We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sylvette
Beginner October 2020

Can my bridesmaids wear different dresses?

Sylvette, on January 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 52
Saved Save

At first I wanted my bridesmaids to have a different kind of top part and at least have the same skirt. But for that it would have to be custom-made and they are not up for the price. They also have very different body types so some of them like a certain dress but it's not available for plus sizes and such. So, I considered maybe just let them wear whatever they are comfortable with so long they have the same color, which is mustard yellow. It wouldn't look weird right??

52 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

Lots of brides tell their bridesmaids a fabric, color, and length for their dress and just let them choose their own style. Doesn't look weird at all!

• Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag

Not weird at all. It's common now for brides to let their maids pick something flattering. When my sis got married she picked the color and told us to pick out whatever dress we wanted in that color. It worked out great! For my maids, they were each assigned a different color and then my only requirement was that it was a long dress because it's going to be cold and that felt practical. Otherwise they could choose sleeveless, lace, florals, halter neck, etc. I left it up to them and what they felt comfy with.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

In the last few years, I've seen bridesmaids wear different dresses more often than not. I don't think it's weird at all. If anything, forcing friends of different ages, sizes, and body types to all wear the same dress is kind of weird.

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    This is very common. I would just tell them a store, length and fabric of the dress you want them to wear in mustard yellow.
  • Shariyahmom
    Dedicated July 2020
    Shariyahmom ·
    • Flag
    It's whatever to me. I asked them. I let mine pick there's out. They know how much they could spend. I say let them pick.
  • Melanie
    Savvy March 2020
    Melanie ·
    • Flag

Definitely not weird. I let my bridesmaid all choose what style dress they wanted from David's Bridal as long as it was navy and long. I wanted them to be comfortable and actually have a say in what they wear. I think it'll look great!

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Can my bridesmaids wear different dresses? 1
    Not weird at all! I love the look of same color/different styles Smiley smile
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

We let our bridesmaids pick their own dresses. We just told them where to purchase from, the color, and that it had to be floor length. They all selected the dress they loved and felt comfortable in. They showed us before purchasing to make sure we loved it as much as they did. I think it looked great.

Can my bridesmaids wear different dresses? 2

• Erin
    Dedicated October 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Lots of couples do this! I think it looks great & lets bridesmaids be unique. I sent my bridesmaids a few inspiration photos and am letting them choose the color and style of their dress within a certain color palette. They all have different body types and budgets so this was the best option for my group.

• Ashley
    Devoted August 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

My girls are all wearing different dresses. I found a website (Birdy Grey) where all the dresses are $99. I chose the color and let them each choose their own style. I wanted them to be comfortable and to be honest, I kind of like the look of bridesmaids wearing different dresses.

• Dayna
    Devoted March 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

It's really common. A lot of people even mix and match colors or patterns now. I'm using Azazie so I can make a list ("showroom") of dresses I like and then I can share it with my BMs and they can all pick their favorite. My goal is to have some similarity by choosing dresses that all have lace elements on the top, but they will be able to choose from different strap styles and fits.

• Sylvette
    Beginner October 2020
    Sylvette ·
    • Flag

Thank you! I was really concerned because I honestly don't want any of them to feel uncomfortable, and it's also very hard to find a style that fits all of them.

I already suggested the idea and I believe they'll be down for it.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    Mine had all different dresses. It's very common to do that now a days.
  • Deirdre
    Super March 2018
    Deirdre ·
    • Flag

That's what I did, and I have been in many weddings that are the same. It's my preference as a bridesmaid. Not everyone can pull of the same style of dress, and this choice allows your friends to be comfortable as well. It always looks good.

• J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

I'm doing mismatched dresses. They can pick their own dress style and shade of blue from some that I have seleted - kind of going for an ombre look but really they can choose whatever color they like best. I'm super pumped for it actually.

• Mrs.hays
    VIP April 2018
    Mrs.hays ·
    • Flag
    Mine wore different dresses that were in the same fabric and color.
  • Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

It is probably more common for them to wear different dresses then all the same dress.

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

Can my bridesmaids wear different dresses? 3

My girls wore the same color/length/fabric but in different colors. I loved it! My friend that got married last April did the same and my friend getting married this April is doing that as well.

• Lena
    Devoted May 2021
    Lena ·
    • Flag
    It’s not weird at all! I’ve seen a lot of amazing and beautiful pictures of bridesmaids in different dresses! They all look comfortable and happy 😊
  • Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    The matching bridesmaids is kinda dead and outdated.

Unless your bridesmaids are identical siblings, there is no way to get a dress to look the same on everyone...
    Azazie and David's bridal have color swatches and you can pick a color / fabric and have the do the rest of the work.
    What I did is picked knee length black dress. Then we weren't pinned into any store either.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles