to give some thought to how YOU envision the day to look and feel. Both locations have meaning to you, but which one can you actually picture the vow renewal taking place at?

I am not familiar with either location being from a country on the other side of the world, but I would suggest you also factor in the weather (i.e. does one location have worse weather conditions than the other) as well as which one will be easier for your guests to get to. You mentioned both are equally distant from an airport, however is one location cheaper to fly to (and stay at) than the other?

• Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Beach vs mountain also impacts your dress and shoes, do you have thoughts on attire? My dress and boots would be totally out of place on the beach, but they are perfect for our mountain wedding. I guess really, it impacts everything. I’m sure you can have a beautiful ceremony and reception either location. If looking at pros and cons of both locations doesn’t help you make a decision, maybe stop thinking about either and just think about the moment you two are welcoming your friends and family, that you’re walking down the aisle, that you’re saying your vows, what do you see? Are there colors you want to use- do they go better with a fall mountain wedding or beach? What kind of decor do you like- a style, specific items, specific flowers, specific greenery?
    I also think what kind of pictures you want weighs heavily. I’ve seen some amazing beach wedding photos, but I am absolutely addicted to looking at mountain weddings, especially elopements. I love the quality of lighting in forests, how light filters down through the branches, the way mountain peaks and trees impact sunrise and sunsets, the feeling of being on top of the mountain and looking out at everything you can see. Not trying to sway you, just babbling.
    It sucks you have such a time crunch to make this choice, try to really imagine what your vow renewal is going to look like and see if that helps you figure out where you are. Good luck!
  • Marisa
    Rockstar May 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag

I would love both elements, water and woods/outdoors! What a dream and what a hard decision! What does your fiancé want?

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

Both sound beautiful, but the one thing I didn't hear you say is what your FS wants. Both of these settings were nostalgic to you, but what about them? I think you have to choose something that is meaningful to the two of you.

• Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2021
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Oh wow, both sound absolutely gorgeous! I see why you are having such a hard time choosing! My vote would have to go to the mountain though. I absolutely adore fall foliage, and couldn’t imagine having a fall wedding and not taking full advantage of natures decorations! 🍁
  • Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

One is definitely cheaper to fly to, that's a good point. I also think I imagined my wedding feeling more Fall than Summer, so maybe mountains?

• Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

FH is saying it should be whatever I want. I think he leans towards Vermont because he knows I have more of a personal connection to that town. Another thing is that I can go to VT whenever I want and visit family, whereas Cape Cod would really be once in a lifetime for me. My dad thinks I should pick a once-in-a-lifetime place, whereas FH is more sentimental.

• Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I totally agree. Our ceremony will be at a place that means a lot to us. We also met in DC and feel connected there, but that's where his family is from, and my family considers it inappropriate to host the wedding in the groom's hometown. Whether or not I am totally in agreement with them on this, they are generously paying for the celebration and are firm on this point.

I think FH would feel more connected to the beach given that he grew up on the water, but he says he is happy either way.

• Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The foliage is my favorite! I think the fall in the mountains in New England is literally one of the most beautiful natural landscapes in the world.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My FH is from IN, I'm from NY - we met and live in NC - we opted to do a destination wedding (FL) so it was travel for everyone and found a location special to us. Sounds like the water destination is just that.

• Marisa
    Rockstar May 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awe that makes it tough, those are both really good valid points. I’d go with your heart then!
  • Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I totally agree with the aesthetic point. My dress would fit in either, but I would need different wedding shoes and probably different BM dresses for the beach one. On the beach, it seems like short BM dresses are more popular. I also really do not want a nautical theme, so I would have to navigate "beachy without being yacht clubby". Most of the pictures from the beach venue have anchor or boat knot décor, and that just is not my vibe (I've been on a boat maybe 3 times in my life). If I went with the beach one, I would want it more to feel like my childhood home than a beach house.

On the mountain one, I love the colors and pinecones and warm apple cider and all that jazz. I am definitely not as into the rustic vibe, so it would take some decorative work to make the wedding feel more classic and clean and less "ski lodge". But I do LOVE plaid and reds and pinecones.

• Mimi
    Savvy October 2021
    Mimi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is a really good point. Our celebration will be travel for pretty much everyone. Our 2020 ceremony is in neutral territory (South Bend, IN), but my parents said it's too much to ask my family to travel there twice and requested that we choose an east coast venue. My extended family will be driving 10+ hours to South Bend to see me get married because the pandemic has ruined air travel for everyone, so I guess I understand that, but it totally upended our plans.

But Cape Cod is totally neutral territory without feeling completely alien because both of us grew up on the water.

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I love Cape Cod, however, I really love the mountains in the fall. We did an October wedding in the mountains and it was stunning. So I vote for the mountain lodge in Vermont!

Which venue does your fiance favor?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles