Y
Savvy March 2020

Disappointed - pushing back wedding date

Yachita , on April 18, 2019 at 8:07 PM Posted in Planning 0 3
Saved Save
Long story short my FH has been having health issues and has affected his ability to work. I have about 60 days left until the big day but due to his sudden health and work problems we are going to have to push the wedding back. I really need him to be healthy and that is our first priority but I’m so disappointed because I have family who have bought flights to be here and the date is going to be changed. So about time the actual date comes they won’t be able to be here. Has anyone had to push their date back and if so how did you handle it?

3 Comments

• Michelle
    Rockstar December 2019
    Michelle ·

I'm sorry you're going through this and i hope your FH gets better soon. I don't want to sound rude but if you have 60 days left you probably have everything paid for already. If so, is he healthy enough to do the ceremony? I'm asking since people have brought flights and it's probably paid for already. Either way good luck

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·

Hi Yachita! I’m so sorry to hear about your FH. I hope that he will make a speedy recovery. I will be thinking of you both.

Your FH’s health must certainly come first, so if you really must postpone then it’s time to start making phone calls. Call your vendors, starting with your venue and caterer. Go back to your contracts and see what options you have to cancel or postpone. If you speak to them directly they may have options for you. Do you have wedding insurance? That can certainly help you recoup lost money. Then get calling your guests. Do you have a parent or sibling who can jump in and help you make phone calls? The sooner your guests know the change of plans the more likely they will be able to change their plans.

I’m SO sorry this has happened. This sucks but it does happen. Here are two articles that might help -

Postponing a Wedding? The Announcement Wording You Need
    5 Steps to Postponing a Wedding - this one is about postponing due to weather, but the advice is still sound

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

I'm sorry you are going through this. But you are right, his health comes first, and unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about unforeseen circumstances. Things happen in life that are out of our control. I disagree with PP. It would be different if y'all decided to post pone for a different type of reason, but him having unexpected health issues isn't something that can be ignored or helped. Hope everything works out!

Comment on this discussion