Ann
Devoted September 2021

Grooms cake!

Ann, on October 29, 2019 at 12:43 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 56
Saved Save
Hey! What are you guys doing for your grooms cake?!
The last 3 weddings we have gone to they didn’t do them, is it still a thing? Cause I still plan on doing it for my FH!

56 Comments

• Lexis
    Beginner October 2021
    Lexis ·
    • Flag
    I never seen a grooms cake at a wedding but I definitely want to! I wanna do a Harry Potter theme one for him !
  • Ann
    Devoted September 2021
    Ann ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah I have only seen it done at one wedding! But I really like the idea!
    I think I’m just gonna do his favorite NFL team.
  • Renee
    Super October 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag
    I've never seen one or really heard of one before, tbh
  • AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·
    • Flag

I think groom's cakes are more common in various regions as most weddings I've been to in the South have them, though some people use them at the rehearsal dinner. We didn't do one, though we did have more than one "cake". Personally, I've found that too many groom's cakes look like kid's party cakes (sorry, not sorry), not a fan of that, but two tasty desserts is better than one!

• Mallory
    Dedicated October 2020
    Mallory ·
    • Flag
    I’ve lived in the south my whole life, and i feel like it’s definitely a southern thing! most of my northern friends have never heard of them. we are doing grooms cookies! they’ll be decorated with his favorites; harry potter and star wars!
  • Megan
    Rockstar November 2020
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I’m in PA & have been to some weddings with, some without; one we went to recently had a grooms cake, but it was at the rehearsal dinner.

I don’t plan on doing one. My FH isn’t a big cake eater so it would be a complete waste... I’m thinking about other dessert options for him though, since I want him to have something he enjoys!
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t do a grooms cake per day, but the flavor he wanted couldn’t be put in the big cake, so we got a tiny cake in the flavor he wanted, and he didn’t even wind up getting a piece!
    It was just decorated plain, no fancy/theme design.
    I would ask your FH what he wants.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I had never heard of this but my fiancé insisted on it. This is what we’re doing.

Grooms cake! 1
  • Kayla
    Savvy October 2019
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    I’m from Louisiana and I’ve seen them at wedding. We opted not to do them as it saved us some money and wasn’t necessary for us to have two cakes. Do whatever you want!
  • Julia
    Dedicated October 2020
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing a stacked hunting theme cake. It will be much smaller than the wedding cake. We’re doing a “naked” cake but my FH loves frosting so I wanted to do something for him. It will be chocolate mud cake with salted caramel filling and white sprinkle cake with white chocolate ganache filling. He is a big kid at heart and I thought the flavors would be great for the kids at the wedding as our cake has non traditional flavors
  • J
    Dedicated October 2019
    Jeana ·
    • Flag
    I’m from Texas and they’re definitely a thing here. The more cake the better I say. I’m with the PP who said a lot of them end up looking like kids birthday cakes which I’m not a fan of. We did pumpkin spice w cream cheese buttercream and a dog cake topper I had made by a woman on Etsy that looks like our pup. It was perfect!

Grooms cake! 2
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    I ordered a large Sheet 🎂 (feeds 96) from Wal-Mart for the 🤵’s 🎂 for pick up 2 hours prior to the Wedding. This allowed for maximum freshness.

That combined with the Wedding 🎂made enough for almost 250 people. I ordered to go 📦es for the extra 🍰.

Since most people love Wedding 🍰, the guests were glad to take it off of our hands.

There was still 🍰 left after that.

I packed a bit of it in 🍰📦es and put it in the Freezer for some of my Bridal Party. Along with 2 additional pieces that went to DH’s co-worker that didn’t get any 🍰.
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations and 🍀‼️
  • K
    Dedicated November 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    Its really up to you guys my FH don't want one himself so we having one cake back of I will have nightmare before Christmas ( his favorite moive) and the rest will be pretty with flowers and stuff
  • B
    Expert July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

They do tend to be regional. We had doughnuts for the grooms "cake" (and pies as the "wedding cake," so nontraditional all the way)

• Reena
    Dedicated July 2020
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    Definitely a thing in the South. My fiancé doesn’t want one. We cut it out to save money.
  • Tara
    Super November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Groom's Cakes ideasGrooms cake! 3lumberjack cakeGrooms cake! 4football cakeGrooms cake! 5

We personally didn't have one at our wedding. It felt like something additional we didn't need and my husband didn't really care. We had a 4 tier wedding cake too, and that was more than we were going to need in terms of cake anyway. But, they are definitely still a thing and many people have them! I've seen groom's cakes relating to a favorite sports team, hobbies, or profession (ex. golf cake, or police officer badge, or football team etc.). Here are a few photos I found for inspiration of things to do. I will say, my sister-in-law had one at her wedding and they never even ended up cutting the cake, the whole thing went home with them! Another option is to serve it at the rehearsal dinner.

• Tara
    Super November 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Here's a great article about groom's cakes!!

https://www.brides.com/story/things-to-know-about-grooms-cake

• Jessica
    VIP October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    My husband is from Texas and I had heard about it a lot in the South (and from steel magnolias haha) so it was really important for me to do one for him. Surprised him with it and loved seeing his reaction Smiley smile Everyone loved it.

Grooms cake! 6
  • Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

Working in the catering business i have seen these! mostly for the rehearsal dinner as a surprise. but they are so much fun!!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics