Debbie
Expert May 2014

Hi, I'm new here

Debbie, on October 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 25
Saved Save

I've been lurking for a few weeks and since you all seem so nice, I decided to go public. My FH and I have been together since 1991, have been living together since 1996. I am 56, he's 52. I have a 32 yo daughter and 29 yo son. We have 3 grandkids. This is my second marriage, his first. Life in general and other specific things delayed us getting married, but now we've taken the plunge. It's exciting and frustrating planning the wedding but I am happy to be getting married.

I have my dress, bm dresses, venue, band, officiant, photographer and std/invitations/thank you's all purchased/booked. My sister is my MOH, my daughter a bridesmaid. FH brother is BM, my son is groomsman.

The thing that is frustrating is the decorations for the venue. They're not supplied so I'm debating centerpieces constantly. I know I have time so it will work out.

Sorry for the length of this. Thanks for reading.

25 Comments

• Donna
    Master June 2014
    Donna ·
    • Flag

Welcome, Debbie. There are a lot of creative people here who would be more than willing to help you work out your decoration problems.

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

Welcome! i am older than you if that helps Smiley smile congratulations...

now change your avatar quickly before laudie nudges you!

you will most definely find the help you need here and i bet you give everyone a lot of good advice too!

• Crystal A.
    Super October 2013
    Crystal A. ·
    • Flag

First off congratulations! Most be exciting to.finally be getting married and as to centerpieces do you have a theme or an idea of what you would like?

• Jacqulyn
    Dedicated October 2013
    Jacqulyn ·
    • Flag

Welcome! The beauty of a May wedding is that you'll have all kinds of Spring flowers to choose from if you want to go that way for centerpieces!

• Debbie
    Expert May 2014
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

I have a picture in my profile, but it doesn't show here and I can't find the thread with the instructions.....I'll get it eventually.

• Courtney F
    VIP April 2014
    Courtney F ·
    • Flag

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot done!! Can't wait to hear more!

• T.
    Master November 2013
    T. ·
    • Flag

Welcome, Debbie! It seems as though you have almost everything figured out already. You're definitely on the right path and came to the right place for some sound advice! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! xoxo

• Nay
    Master August 2014
    Nay ·
    • Flag

Congrats and welcome (officially) to WW. You'll get tons of ideas on here.

Happy planning Smiley smile

• Debbie
    Expert May 2014
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

Thank you all. I don't really have a theme, just spring and incorporate butterflies into the decorations. I'm really liking flowers in boxes arrangements I've seen on pintrest, but live flowers are scaring me cost wise and amount of work the day of. We have to do the set up. I figured out the avatar!! it's from the plane window last year coming home from Jamaica with my sister and bff.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

Welcome!! I think you will get alot of ideas off here, How about candles with some some silk butterfly of ledge of tea light holder? be sure they wont burn up from flame) or get stickers and put them on the glass candle holders to decorate them. You could go to craft store and get construction paper and a punch and make your own an sprinkle them all over tables. or consider using silk flowers.

• Debbie
    Expert May 2014
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

Thanks Susan, I am seriously considering silk flowers, but since I want to see them in person I have to wait until all the Christmas stuff is gone from the stores. I'm not feeling candles for some reason, even though I do like them. The venue is on a lake with a tented ceiling and huge windows so I'm feeling flowers in keeping with the outdoorsy feel.

• Kelly H
    Super November 2013
    Kelly H ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW. I'm so glad to see the over 50 brides here since I'm in that group. I'm not the crafty type so I'll let those that are give you recommendations. This group is great.

It's very nice to have you here.

• Zzil
    Master October 2014
    Zzil ·
    • Flag

Welcome, and congratulations on your engagement! The flower box centerpieces sound beautiful for a May wedding.

• Denise
    VIP May 2014
    Denise ·
    • Flag

Welcome Debbie. I agree with @Lizz, the flower box centerpieces sound like a great idea to me too and your venue sounds beautiful.

• Odidalia
    Expert July 2014
    Odidalia ·
    • Flag

Welcome Debbie, wow such a nice story, hope you find the forums helpful, the ideas of some of the ladies in the forums are great and have helped me a lot in the planning process

• soon to be Mrs. M
    Expert May 2014
    soon to be Mrs. M ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW glad to have u here.

For centerpieces think of your theme. Is it casual and laid back or glamorous. Do you know your colours and flowers yet cuz that will help. Look online at pictures and if something really catches your eye bookmark it so u can look back at it later to see if it still grabs you. Also you can post pics and get opinions here if you aren't sure

• Debbie
    Expert May 2014
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

Wow! You are all so amazing. I was really hesitant to post anywhere considering my age and how long we've been together. I know it doesn't matter what people think, but in my heart I do care about people's opinions, you all dashed all my doubts.

I'll be back later with some pics of my favorites....have to get to work...

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW and CONGRATULATIONS!

• *Mrs_D*
    Master October 2014
    *Mrs_D* ·
    • Flag

Welcome, congrats on FINALLY taking the plunge and happy planning Smiley smile!!!!

• Rosetle
    Savvy May 2014
    Rosetle ·
    • Flag

Welcome and congrats fellow May 2014 wedding! That's beautiful the details of your wedding and background! For decorations I went simple and thank goodness my venue has cylinders, candle holders, marbles, etc., I can use! I went really basic with orchids in water in those cylinders with a floating candle on top. I bought tealights for the holders in bulk from Partylite "specials" and IKEA. Then some fake rose petals (for color) from Ebay to spread out on the table. Simple and not too expensive. Never hurts to look around and online.

Comment on this discussion