Skip to main content
Maria
Expert September 2017

Do you wear your engagement ring down the aisle?

Maria, on September 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 74
Saved

LOL I feel like this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Are you supposed to wear your e-ring down the aisle, or does your S.O. place both the e-ring and wedding band on your finger during the ceremony? Or is it personal preference?

This is why I ask. I haven't gotten my rings soldered. I planned on it, but relatives convinced me not to (but I may after the wedding, if I still prefer it). My wedding band is a guard/wrap, so the e-ring will sit between the two bands. FH can't exactly just slide the wedding band onto my finger without me taking the e-ring off during the ceremony.

The Best Man will be holding onto our rings. Should I just let him hold onto my e-ring as well? Or simply remove the e-ring during the ring exchange and have FH place it in the guard before sliding the rings onto my finger?

74 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on November 30, 2019 at 11:08 PM
  • Betsy
    Expert October 2017
    Betsy ·
    • Flag

I'm also doing the guard/wrap so I will let FH put both back on me. I don't want to have to take it off, put them together, and then let him put them back on. That will take way longer than necessary, I think, and my luck would be that I would drop them.

• Meaghan
    VIP November 2017
    Meaghan ·
    • Flag

I have a similar situation to yours, I am planning to have the e-ring in the enhancer and have the Best man hold on to both.

• Beachy
    VIP November 2017
    Beachy ·
    • Flag

I will probably put it on my right hand and move it over after the ceremony or just flip them around. But yes, I will be wearing it.

• Hannah
    Super August 2017
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

I wore it on my other hand

• GymRat
    Master May 2017
    GymRat ·
    • Flag

Yes, I wore my e-ring down the aisle.

Our officiant signaled H when to take off my e-ring and place it on my pinky.

He put the band on, then slide my e-ring back on my ring finger.

Done.

• Maria
    Expert September 2017
    Maria ·
    • Flag

@Besty, Yea I wasn't sure if I wanted to fidget with removing it only for him to put it right back on. I'm so clumsy and I may be nervous and drop it or something dumb anyway lol.

@Felicia, If I didn't have a guard, I'd let him put the ring on over it and then switch the order after the ceremony. But it would look so odd (and feel weird too) to have the e-ring and then a guard which would have an open gap in front of it. I'm leaning towards giving it to the Best Man but wanted to hear some opinions first, thanks!

• A&W
    Master May 2017
    A&W ·
    • Flag

I wore mine down the aisle and just flipped the rings around after the ceremony. It seemed like the simplest option.

• B
    Expert July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

I wore mine on my right hand, and then switched it back after we recessed back up the aisle.

• Abbie
    Devoted April 2018
    Abbie ·
    • Flag

OP, thanks for asking this...I had NO idea this was even something I needed to consider in any capacity. Not a stupid question at all.

• Sarah
    Expert October 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I have a band on both sides kind of like an enhancer so am having it soldered together before the wedding. My maid of honor well hold it until FH places it on my finger!

• Ashley
    VIP May 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I won't have the soldered and I'm wearing my engagement ring because I don't want anyone holding it before the ceremony.

• Maria
    Expert September 2017
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Oh YAY glad to hear that other people haven't thought about this either! The wedding is coming up so at this point I'm just like, stressing over everything big and small haha!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll probably give the Best Man my e-ring. I know I could switch everything up after the ceremony, but it would just feel so weird to be wearing the guard without the e-ring in the middle lol.

• Amanda
    Super October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Good question - I haven't thought of this yet....Since I will only have one ring, I guess I should give it to the GM to hold, and I will have naked hands going down the aisle!

• Jessica
    Super October 2017
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Good question! I probably wouldn't have thought about this until actually walking down the aisle LOL

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

I wore my e-ring on my left hand like normal and DH just added the band in top. After the ceremony, I flipped the order.

With your wrap, I'd opt for having the BM hold both of your rings so DH can put both of your rings on during the ceremony.

• K
    Beginner August 2019
    Kenza ·
    • Flag

Wait what, is this a thing?

based on the comments, I believe I would wear my e-ring on my right then change it around later.

Before the party though!!!

• mrsmack
    VIP April 2017
    mrsmack ·
    • Flag

My rings were soldered together so I didn't wear it down the aisle, DH put the whole solid piece on. I've heard in most cases you wear your engagement ring on the right hand.

• Chelsey
    Dedicated November 2017
    Chelsey ·
    • Flag

I might leave both at the atler. My e-ring is the center to my band. We have a guard, so my ring drops in.

• Sagan
    Super July 2017
    Sagan ·
    • Flag

I wore mine on my right hand. During the blessing of the rings my dad saw it on my hand and thought I forgot to give it to the best man haha

• MM
    Just Said Yes November 2017
    MM ·
    • Flag

I've been told either to have it on the right hand or let the MOH hold onto it.

I haven't decided what to do yet, but I'm leaning toward letting the MOH hold it because it's noticeably looser on my right hand compared to my left. Then I'll get it back after the ceremony. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics