We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jessica
Beginner May 2021

Dress matching the venues?

Jessica, on May 1, 2020 at 1:23 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 5
Saved Save
My wedding is a while away (May 2021), but I have been looking at wedding dresses while in quarantine. My problem is that I don't know if the dresses I am gravitating towards are too formal for my wedding venue. My reception will take place at a local state park and my reception will be at the community center. I am loving ballgowns either tulle or satin with minimal lace/beading (very classic and timeless). Are the dresses I've been loving going to clash with my venues??? Help!!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Marisa, on May 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM
  • Kate
    Expert October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag
    While that type of dress isn’t necessarily what I would choose for that type of venue, you‘re in a really cool situation. You have the ability to create the mood of your venue, because it’s essentially a blank slate! When you can, try some dresses on at a local salon. You will know it’s the one when you put it on! The stylists will ask you questions about where your venue is, what shape you like, the theme, fabrics you like/dislikes. Most stylists can match a dress to your body type just by looking at you, it’s incredible. I went into my appointment with a vision of what I thought was going to work for me and walked out with the complete opposite of what I had envisioned.
    Best wishes!

• Jeni
    Devoted July 2021
    Jeni ·
    • Flag
    I don't believe in choosing a dress based on your venue. Choose a dress that you love, looks good on you, and makes you feel great.

You're gravitating toward ballgowns? Fantastic! How many times will you wear a ballgown in your life? Go for it!
    I have a ballgown as my wedding dress, and I would wear it at a church, a castle, a courthouse, the beach, the backyard, or even my living room. I would wear it if I had 5,000 guests or only 5. And I don't give a single care what anyone else has to say about it or whether it "matches" my venue. If you're the bride and you're getting married, it's a perfect fit. #DreamBig
  • Rachael
    Expert May 2021
    Rachael ·
    • Flag
    Get the dress you want and worry about the rest later! Check out Maggie sotteros line, sottero and midgley they have alot of nice satin dresses.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Choose address you love! An A-line can have that timeless ballgown look & feel without being so big and grand. Not sure if that interests you but just an idea. But wear a dress you love because you’ll see it in your photos.
  • Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag

I don't think it clashes at all. What will tie in with the dress is the mood of the day and the elements you choose, such as color, flowers, decor.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics