Kelly
Legend October 2022

Faux Pas or Nah: Asking your bridesmaids to pay for professional hair and makeup?

Kelly, on February 26, 2019 at 11:05 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 76
Saved Save

When it comes to getting your hair and makeup done professionally as a bridesmaid, do you think if a bride requires it they should pay for it? Or do you think it’s a cost of being a bridesmaid?

Do you think it’s a faux pas to ask your bridesmaids to foot the bill, or just part of being in the bridal party?

Faux Pas or Nah: Asking your bridesmaids to pay for professional hair and makeup? 1

Photo by Bradley Images Inc. in MD

Next Question: Faux Pas or Nah: Not inviting all out-of-town guests to your rehearsal dinner?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

76 Comments

• Clara
    Dedicated August 2019
    Clara ·
    • Flag

I think if a bride requires it they should pay for it. The first wedding I was a bridesmaid in took place just 2 years after college and none of us were making a ton of money yet. We all had to fly to get there, rent a car, buy a $150 dress, new shoes, and paying for hair or makeup on top of it was just too much. Her artists and stylists had a minimum number of people required so she basically forced us to pick one. I think she did feel bad about not giving us more of a heads up. Her MOH almost cried she was so stressed out about the cost plus hated her makeup and took most of it off and I redid it for her.

• Brittany
    Super October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

Agreed with PP. I think if a bride is requiring a certain look, it should be paid for. I am gifting my bridesmaids one service of their choosing (either hair or makeup) and they have the option of buying the other service if they'd like. It's certainly not required and I just want my bridesmaids to be happy. They seemed to really appreciate the gift of one of the services though.

• Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag

Faux pas! If it's required, the bride pays. If it's optional, the bridesmaids pay.

I'm paying for everyone's makeup as I really wanted it to be done; hair is optional so my girls are paying (all are getting it done, though).

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

Faux Pa. You can offer but you can't require unless you are paying.

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag

100% if a bride requires it, she needs to pay for it.

Faux Pas.

• Mrs. H
    Master September 2019
    Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

Faux pas for sure. Leave the option open, sure, but if you're requiring a certain hairstyle or professional makeup, the bride needs to pay.

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

I think it's fine to have them pay for it if you do not require it.

Anything you require, I think the bride and groom should pay for. I took care of the their dresses. Make up was a total option.

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

If it is a requirement, the bride should pay. I paid for a portion (about 25%) of the girls that opted to do it, but they paid for the rest.

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag

Faux pas. If a bride requires it, she should pay.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Anything the bride requires (other than the dress) the bride should pay for.

• Rachel
    Super May 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

I think if the bride requires it, then the bride should pay for it.

• Crisa
    Expert January 2020
    Crisa ·
    • Flag
    I think if the bride wants it and requires it then she should pay for it. I will not be requiring professional makeup or hair for my girls.
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

If it's required, the bride should pay. If it is offered, then the bridal party member should pay.

• Alicia
    VIP August 2019
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

I think if you are requiring that they get their hair and makeup done, then you need to pay for it. However, if you are just giving them the option, then I think it's ok for them to pay for it. I'm not requiring my people to have professional services done, but gave them the option and a rough estimate of what it would cost. It is not in my budget to pay for everyone, but wanted them to at least have the option if they wanted to pay for it themselves.

• Veronica
    Savvy May 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Well I was in a wedding 2yrs ago and the bride told us how much hair and makeup was. Figured since I was from out of town why not. She let us know ahead of time and everyone agreed. Turned our good. For my wedding I told my bridal party and gave them an option. The only thing is they MUST get ready with me so my photograph can capture pictures. So one girl is doing her own makeup which is cool with me as long as she blends with my other bridesmaids.
  • Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    • Flag
    Faux pas. If they are required to get their hair and makeup done the bride needs to pay for it.
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    If the bride requires it then she should pay for it. If the bridesmaids want it on their free will then they should do their own or pay for their h&mu.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I would never ask someone to pay to have their hair and makeup done if they didn't want to. My cousin did her own and she looked beautiful

• Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

If it's being required by the bride, bride should pay. If bride makes it optional, bridesmaid pays.

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Full say = you pay.

But expecting them to pay if they elect to get their hair/makeup done - totally acceptable.

Comment on this discussion