Alyy
Beginner September 2019

Expensive wedding dress for city hall

Alyy, on March 22, 2019 at 4:12 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved Save
I found my dream dress and with everything done comes out to $2200. We recently changed our minds and are going for a 1 hour ceremony at San Francisco city hall then a reception at a fancy restaurant. Should I go for a cheaper dress or is it ok?

20 Comments

• Denise
    Devoted May 2019
    Denise ·
    If you can afford it, you should have it.
  • Future Mrs.greenwood
    Expert September 2019
    Future Mrs.greenwood ·
    Me personally I wouldn’t spend that much on a dress for a city hall then go to a restaurant in it.
  • September186
    Devoted September 2019
    September186 ·
    If you can afford it, go for it! Also, you are saving money in other areas for not having some huge wedding so it works out! Maybe a good idea would be to hire a photographer (maybe on a different day from wedding) to take some really nice pictures of you and your new husband all dressed up - maybe in the closest big city or somewhere more naturey.
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    Your budget is up to you. Only you know if you can afford a $2200 dress.
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    It’s your day! If that’s the dress you want then I say go for it! I personally didn’t and wouldn’t spend that much on a dress lol but I’m cheap 😬😬. But again, that the day is about YOU. If it makes you feel beautiful, then wear what you love!
  • Fiona
    Expert October 2018
    Fiona ·
    I say if you love it do it! But If you go for it can I suggest adding a photographer for a few hours and doing some fun photos around the city! If you love a dress enough to spend $2200 you’ll want photos they can last a life time!
  • Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·

It's your day, if you love it and it's in the budget then go for it!

• Katie
    Super June 2019
    Katie ·
    If that's what you want for your wedding day then do it! You're saving the money elsewhere. It's up to you if you want to splurge on the dress or just wear something simple.
  • FutureMrsC
    Expert October 2019
    FutureMrsC ·

Totally up to you! You can have whatever dress you want in whatever price you feel comfortable paying in whatever location you choose to marry.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

As long as you can afford it, then you should buy the dress that you want.

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    I wouldn't but you do need to feel great too! Have you checked out renting a dress?
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    I agree with others. If you can afford it, GET IT!!! ❤ Please, please hire a photographer so you have wonderful photographic memories. Also, you may want to purchase a decorative wedding certificate to frame.
  • Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I second all of this!
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·

If you can afford it, have at it. I'd def get a photographer to photograph me/us if I was wearing a dress that $$. I probably wouldn't go to a restaurant in my wedding dress though personally - no matter the cost of the dress. I'd find it odd and my luck I'd spill something on me.

• M
    Dedicated May 2019
    Maybride2019 ·
    Just because ur wedding is smaller doesnt mean u dont deserve ur dream dress. Just because a wedding is small doesn't mean a couple cant afford expensive things for their wedding. Our wedding is very small. Guest list 20-25. Ceremony and reception at a very fancy restaurant. My dress was over $2000 and my FHs tux is custom made. Having a big wedding just isnt who we r, but it doesnt mean we cant afford or deserve the expensive things we want for our day.
    GET UR DRESS AND WEAR IT WELL.
  • Lc
    Super September 2018
    Lc ·
    My dress was more than that & we eloped! In my mind, the dress was the most important to me, especially because I could not find anything that I thought looked good on me. So, when I found something that made me feel good, I didn’t give it a second thought.

I do agree with others about hiring a photographer, especially at SF city hall!! It’s so gorgeous there. So if you can afford it, go for what will make you happiest. It’s your day, don’t settle!
  • Halea
    Dedicated November 2019
    Halea ·
    Do it!!!! It doesnt matter where you are getting married. Do you have a picture? I'm going to shorten my dress after and wear it on our anniversary!!! So i feel better about spending so much on a dress.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    Get it! You’re saving a lot of money by going to city hall & a restaurant. Get a dress that makes you feel like a beautiful bride.
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·

If you want the fancy dress, do it! City hall weddings near me have a wide range of dress. From sweats and jeans to formal gowns. It's all on what you want the day if.

• Future Mrs. Polar Bear
    Super April 2019
    Future Mrs. Polar Bear ·

If you can afford it and really want it (FH agrees) than go for it.

Comment on this discussion