Trisha
Super October 2020

Going Wedding Dress Shopping Alone

Trisha, on March 20, 2020 at 9:18 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved
I Have My First Bridal Appt Tomorrow And My Only “Friend” I Have In The Area Bailed Last Minute. I Dont Have Any Friends Or Family In The State I Live. Ill Be FaceTiming My Sister During The Appointment But In Still Bummed That I Have To Go Through This Experience Alone.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Katharine, on March 21, 2020 at 1:43 AM
  • Rowena
    Beginner March 2021
    Rowena ·
    • Flag
    Hi, it’s not so bad. Actually, I went on my own too just because none of my close girlfriends live in the area. It was actually a really good experience; I was able to be more honest with myself. Since I didn’t have anyone there to sway my decision, I was able to make a decision more quickly. Weird but it worked! The important thing is to make sure you have an attentive dress consultant to help you and listen to your needs and vision. Good luck!
  • C
    Dedicated December 2021
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, it’s so much better alone. At least you’ll be FaceTiming your sister. The first and second times I brought 4-5 people with me and it was so overwhelming and I hated almost every second of it. The third (last) time I went, I just brought my mom and it was a sigh of relief. Hang in there. It sucks having “friends” bail but you’ll be more happy in the end!
  • romtina
    Savvy April 2021
    romtina ·
    • Flag
    Just try to make the best of it. Maybe it will get your mind onto happier things. Personally I enjoyed going dress shopping by myself. I wasn't influenced by anybody else's opinion and could just "listen" to the way I felt. Have a good time!
  • Belle
    VIP August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    Same here. I went dress shopping by myself. I wish my mom, sis, and besties are closeby, but they are 27 hours flight away from me, so yeah.... 😞

In the bright side, I am able to decide 100% which dress I like without any influence. I tried 18 dresses, and when I had the 16th I suddenly fell so emotional and tears rolling down in front of the mirror. Trying on the 17th and 18th was like “nope, nothing can beat that dress I like”.
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Ditto going alone! There's so much less pressure, and you can actually focus on what you want without everyone else's opinions. It let's you relax and enjoy the day. And hey, you can always text someone if you really need an opinion!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I went alone and ya know what - it’s nice. 1) you get to have your own opinion because people often times have such varying styles as you 2) it’s some good “me” time - often times we forget how to be alone
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    And also forgot 3) you can take your time!
  • Amanda
    Dedicated January 2021
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    I went on my own by choice and it was an AMAZING experience! The consultant only had to focus on one thing, me and what I wanted. I had too many people telling me what I should be looking for and I was so confused before going. So I didn’t tell anyone and got my dream dress! No one else has to love it but you and your fiancé!
  • Rachel
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    I prefer shopping alone so I can get an idea of what I want .. it’s been great!
  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

I went by myself more than once. It wasn’t bad. And I had salon lady take pics and videos. Plus FaceTime. Much easier as you get rid of other people’s opinion and can focus on what you like. I’ll go with you. Not sure where you live but I think you could like it.

• Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag
    I did my dress shopping alone 3x before I found my dress. It wasn't as "fun" but since my opinion is the only one that really matters, it made things simpler.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics