Jen
Savvy September 2020

Having my dress for longer than a year

Jen, on July 1, 2019 at 11:45 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 30
Saved Save
I picked up my dress today and our wedding is not for another 453 days (yikes!!). Any tips/tricks for storing it until then, not spilling the beans to the fiancé, avoiding dress regret, etc. ??

Picture of it too because I’m obsessed (HP Markle, all Ivory)

Having my dress for longer than a year 1

30 Comments

• Melle
    Master June 2019
    Melle ·
    How pretty ! Definitely get a garment bag or box to store it in. Amazon has some good inexpensive ones
  • Gabrielle
    Dedicated January 2020
    Gabrielle ·
    Gorgeous!! To avoid dress regret, I’d suggest avoiding looking at dresses on Pinterest or elsewhere online, and don’t go into stores that carry pretty white dresses.
  • Sydney
    Savvy June 2020
    Sydney ·

I LOVE YOUR DRESS!!!!! You are going to looking STUNNING on your wedding day!

I'm storing my dress too, for about 380 days before our wedding. What I'm doing is keeping it at my mom's house in a plastic garment bag to prevent things from getting into the dress/it getting dirty, and I'm keeping it in a 100% dark room (AKA my closet) to prevent the dress from changing colors.

Tbh, I look at other wedding dresses on pinterest too, but I always look at pictures of myself in my dress to remind myself that I look great in my dress, and I would be making the wrong the decision if I looked at anything else.

• Kimberly
    Devoted April 2020
    Kimberly ·
    I drilled a hole in my ceiling (not kidding haha) and i have it in the plastic garment bag along with the nicer bag the bridal shop gave me, it is hanging from my ceiling. I have a significantly long train so i didn't want it super bunched in my closet, this give it a little more room but obviously is a little more work.
  • Anna
    Devoted April 2020
    Anna ·
    Your dress is so beautiful. I got mine in jan and I'm not getting married until next april. I got this cute bag on etsy and have it in the back of my closet. Make sure it's in a cool place and away from light.
  • Cheryl
    Expert October 2020
    Cheryl ·
    Cool dry place away from light, yes, but I also read that a cloth bag is best because the plastic bags have chemicals in them that can discolored your dress. Also, to avoid strain on the top of the dress, store flat instead of hanging.
  • C
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Christine ·
    That dress is absolutely gorgeous. I also have my dress and my wedding is a year away. I was told to keep it in the bag and it will be fine.
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Don’t store your dress in plastic! Plastic bags can cause dresses to discolor. Use a cloth garment bag. There was a bride on here not long ago who stored her dress in plastic for months and it was ruined.
  • Jen
    Savvy September 2020
    Jen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    This!! What an amazing idea, last night was a struggle to hang it high enough to not slouch on the floor
  • Emily
    Expert April 2020
    Emily ·

I agree with everyone else here, do not look at other dresses and don't let anyone else show you dresses! Get a good garment bag and keep in a cool, dry place, preferably dark as well.

• Erin
    Devoted May 2020
    Erin ·

Wow it's beautiful! I would suggest a garment bag so that it doesn't get ruined. You still might have to steam it before the wedding. Also, I would try as best you can to not look at other dresses. As for FH, good luck! I'll be struggling to not tell mine right after I buy my dress!

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Cliodhna ·

Great advice from all the PPs Jen!

Your dress is so stunning

• Tina
    Super August 2019
    Tina ·

Oh my that is beautiful!

• Kristen
    VIP April 2020
    Kristen ·
    I got my dress in July 2018 for our April 2020 wedding!! I have it stored in a fabric (not plastic) garment bag that the shop gave me. It is currently in a well ventilated large closet in my MOH’s parents house while my parents are in the process of showing their house and moving. It’s is not hanging, it is laying out on a shelf. It’s a non smoking house, pets not allowed in that room, away from any light source. MOH’s mom put a glade plugin “fresh linen” going near it too.
  • Kelsey
    Dedicated September 2019
    Kelsey ·
    I got mine way over a year out and still love it SO much! I always see different dresses, but luckily I’ve never had dress regret because I knew mine was the perfect choice for me. Now I’m only 2 months out! Definitely keep it in a fabric garment bag. I keep mine in the back of my closet so I forget it’s there, but my fiancé has never even tried to look, I think they like having it be a surprise!
  • Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·

Gorgeous dress!!

For storage, make sure it's not in a plastic bag. That can cause yellowing over time. Either a cloth garment bag, or a box. Also, if you're going to hang it up, make sure to use the little interior straps that are there for that purpose. If you hang it by the actual straps of the dress, they can stretch out over time.

The only way I know to avoid dress regret is to not look at any more dresses!! Stop shopping. You found the one!

As for not spilling the beans to FH, that's on you! lol

FH and I live together, so I knew I couldn't keep my dress at home, because he's like a kid on Christmas. Any time there is a surprise, he's out there like a detective, trying to solve the case. So, I took the dress to his mother's house. She's got it in her closet, and guarding it with her life! lol not really. But you get what I mean. When we go over there, she just gives him this look that says, "don't you dare go near my closet!" It works.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·

WOW I love love love your dress! I've never seen one like that! The detail is amazing and you look STUNNING

• Katelyn
    Dedicated June 2021
    Katelyn ·

Your dress is GORGEOUS! Wondering the same as my wedding isn't for 703 days and I found my dress very early.

• Expert October 2020
    ·
    First, delete the pic from your phone and any recent texts. I was texting my mom a pic of my dress and I still swear my fiancé saw it when he leaned in for a kiss. My wedding is about 20 days shy of yours and I already have my dress. It’s hanging in the back of my closet in the bag. It’s white so he can’t see a thing. I agree with others about not looking at other dresses as well.
  • Gabrielle
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabrielle ·

This dress is gorgeous!

I personally stopped following all of the bridal boutiques I previously followed on IG and FB. I got my dress in April an am not getting married until June!

Comment on this discussion