We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jamie
Savvy October 2021

How long did you plan for?

Jamie, on February 24, 2020 at 11:28 AM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved Save

HI all, so we got engaged back in Dec 2017. I originally wanted to get married in 2019 but we hit a financial crisis. We are just getting our finances back in order and I wanted to get married this year 2020 in Nov. But afraid we won't be able to make payments for venue, catering, etc by then. So we may go for Nov 2021... I feel weird having to keep changing the years haha, people ask when the wedding is and we just shrug and say "Hopefully this year but idk". Has anyone else changed years due to finances or any reason?

We can't get loans. We can't get credit cards. No one in our family can help financially. It's just us and no savings, so the money will be directly from our paychecks each month.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Gen, on February 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM
  • Emily
    Super August 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    If it financially won’t work I think it is totally fine to put it off! That way you can afford the wedding you want! Don’t feel rushed!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Makes sense to put it off until you can afford it! However I’d also value building a savings account over throwing a fancy wedding. Not sure how much you’re planning to spend on it but maybe consider doing something smaller so you won’t be as financially strained.
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I got pregnant about two weeks after we got engaged. So we are getting married early next year. It gave us the perfect amount of time to save and pay for almost everything ourselves. I’d wait until next year when you can afford it. You can both use your taxes to secure a date for next year while it’s cheaper. And get married in a off month nov-March and on a Sunday or Friday or even a weekday and you’ll save tons of money. Don’t worry about everyone else. They’ll be just fine. You don’t want to have to struggle and go into debt. Take your time and do what’s best for you. You can start planning and venue searching now so you can get an estimate of what you’ll be paying. Good luck.
  • Jamie
    Savvy October 2021
    Jamie Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It definitely won't be a fancy wedding lol. We are looking at decently cheap venues. Thanks for you comment, I just feel weird changing the year several times now.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    It makes sense to put it off and it’s responsible of you to try to save up for it instead of gaining debt over it
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Makes sense! Maybe just tell people you don’t know yet when they ask when the wedding is?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics