christina
Beginner May 2021

Deciding on a day based on budget? need advise

christina, on September 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Posted in Planning 0 29
Saved Save
So my FH and I are looking at venues and we would.love to get married in June and it's realistic but stretching out budget as well as my parents who are paying a significant amount. We also have to option to get married in March and save some money. However were in NYC and it can be pretty cold in March. I guess the question should be should I sacrifice the budget and continue in June or should I be smart and think long term as it's just one day and move forward with a March wedding. (Both would technically be a spring wedding)

29 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·

I would stick with March. People still get married in the cold. Unless you're planning to have an outdoor wedding, the temperature doesn't matter all that much. The last thing I would do is start your marriage out in debt because you wanted a warmer wedding.

• Amber
    VIP February 2020
    Amber ·

I wouldn't sacrifice your budget this early. Because there will be things that arise that will compromise your budget even further. I would say March, unless you'd consider a weekday or Friday/Sunday wedding in June? That can help cut costs on the venue (depending on your venue of course). I would shoot towards the end of March to allow it to warm up as much as possible and spend that extra money towards all the other aspects of having your dream wedding

• Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    If your wedding is indoors then March sounds fine, you could also pick a different day than Saturday to save a lot of money if you still wanted a June wedding, even Friday or Sunday have discounts.
  • Erin
    Super April 2021
    Erin ·
    I’m doing a mid-April wedding because of budget. I originally wanted an August wedding, but it was almost half the cost to get married in April. I can get more for the same amount of money, and for me that was important. We’re looking at a mountain venue at the moment, and I’ll likely have to recommend my guests bring a jacket or 2, and remind people it still snows sometimes in Colorado in April, but it was worth it to me to get the wedding I really want without breaking the bank.

In the end you have to figure out what your priorities are. Can you wear a bolero or cape of some kind to keep warm? Can you do a quick ceremony on the terrace and then move inside for the remainder of the event? Will any of your intended guests have any issues being outside for a while in March? I grew up in Vermont, so I get how chilly it can be still in March up that way, so those are some things to think about.
  • W-K
    Super October 2019
    W-K ·

Budget! In the end it's just one day. You don't want to put yourself out financially over it. Really... you don't.

• M
    Devoted September 2020
    Marcia ·
    Just another thought, if you want to stick with June, could you get married on a Friday or Sunday and have it be a little less expensive? March would be lovely too though.
  • christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·

We were already planning on a Friday in June vs a Friday in March. Most of my family is thankfully in the area and already used to the cold weather. It is approx 20pp cheaper to forgo high season and I know i can end up getting more bang for my buck with the end of March.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

Are you getting married inside? Then you're fine! Don't worry. We went to an NYC wedding in December and it was beautiful!

• Jessica
    Dedicated November 2020
    Jessica ·

I say march! to us the date of our wedding was not that important so we picked fall because it is our favorite season and the first weekend of november because its the first weekend after peak season!

• A
    Expert August 2019
    Aliciabilly2019 ·
    I would say june just cut down on size of the wedding like guest list have a smaller more intimate wedding but in June and on a fri or sunday its cheaper those days and days of week vs a Saturday dont have it on a saturday its the most expensive day of the whole week to get married i live in NY and everywhere i checked said sat is more expensive bc most events happen then ...good luck hope that helps
  • A
    Expert August 2019
    Aliciabilly2019 ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes very true...i ended up being out 600 bucks or more bc people said they were comming and didnt was not happy so there is that to.
  • A
    Dedicated April 2021
    Arianna ·
    We had to make the same decision. It was either a June wedding but we would go over budget or an April wedding that would leave room in our budget. We ended up going with the April date and I’m really happy that we did!
  • Da Mom
    August 2022
    Da Mom ·

My daughter got married in November in the Chicago area to save on her venue. It was very cold that day but everything was indoors so it didn’t matter. They have no regrets!

• christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ours is spring so first weekend in March makes sense
  • christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·
    Sorry last weekend
  • christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Our families are wayyyy to big to cut down unfortunately which was the dilemma. As it stands now with cutting the list down were still at 150 so something's gotta give

• Misty
    Super October 2019
    Misty ·
    If budget is a .more important issue, go with March.

If june is more important than budget go with june.

Also, global warming is real... it's still 90 degrees in Sept! Lol.... who's to say if itll be "too cold"?

Personally I'm a fan of saving money and being creative with the other details. But go with your gut
  • christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I will be praying and hoping that the weather participates and at the very least no snow.
  • christina
    Beginner May 2021
    christina ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Due to the size of our family we will most likely end up with March as it gives us the opportunity to save about 2k just on the venue not to mention other vendors since a Friday in March is low season
  • JEANIE
    Expert April 2020
    JEANIE ·
    I also live in NY and orginally wanted a June or July wedding. However, after shopping around and seeing the difference in prices for the same exact services, we ended up compromising on April. So, it's up to you, but I would rather have the wedding of my dreams than sacrifice things to have it a few months later.

Comment on this discussion