J
Savvy April 2014

Did you hire dancers to perform at your wedding reception?

jinjer, on July 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save

If so, how much did it cost?

I got a price quote of $1,000 for a local group of flamenco dancers to perform for 30 minutes accompanied by a professional guitarist at my wedding reception.

The funny thing is that my fiance and I are members of the group, though we will not be performing with the group at my wedding reception. The group consists of a flamenco teacher and her students, and the teacher is the only one who would be considered a professional dancer. Except for the teacher and the guitarist, everyone in the group is an unpaid student volunteer. As unpaid student volunteers, we have no idea how much the teacher typically charges to have us perform at wedding receptions and other events, and it would be considered "ungracious" of us to ask her (she is a bit eccentric).

I am thinking that $1,000 for a 30-minute performance by mostly amateur dancers is a bit steep, especially considering all the unpaid volunteer work my fiance and I have done for the teacher.

14 Comments

• vicky
    VIP May 2014
    vicky ·
    • Flag

Sounds very steep for me if everyone but her is volunteering. I would check around & see what other places charge to make a comparison. Considering her eccentric nature, she'd probably be offended if you hired someone else. If her price is really that off base maybe you should just forego it

• J
    Savvy April 2014
    jinjer ·
    • Flag

Yes, she is easily offended and would be extremely offended if we hired someone else. We would sooner forgo having a flamenco performance at our reception than hire someone else.

• SD53
    Expert January 2014
    SD53 ·
    • Flag

You're in her group, you're an unpaid volunteer and she's still charging you that much to perform at your wedding? That is lame. I'd say no thanks and just pass on the dancers.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I'd pass.

• Mrs. A
    VIP November 2013
    Mrs. A ·
    • Flag

Me too. I think its rude of her to do that.

• Stacey DeWine
    January 2020
    Stacey DeWine ·
    • Flag

I had Irish dancers at my wedding. I used to dance with a troupe before I got married. Many of my really good friends were in this group too. I just asked the ones that I was close to if they would be interested in doing a number or two. It was free and the guests and themselves had a great time with it. Could you circumvent the teacher and go straight to the students that you are close to?

• BalletShoesRachel
    VIP September 2014
    BalletShoesRachel ·
    • Flag

*IN GENERAL,* for two professionals (the teacher and the guitarist), that actually sounds like a pretty reasonable price. At least, that's what the band who plays with the group I'm in charges per person, per show.

However, since you're part of the group, this is out-of-the-question ridiculous. The groups I've been in have ALWAYS danced for free at members' weddings.

• Marissa M.
    Super August 2013
    Marissa M. ·
    • Flag

That is very high considering you and FH are in the group and the only professional and not volunteer is the teacher. I would say if you really want the dancers then ask a few that you are closest to about performing.

• Maureen
    Devoted October 2022
    Maureen ·
    • Flag

Looks like she is thinking about cost and her time. Maybe she gets $500 for her and $500 for the guitarist but she probably gets more. I know you volunteering should count for something and that she should give you a discount but looks like she's keeping it strictly business and she values her time.

I have worked many weddings in different capacities as staff, videographer and entertainer and it's hard work and I know I wouldn't want to offer my services at a discount or for free. I have a friend who's a photographer and would never dream to ask her to photo my wedding or offer a discount. It's hard work being at a wedding and you're there from before the beginning and have to stay after the end.

I know $1000 is probably a lot for 30 minutes of dance but she would be offended if you asked someone else and if you asked her to lower her price. She probably feels she worked hard and has put in many years to charge the prices she does. I would forego the dance.

• Ana V.
    Dedicated October 2012
    Ana V. ·
    • Flag

We hired two professional salsa dancers (often in salsa music videos and have performed for artists like Marc Anthony) for our destination wedding in Puerto Rico. They performed two dances themselves and then led the guests in lessons. They were there for approximately one hour. We paid $500 total for the two. I think $1,000 is kind of steep but our dancers really set the mood for the rest of the reception.

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

This is absurd. No. Her and her guitarist are worth $2000 an hour at a friends and family rate? no. So much no.

• SXC
    VIP November 2013
    SXC ·
    • Flag

Send her an email from an anonymous account, inquire about rates around the same time as your wedding. That should tell you what she charges...

• Private User
    VIP July 2013
    Private User ·
    • Flag

Hm, this could be a regional or cultural thing, but I've never been to a wedding with professional dancers. Personally, I feel it would just detract from the bride and groom (what everyone really cares about). I could think of a lot of other things more important to spend 1,000 dollars on.

• A
    Just Said Yes October 2014
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Hi "Jinjer,"

I'm a journalist researching dance troupes at weddings for the New York Times. I'd be interested in learning more about your wedding if you went ahead with dancers. If so, my e-mail is *.*******@*****.***.

I apologize for the query, and thank you for your time.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics