Casi
Beginner August 2019

Cake or not to cake!?!?

Casi, on February 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 17
Saved Save
Alrighty! I'm trying to get a ball park as to what seems to work best price wise, left over wise, and just what seems to go better with the guests! Did you do a big traditional cake or one small cake for you and your hubby to cut and cupcakes for the guests? I need ideas please because I have WAY TOO MANY and I'm feeling a little lost now as to what direction I should go and what is best. 馃お Help! lol

17 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online
    • Flag

A small cake for cutting and cupcakes is typically cheaper because tiered cakes take more construction and decoration. We decided to go this route, not just because of budget, but because I've seen way too many tiered cakes go to waste. As a guest, I'm more likely to grab a cupcake on my way to the bar or dance floor than to grab a slice of cake and sit down to eat it. Also because we can offer more flavors this way.

• Casi
    Beginner August 2019
    Casi
    • Flag
    Yeah, great opinion! I didn't even think of favors! 馃う Thanks for the input, and the reminder!! Totally spaced on that one!!! 馃う馃う
  • M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa
    • Flag
    I would go for a small cake for you and your husband to cut and cupcakes for the guests. Especially if you are having kids at the wedding. They love cupcakes.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride
    • Flag

As a guest, I LOVE wedding cake! Cupcakes or cake pops are good too.

As a couple, our venue included 3 dessert shots per person. We bought a small one-tier cake that fed less than 1/2 guests (with very small slices). Everyone who wanted cake seemed to get a piece but we had at least 1/3 of the dessert shots leftover.

Cake or not to cake!?!? 1

• Disneybride
    Dedicated April 2021
    Disneybride
    • Flag
    I say go for the big cake
  • Fwbride
    Super July 2019
    Fwbride
    • Flag
    I say do a small cake and sheet cake for guests. I am also doing a cookie bar!
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy
    • Flag
    We decided we want a traditional cake
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby
    • Flag
    We're doing a small cake to cut and probably 2 or 3 dozen cupcakes for a nice display with sheet cake in the back.
  • Futuremrsv
    Super October 2020
    Futuremrsv
    • Flag
    We are planning on doing a small cake for us to cut and then apple cider donuts or cupcakes for the guests...after eating and everything nobody is going to sit down and eat cake. Personally I feel like cake would get wasted
  • Brynne
    Savvy May 2019
    Brynne
    • Flag
    Cupcakes! Or small cake for you and spouse, and then cupcakes everyone else.
  • N
    Expert August 2019
    N
    • Flag
    A sheet cake or cupcakes are probably cheapest. I would do a smaller cute cake and have the other stuff for guests. Everyone gets a piece and you don鈥檛 go broke overa cake.
  • N
    Expert August 2019
    N
    • Flag
    Also have the caterer cut the guest pieces in the back. They likely will never know about the sheet cake. Double check and see if they charge a cutting fee. So silly that this is a thing but I would rather you know than it be a surprise. 馃し馃従鈥嶁檧锔
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena
    • Flag

I am doing all cake personally, because none of our friends have had the big, bad wedding cake as of yet. They've either done cupcakes or sheet cake for their guests. I swoon at a big wedding cake as a guest. I personally think for my area too, this will be cheaper. Because with cupcakes you need multiple flavors and in my area they can tend to be just the same price as a serving or more.

Edit: You can get away with telling a shop that the cupcakes are for like a family reunion as to not have them hear the word "wedding" and they freak out and charge you more. My friend did that and she just had someone pick up the cupcakes the day of.

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77
    • Flag
    For us the tiered cake vs cupcakes we鈥檙e going to be about the same price. For us the time it cakes to prepare everything tipped the scale. A tiered cake needs to be made several days in advance and is chilled/thawed several times over the course of decorating. Cupcakes can be made much closer to the event and don鈥檛 require the chilling between decorating phases - so they can be much fresher. I鈥檇 talk to your baker about the difference is cost and how far ahead they will be made.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle
    • Flag

I've heard from other posters that the small cake & cupcake (or sheet cake) route is cheaper, but that wasn't necessarily my experience. Cheaper, yes, but not by much. We are going with a 5-Tier wedding cake, every tier can be a different flavor combo if we want. Our baker gave us two options (for our 200 guest list): 5-Tier cake or 3-tier cake w/ sheet cakes to serve. Full price, there was about a $250 difference. However, since we paid in full she gave us a discount and it ended up only being like a $100 difference in price. For me, that wasn't a big enough difference for me to compromise my vision of a big wedding cake. But that is personal preference. Which do you envision for your wedding: Big Cake or Cupcakes? There is no wrong/bad choice.

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy
    • Flag

We're doing a "small" 3 tier cake that feeds about 60 as our wedding cake. We're doing cupcakes for the guests and also doing a small grooms cake. I figure people can take cupcakes home as they leave if there's a lot easier than I can send them with cake.

• Casi
    Beginner August 2019
    Casi
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I never even thought of all that. Thanks for that input!!

Comment on this discussion