Jasmin
Dedicated July 2020

Did you pick up a part time job to pay for wedding?

Jasmin, on January 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Posted in Planning 1 36
Saved Save

My FH and I are paying for our wedding 100% out of our own pocket. We have everything covered except catering and the cake (plus some extras I'd like to buy as far as decorations and things). The issue is I'm not sure how to pay for all that!

My FH doesn't want me to get a PT job because I work FT and I am working on my Master's but I really don't want to settle for less than what I want for our big day. We have cut our household expenses (and spending habits!!) but I am still worried about that last 2-3 grand. Do any other brides have experience in this? Did you get a PT job or settle??

36 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on February 3, 2020 at 9:27 AM
  • Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I have two jobs, we decided that my part time job would be designated to the wedding budget and it helped out a lot. My second job I could make my own hours and work when I wanted to - I am a baker and I do private catering. IT helped out a lot!

• Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I haven't personally, but I have seen some brides on here mention DoorDash or UberEats because it's good for having your own schedule

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome!! I've been trying to find some consulting jobs as I don't have any real craft talents but I know HR like the back of my hand! Glad to hear it was worth it!

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    I was fired in April and my wedding was in July. I was unemployed for a month and during that time my husband and I did DoorDash together to try to get some money. I also received unemployment. My husband also used Acorns which is an investment app and you get money back for every dollar you spend. I also know Ibotta gives you money back on things you purchase. We did use a credit card with zero interest the first year to pay for some of things for our wedding. Once I started my new job, I was making more money at that job than my previous one. But I still considered getting a part time job because I wanted a videographer. It ended up working out that we had enough money to pay for the videographer. To me it doesn't sound like you would have the time for a part time job. Is there other areas that maybe you could cut back on?
  • Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've considered that too but where I live there isn't a huge market for it (aka I think my town has 400 people and the city I work in is all college kids doing exactly what I'd try to get into). I thought about doing Uber or Lyft in general but my FH is worried I'd get into some bad situations.

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We've talked about going down to one car for a bit but my FH would have to change his work schedule. I've decreased all our monthly expenses to the minimum and we've decreased our grocery budget to the minimum as well. I tried writing resumes online as I'm pretty experienced in the field but the demand was super low for that too.

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

Neither of us needed to but I have seen quiet a few people do like Uber, Uber Eats, Door Dash and things like that in their spare time to make some extra money.

• Allison
    Dedicated September 2020
    Allison ·
    • Flag

I did get a part time job. 3 of them actually (don't let that scare you). So I work 40 hours a week at my full time job. I also do part time property management year round and I get a cut of the bookings (typically an extra $200/mo). This was not enough so this past spring I worked part time on Sundays from 7am-3pm at a gardening company that was hiring seasonally--this was from May-June last year and recently I did a seasonal job from late November-Late January working for a Teddy Bear/Pajama company in their call center (25 hours/week on average) I made an extra 3k doing these two extra jobs and put it straight into savings for the wedding.

Yes, this means I was working 13 hour days during the week plus weekends for 2 months but it was so worth it. I also made a budget and set aside $100 each month from my typical paycheck (it adds up). My FH didn't want me to do it either but he was making zero effort to help so I would really sit down with your person and go over wedding budget and give him some options on how you can make it work.

• VIP November 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    Hmmm — maybe try driving for Lyft, Uber or something you can do on your own one so you don’t over work yourself !
  • Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think I'm going to do that tonight. Even if we could get another 2K I do think my parents would chip in $500 each if it was literally all I needed (my mom paid for our flights for our honeymoon though so I don't really want to ask her). His mom said she would give us $400 the night before the wedding if we didn't have a rehearsal dinner so that covers some day of expenses but I really want to have a better cushion than that.

• T
    Devoted May 2021
    Trinity ·
    • Flag

Thank goodness I don't have to. I have been saving since I started my job, which is about 5 years. My fiance and I definitely are not going into debt for this wedding. Can one of your parents help? If not, just have a simpler wedding.

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've thought about this. Even if I just worked the busy bar nights I might be able to make some decent money.

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My mom already has helped some and my dad is quite frankly an addict so who knows if he will or not. I know it sounds soooo bratty but I don't want to lose anything for this day. My FH is actually the one who drove up most of the costs with his never-ending invites and 7 layer cake. He said it'll all work out but man I am nervous!!

• T
    Devoted May 2021
    Trinity ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I feel ya, girl. We have a budget and we are also over it. If you must get a job, make sure it doesn't affect your study.

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We should have set a budget (mistake 1) but we both knew what we wanted and didn't settle for anything but that. Sigh.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I did get a side job ! It was my old job that needed someone during someone's maternity leave so that helped.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Neither of us did, but we didn't need to. Could you do something like uber or uber eats so it's not a set schedule and you can do it on your own time?

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've thought about asking my old job site if they needed a weekend helper but I think they are pretty staffed right now.

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This issue is it's hard to make money doing those here because of my geographical location (I live in a very small town and the large city nearby is flooded with drivers). I am going to try Fiverr though for now I think and see if I can't make a little bit of money doing some consulting.

• Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag

I got a part time seasonal job doing retail to help cover expenses. Partner got a seasonal working for UPS. Honestly, his job paid CRAZY money. He only worked for 2 weeks and made 5X what I made in 2 months! But all of my checks I had direct deposited into our joint savings account. So I never saw the money, it was just going into the account. I'm so glad I got the part time job- not only did I make new friends (they're coming to my bachelorette party!!) but I also gained a little more confidence in myself. They've decided to keep me on after the season, but they're cutting my hours drastically because there's no way I could work my 40 hours plus another 30 like I was in Nov/Dec. I'm so grateful for this second job. It's helped me to get more social and it's a little extra income. And it gave me something else to focus on besides wedding, wedding, wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics