We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katie
Super August 2021

Decoration dilemma

Katie, on September 5, 2020 at 9:46 AM Posted in Style and Décor 0 24
Saved Save
I have a problem I wanted to have a tropical theme wedding and bought some tropical decorations. However my future mother in law pointed out that the venue we are having the wedding at is very rustic and she thinks it's going to look off if we do a tropical wedding. I had my heart set on tropical and bought some really cool decorations that I'm excited to use. I thought that maybe if I really go to town with decorating the place tropical that maybe it wouldn't look odd. What do you guys think, should I just go ahead and do the tropical or should I just go with rustic since the venue is rustic? Do you think it would look odd to do tropical?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Private User, on September 5, 2020 at 10:21 PM
  • B
    Dedicated October 2021
    B ·
    • Flag
    Go with what your heart desires.you don’t want to look back at your day and say “I wish I had”.it’s your day, your way.you seem excited to decorate, don’t take that joy away from yourself.
  • Marcia
    Devoted March 2021
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    Do you have a picture of the inside of your venue?
  • Katie
    Super August 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    We did tropical/coastal theme too and we loved it! My ceremony site was not tropical at all but with the decor it became tropical 🏝 Follow your heart girl!! If you want tropical certainly do it and I’m sure your florist can help bring it together in your venue space!!! Good luck to you and your fiancé!! ❤️🐠🌴
  • Kris
    Devoted July 2021
    Kris ·
    • Flag

Stick with the tropics! If that's what your heart is set on, I'm sure you'll make it work!

• Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you. We originally were going to go with rustic when we started planning but it was just so stressful to find rustic decorations especially with the colors we really want to use. Then I decided on going with tropical and I was so excited and buying so much tropical decorations. I even found such a nice cake design that I really liked. But then his mom told me it would seem off to have tropical at such a rustic venue, then I started stressing out about what I should do.
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't have any of the inside yet. It's a conservation/gun club. They have deer heads on the walls, turkeys hanging up, guns on the wall and bow and arrows hanging by the bar.
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I think if the juxtaposition between the styles doesn’t bother you, then go for it! This is you & your spouses event, and if tropical is what you both want, then that’s all that matters. I would imagine looking back at your wedding pictures in the future... are you going to be disappointed if you don’t see a tropical theme? If so, that’s your answer!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I think you should go with the theme that you want! The decorations will make the venue feel more tropical. Since you said there are deer heads on the walls at your venue, are they opposed to you decorating them (maybe flower leis or sunglasses or something)?
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's a good idea, thank you.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Most tropical locations do have more rustic elements than not and don't look weird in the least.

But the taxidermy doesn't mesh with what you're doing. Are they able/willing to take them down for your event?
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Unfortunately no they will not take them down for the wedding.
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh wow. Well this doesn’t seem so much rustic- it sounds more lodge-y. In complete honesty, it is likely going to be very difficult to mesh these 2 things together. It will likely feel like you are fighting against the venue decor. It is always easier to work with the vibe of the venue, rather than against it. When you fight against it, it oftentimes feel contrived & can look kind of like a birthday party. That’s not to say you can’t do it anyway! It is your wedding & you can do anything that makes you happy! I just think it is going to be difficult to accomplish your decor goals in this particular space. Is there another location that is more of a blank space or fits your vibe better that you can use?
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Also, if you could post pictures of the venue it would be easier to give suggestions. Sometimes looking at the space can give creative inspiration !
  • Katie
    Super August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My fiance really likes the venue plus him and his family are members there so we get a discount. I like the location and the outdoor area it has a nice pound I want to highlight as our backdrop for our ceremony.
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Large statement pieces could also make a big impact & detract from the other decor. Projecting tropical lights on the ceiling, having large rattan chairs, using big tropical leaves as centerpieces/decor, a large bamboo backdrop, etc.
    Decoration dilemma 1
    Decoration dilemma 2
    Decoration dilemma 3
    Decoration dilemma 4

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Stick with tropical. Sounds like a fun theme
  • Marcia
    Devoted March 2021
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I think if you can cover or take the taxidermy down, you will have more success
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Can you rent our purchase photography backdrops? They're typically 7-8 ft tall by 10ft long that you can drape any fabric, custom mural, etc to hide what you don't want to see. Another idea is hang curtains of mesh and clear Christmas lights. At Walmart you can get them as one piece so you just have to hang it up.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Https://www.efavormart.com/collections/backdrops-stands
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I think you should stick with the tropical if that’s what your heart is set on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics