Skip to main content
Laura
Super September 2020

Dress 1 or 2? i think i know which...

Laura, on March 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 60

But ... this 2 year wedding planning and 3 different dates have me plowed under. The first 3 dates were family challenges and the last one is Covid. So, on a happier note, tell me which one? I think that I am the same weight in both dresses. When I asked yesterday, you said to try them both on... So...

But ... this 2 year wedding planning and 3 different dates have me plowed under. The first 3 dates were family challenges and the last one is Covid. So, on a happier note, tell me which one? I think that I am the same weight in both dresses.

When I asked yesterday, you said to try them both on... So here they are! Mermaid flare or Aline?? Smiley smile

91190401_1422692094558440_6259165211802991334856_525488911734693_854141836654647

60 Comments

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

Mermaid one

• Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!!
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    An unasked for opinion, but one meant to be helpful. For your figure to be shown off in the most flattering way, the flareout of your skirt should be a few inches higher on your legs. When that is the case, and your dress is too long and needs hemming, you do not want to take the hem all from the bottom. Usually, at the place of your silvery waistband, there is a seam hidden by the draped overskirt on your hips. It is possible to detach the main skirt from the bodice (top.) During manufacture, top and bottom were two separate units. . . After cutting the dress at the waist, the lower skirt is pulled up. Til the flare is a couple inches higher on the leg. Then a strip of 2-3, whatever works, is removed right at the middle. The dress is now flaring at a better place in proportion to your height and body line. And the hem is raised that many inches without cutting it all off lower skirt, making it look chopped. It may need a little more trim at the bottom of the dress, or it may end up the standard 1.5 -2 inches from the floor , the standard floor length hem height, with no further adjustment. Many dressmakers who do alterations but have never assembled wedding dress sections from scratch, do not think to do this. But will check it out, if you suggest it, and find they can do that. And have a flare in the right place and a completed hem. People who have put together dresses commercially, quickly see that because this is a common need, the waist is sewn and finished with a more easily removed stitching, than an ordinary seam. Fast to get the right threads, pull, and most of the seam pulls right out.
    It is a gorgeous dress. The wrap around shawl effect , and draping of the shoulders and bodice down to the overskirt are wonderfully shaping the dress to your body. You and the OP Laura both got steals on great dresses.
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Judith,

I think they will hem mine at the middle too. I can't see any way that they can remove the lace at the bottom - there is no seam and it's one complete piece. So. I think they will take it up at the thigh seam. Unfortunately, I'm quite short at 5'1" but well proportioned. Do you think the seam on mine should be adjusted (raised or lowered)? I really love where it is on my thigh- but it's too long so there is the opportunity to adjust where the seam falls. Fortunately, my heels are 4". Thoughts?

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The body is longer than I think would look best, though because we cannot see where your feet are, how much is a question. The lace makes it difficult to see the seam u derneath. But this shirt, if removed, will have to have the threads pulling it I to gathers removed, be cut at the top of the lower piece, and regathered, and I think the lower skirt should be reattached at least three inches higher. Look at the hip line. Your natural hip line swells out, then starts to curve inward. You want the cut just below where it starts the curve in. Looks to be close to 3 in he's further up. Between shortening the body, and cutting the top off the skirt, you can achieve what looks to be a 5-7 inch difference in total length, and shortening the body allows a longer legline, nice on a petite body. Shaped hems always need doing this way. Raise it up. Also, unless you want a bodice for so tight you cannot breathe, you would do well to add straps. Very thin, as little as two pearl beads or crystals wide, spread very wide, almost to the underarm on top front, and coming in at a diagonal not quite as much h as a halter, coming to close to the center of the dress in back. Keeps the dress from slipping, and it will lift your too low dress waist to your natural waist, eliminate sagging at bust. Also, with thin very strong sparkly or beaded straps at that angle, the neckline would be up where it belongs. So bodice we will not slip down, then stretch at the upper edge every time you tug it up, making it more likely to fall faster, stretching as you tug the edge. Endless. And then the bodice can be looser to eat, dance . You have a nice bustling, but the dress is dragging it down. Very thin straps are sexy, don't take away from the bare shoulder look. And if straps end close to center back, they will not slide down your shoulders.. I make it sound like a lot needs changeing, but it is really simple, only straps and that seam joining, and it is easy, so not really expensive, for a great dress.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    If you are pulling up at the top with straps to pull up from top edge to waist to the natural places, do it first. It may be that after this. The dress hips will be higher 1-2 inches, and the joining point highr at skirt attachment. And you would only pull the skirt highet 1-2 inches instead of 3-4. That dress will look nicer without the low rider look.
  • S
    Dedicated September 2020
    S Kab ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Judith!! Thank you so much for your unasked but very welcomed input Smiley smile !!! I'll make sure to bring this up to my seamstress when I have my first fitting.

• T
    Devoted August 2020
    Tina ·
    • Flag
    They both really nice on your wonderful figure. I’m not sure which I like better 😅
  • Cecilia
    Dedicated January 2021
    Cecilia ·
    • Flag
    First one!!!
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I thinkthe hips need let out or I need to lose weight to shrink my hour glass a bit. Then it can be pulled up further and like you said minimally cut at the join. Smiley smile Smiley heart
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!!!
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Or watch movies while lying on your side doing leg lifts to tighten up the butt and side hips ! Lots of movies!
  • DanteNicole
    Savvy April 2022
    DanteNicole ·
    • Flag

Dress two looks super cute and sexy!

• Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Mermaid/flare or A line?
  • DanteNicole
    Savvy April 2022
    DanteNicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I personally like the Aline dress.

• Candice
    Dedicated July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag

Mermaid!!! Hands down no comparison Smiley smile.

• Candice
    Dedicated July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Laura - that's insane!!!! My dress is a pronovias couture dress and it cost me $1600 off the rack for the sample dress (in the main store it would have been $2300! They ship the samples to the off the rack store when they get the new bridal lines in 2x per year). Then there's the whole tax and tailoring, but who's counting $ at this point? LOL.

Now it's even 1,000,000X more a No Brainer! The 1st one! VVoom Smiley smile

• Christine
    Just Said Yes September 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag

The mermaid dress looks GORGEOUS on you!!! Smiley heart

• Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awwwww! Thank you!!!!
  • Erin
    Dedicated December 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    They are both beautiful, but I love the mermaid dress. It looks so good on you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics