Hopiate
Dedicated May 2018

Has anyone had a POSITIVE dry wedding experience?

Hopiate, on June 2, 2017 at 4:19 AM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 138

After searching these forums pretty thoroughly, I'm genuinely curious - has anyone ever enjoyed themselves at a dry wedding? Most posters just talk about all the negative things about a dry wedding i.e. poor hosting, cheap reception, boring, etc. But have there ever been any positives? We are going...

After searching these forums pretty thoroughly, I'm genuinely curious - has anyone ever enjoyed themselves at a dry wedding?

Most posters just talk about all the negative things about a dry wedding i.e. poor hosting, cheap reception, boring, etc. But have there ever been any positives?

We are going to have a dry reception because of a variety of reasons (religion of guests, medical reasons for myself and guests, AA guests, etc.) and I come from an area where dry receptions are pretty common (LOTS of Mormons) so I'm not worried about my guests giving me side-eye. I just would like to know if anyone here has had a good time at a dry reception, and if you did, what made it fun, despite not having the typical party atmosphere? Was there really good food, a fun non-alcoholic drink bar, or something else?

(I'm not looking for the typical "No. Just don't have one." responses. I've already read plenty of reasons not to have a dry reception.)

138 Comments

• Natalie
    VIP June 2017
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

And I just got my five stars off that post complaining about dry weddings. Seems fitting seeing half my posts are complaining about this ;-)

• Hopiate
    Dedicated May 2018
    Hopiate ·
    • Flag

@Natalie Hahah way to go! I felt pretty lame making yet ANOTHER post about dry weddings, but I didn't want to make the mistakes of those that came before me.

• Zulander
    Super July 2017
    Zulander ·
    • Flag

I've been to a few dry weddings, and honestly it doesn't seem to bother me. Would I prefer to have a glass of wine with dinner? Sure. Do I need one? No. The ones I have been to, it has always been clear that it was going to be a dry wedding (religion related). As long as there is good food and all the other component parts of good hosting, I can get by without a drink in hand.

• E.V.
    VIP November 2017
    E.V. ·
    • Flag

I've been to two dry weddings and had a good time. One had much better food than the other, but I wasn't bored at either, and left happy. There wasn't dancing at either, but no one seemed to mind. Dry weddings are common where I am, as well, since I'm in the Bible Belt.

editing/words

• DrJames
    Devoted September 2017
    DrJames ·
    • Flag

I've been to one. Dry and no dancing. It was fine. The only thing that was a bit awkward was the "champagne" toast (sparkling cider) that only the bride and groom participated in. The food was tasty, the harpist excellent. These weren't party people, so I don't think anyone expected anything else. Of course, I was MOH so maybe I was too busy to miss the alcohol.

• cokesmcgokes
    Expert November 2017
    cokesmcgokes ·
    • Flag

Just went to one a few months ago, it was a daytime wedding, lunch was catered, and they had a soda bar w different flavor syrups. There was no dancing, but instead they had board games set up at each table, which is v true to them. Honestly we had a great time and it was over by 4pm (unfortunately didn't get to finish our game). i don't know that other people necessarily enjoyed it as much, but it seemed a lot guests were older church crowd folk, so i have no clue how they feel about the dry part.

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·
    • Flag

I have a good time wherever I go.

I was raised in an alcohol-free home, as was my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, etc., so I can live without it, for one night evening; I have a 2-glasses of wine limit per evening, anyway.

I would rather have fabulous food and entertainment, than alcohol. I've been to one too may weddings where we've had to stop for food, on the way home, because the guest hosting was lacking (food quality and quantity).

• Anna
    Super October 2017
    Anna ·
    • Flag

Most of the dry weddings I went to were before I was 21 and were family weddings so I wouldn't have been drinking anyways but I've been to 1 as an adult and I wouldn't have minded too much if everything else was hosted well. It seems that a lot of people don't host bars because they can't afford it and a lot of times I see other poor hosting mistakes with people that have dry bars. The last dry wedding I went to was a church reception that only had grocery store veggie trays, water and punch. The bride and groom did a cake cutting with a personal sized cake in front of everyone but didn't serve cake to the guests. This wasn't their fault but the a/c was broken in late August in SC so I was sweating and all I did the whole reception was stand off to the side. I paid over $700 to be at the wedding. It was my FH's cousin's wedding and I had only met that cousin once so I was definitely irritated that I spent all that money and wasn't fed, didn't have free alcohol and they cut cake without serving us dessert. If the food is a full and delicious meal and good dessert, it's not too big of a deal to me to not have alcohol. Unless I knew a lot of people at the wedding I probably wouldn't be dancing and would be kind of bored without the dancing. Even with good food, I'll probably be a little annoyed (especially if I paid to travel to the wedding) but I won't be as annoyed if the food is really good.

• Powers2
    Master April 2018
    Powers2 ·
    • Flag

Dry weddings aren't a thing here so I've never been to one or could imagine being invited to one.

I think maybe I could see a dry wedding being ok if it was a smaller sit down brunch or luncheon type of wedding that lasted no more than 2 hours.

• Mrs. Koalajetski
    Super May 2017
    Mrs. Koalajetski ·
    • Flag

My wedding was a dry one and there were no complaints about it. They still enjoyed themselves with dancing, photo booth and mingling with friends/family. The negatives from my wedding were due to a GM and his children along with a bad wedding planner. Everyone raved about the food and desserts (well the few who got some before the in incident) and didn't care that there was no alcohol.

• VC
    Master May 2017
    VC ·
    • Flag

My husband has been to two weddings that were dry and both were in typical Chinese banquets hall restaurant things. He didn't seem too bored but obviously the event was just dinner and then goodbye. No events, no games, nothing, no dancing etc.

The couple's reasoning for no alcohol was because they did not want to spend the money.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

No one is going to tell the bride that their wedding is boring and that they wanted to leave early.

You said there are people that would like to have a few beers. Why not serve beer or wine? If its not a religious issue, the rest is just excuses. AA guests still go to restaurants that serve beer? no? Those with religious issues can stick to the other options, just like when they go to a restaurant?

• MsMac
    Expert September 2017
    MsMac ·
    • Flag

@Kathryn, why are wasting your time trying to convince OP to? serve alcohol after she made it very clear she had no intention of doing so? You don't have to attend this wedding, so I can't for the life of me understand why you feel the need to tell the bride that you don't approve of her decisions. Also, alcoholism is not an excuse. It's a serious and destructive disease. If the OP thinks that a dry wedding is the best thing to do for her AA guests, then that's the end of the story.

• Jay Farrell
    Jay Farrell ·
    • Flag

If an early afternoon wedding with a short reception, that's one thing....but a proper reception, I'd not stay long and neither would most of your guests....totally celibate.

• PinkFlamingo
    Super October 2017
    PinkFlamingo ·
    • Flag

The dry wedding success story I attended was a noon wedding at a chapel and a backyard picnic style reception overlooking the mountains. They served boxed lunches which were decent, there could have been improvement here. But there were blankets and chairs spread around and you could sit, mix & mingle as you pleased. They served coke/soda in glass bottles which I thought was an awesome touch & something I would definitely consider doing. They also had a DJ & dancing, and yep, we danced!

• Private_User832
    Master August 2017
    Private_User832 ·
    • Flag

I've actually never been to a dry wedding. But I think they can be positive with the right attitude

• StokedToBeASaucier
    Master September 2017
    StokedToBeASaucier ·
    • Flag

Nope. I went to a dry-wedding once and it was absolutely terrible. But the food was also terrible, there was no dancing, and no seating chart. Just a terrible wedding all around.

• A
    Dedicated March 2018
    Ashlee ·
    • Flag

I have been to plenty of dry weddings and I have had a ball. Everyone does not need alcohol to have fun!!!

• Susan
    VIP December 2017
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I've been to a couple of dry weddings (all for religious reasons). Honestly, most of them rank in the bottom of weddings I've attended. I will say that the ones who did it the best kept the reception short- meal, cut the cake, and that's it, we're done. It get awkward when they try to have dancing (it ended up being just little kids on the dance floor) or try to extend anything past dinner and cake. Most adults don't want to sit around and play games for very long- it's ok for maybe an hour (like during cocktail hour) but after that, no.

• DandT715
    Super July 2017
    DandT715 ·
    • Flag

I've never been to a dry wedding, but I have been to weddings with terrible food/not enough food and no dessert! It sounds like you're going to have plenty of food and delicious cheesecake (!!!), and you know your crowd. Sounds like you're on the right track.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics