Spring Bride
Savvy May 2020

How should i tell people the wedding is canceled?

Spring Bride, on March 31, 2020 at 8:12 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8
Saved
Hi everyone, I just canceled my May 2nd wedding. The venue has no Saturday or Friday nights the rest of the year. We don’t have another date and don’t know what we’re going to do.

FMIL is saying we should send printed out cards to everyone and let them know that way. Honestly , I have spent so much and I am losing so much money that I don’t even care about proper etiquette anymore lol. I don’t feel like spending more money on postage on top of everything else because it’s a lot of people. I told her I want to text or call everyone personally. Most of the family knows at this point. What has everyone else done in this situation ?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Judith, on March 31, 2020 at 10:31 AM
  • Trisha
    Super October 2020
    Trisha ·
    • Flag

If I Were In Your Shoes I Would Send Out A Group Text/Facebook Message/Email To Everyone So That They All Receive A Message Individually Without Me Sending Them All Separately. Im Sorry You Have To Cancel.

• Sardis
    Dedicated July 2020
    Sardis ·
    • Flag

Wow to hear that. I agree with Trisha I would send a group message letting them know.

• Emily
    Super August 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    One we were invited to just did a fb post then are following up with people.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I would call each household to let them know. Maybe I’m old-school, but I don’t think social media is the best way to communicate something like this. I don’t see like 80% of my friends posts so I think it’s pretty likely that someone would miss it.
  • VIP November 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    Could you choose a Sunday ?

I’m sure you have already thought of that.. sorry !!!
  • Alexis
    Dedicated April 2021
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    We just messaged everyone. I felt that it was better to tell everyone quickly, as we canceled two weeks out.

Hello,

As the current state of the world becomes more and more unpredictable, as have our wedding plans. As a result, and after much consideration we have decided to postpone the wedding until a later date. This decision did not come easy, however it is much better for all involved.

We apologize for the short notice, and hope that you will be able to join us for the future celebration.

Thank you for understanding and stay healthy.

Love,

Alexis and Craig

• Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo ·
    • Flag

Calling sounds fine if that's what feels right for you. If you need help with wording a message we have a guide on How to Word Your Wedding Postponement Announcement. The rest of our advice guides can be found here if you need them, I hope they provide some comfort and direction - Our COVID-19 Weddings Advice Guide

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Phone calls, or email, are considered perfectly proper for cancelling an event.
    If email, make sure it is not a terse, brief one, but written like a short letter.
    Apology first, we are so sorry we ... Given reason, Due to the need to avoid gatherings...Say if you plan to reschedule the wedding at some point, or plan to marry with a small private ceremony, if you know.Wish them well. Don't let it sound like a text. But like a note , delivered by email.And for anyone you do not reach, phone or email, write a note on plain paper, like the one for email. Etiquette does not require a printed or purchased anything, for a cancellation. And here, people expect it. So it will be easy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics