We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kendra
Savvy July 2021

Honeymoon ideas that don't require air travel

Kendra, on June 16, 2020 at 3:27 AM Posted in Honeymoon 1 26
Saved Save

Hi All,

So my FH gets terrible air sickness. We went to my cousin's wedding in February in TX and the flight from Pittsburgh was just torturous for him - poor guy threw up 4 times each way Smiley sad I don't want him to have to worry about a plane for our honeymoon, so I'm looking for USA suggestions that we can drive to from Pennsylvania. I was thinking Nova Scotia or somewhere in the Carolinas but I don't know much about those places. Does anyone have suggestions?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Anna, on June 24, 2020 at 1:00 AM
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Hi!

I get terribly airsick, too, so I sympathize. I'm guessing he does all the usual things to quell it? (Dramamine, seabands, gum, etc.?) I do better if I'm drugged up, exhausted, and *slightly* hungry. Usually I can sleep, then.

That said, the Outer Banks are a great place to go, if you like beaches. You could also do a city tour - if you're in Pittsburgh, you've got everything from Toronto to Chicago to Boston to NYC in play.

What do you two like to do?

• Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Maybe NYC? it's so much to see here. Also depends when you guys would come!
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    Poconos in Pennsylvania possibly?! Or depending on the time of year Newport Rhode Island?
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    If its in the summer I’d suggest Block Island!!!!
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted March 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag

I think there are a lot of options - just depends how far you want to drive and what vibe you want (relaxing or adventure). I think the poconos would be amazing for a honeymoon. You can get a nice resort room w/ a hot tub and views. There's also always options like NYC, upstate NY, Niagara Falls, various places in Canada, Virginia Beach, Chicago etc.

• Lena
    Devoted May 2021
    Lena ·
    • Flag

How far are you willing to drive? There's lots to do and see in Canada, you can also drive down to Florida or New Orleans. You can rent a honeymoon cabin in the smokey mountains which is closer. Are you beach people or mountain people?

• Samantha
    Devoted October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    You could take a cross country train from Toronto to Vancouver. There are beautiful train journeys, in window covered wagons.
  • Samantha
    Devoted July 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    We got a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN & we'll be driving from Ohio. My step-brother actually just went and he said it was beautiful and there was a lot to do.
  • M
    Super January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

I had a magical trip to Quebec City (not in the US, of course, but then neither is Nova Scotia) with my parents a couple of years ago. I think it would be a very romantic honeymoon destination. It's so beautiful, historic, and old-world French/European. And it has a world-class food scene. Stay inside the old city and walk everywhere.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Have you considered anything by train? i know amtrak does train vacations now. similar to how cruises are.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with Quebec City. I just did a quick search and it looks like it's about an 11 hour drive from Pittsburgh, but if you're okay with that, the old city really is like visiting an old European city. It's a pretty drive too.

• M
    Super January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Whoops, I admit I didn't look up the distance. That would be too far of a driving trip for me unless I had the extra vacation time to allow for 2 days of travel each way. Smiley smile When we went, we flew to New Hampshire (from California) and drove from there. But, it is a FABULOUS destination, no matter what.

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm actually originally from NYC, so we got that one covered! I definitely recommend it for anyone who hasn't been there though!

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh! I'll have to look into that. That sounds like a great option, thanks!

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Well, I'm from NYC and we both are more country-oriented than city. We are looking for something with outdoor adventure options, good cuisine, and some unique "hidden gems"

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I forgot about Block Island, thats a great idea!

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I had no idea, I'll have to look into that!

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We are open to a road trip! We like both beaches and mountain areas, just nothing too spring-break oriented. We are 35 and 37, so we are over the partying/bar scene haha

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Niagara Falls is a great idea!

• Kendra
    Savvy July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'll have to look it up!