We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Elmarose
Expert July 2021

Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake?

Elmarose, on July 13, 2020 at 3:27 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 38
Saved Save

My FH isn't much of a sweet tooth but loves Funfetti cake and I'm getting him a surprise 1 layer star wars theme funfetti cake. We have a 300+ guest count and I really need ideas of flavors and style. Please share your wedding cake, ideas, flavors, style Smiley smile how did you know your cake was the one?Smiley catface Pictures would also be great! Here are some I like so far but, I'm not sure if it's too much. How much is too much for a cake to spend?

Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 1Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 2

38 Comments

Latest activity by Tara, on July 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM
  • Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag

I love the ones you shared! Wow, 300 guests, you’re going to need a really immaculate cake Smiley smile I love fancy wedding cakes...however our’s is going to be quite simple. We’re doing a celestial (or starry) theme and I saw the following design that reminded me of the moon and thought it was perfect for 30 guests our baker suggested a 2-3 tier cake. I’m not sure what it will cost yet as we haven’t gotten pricing back yet, but we got to try all of their amazing flavors. At first my FH & I thought we would choose carrot cake, but they had a red velvet with a white chocolate mousse icing that was just to die for!

I’m guesstimating wedding cakes start out between $300-500 I also learned that fondant versus buttercream is more $

Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 3

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    Our 3 tier was vanilla, white chocolate, and pink champagne with salted caramel. Our 2 tier was chocolate with cookies n cream and an Oreo topping. It was $450 for both including delivery fee. Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 4

• Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    We’re doing three tiers of cupcakes (60 total) - lemon, pink champagne, and almond and on top we will have a small lemon cake with blueberry filling for the wedding party.
    The cake will be decorated to look like a birch tree stump with our initials “carved” in it and some small sunflowers to accent.
    I don’t have any pictures yet but cost was $307.
  • Anna
    Master June 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 5
    Hey there!
    We had 50 guests at our June 6th wedding. I had keto cupcakes and cake (top layer already removed for our Anniversary before reception)
    We had a good bit of cake left over. Everything was delicious, chocolate and vanilla cake. Red velvet cupcakes. The guests were happy to take cake home and I took the cupcakes on my honeymoon. Best wishes! Happy planning! Congratulations!🥰💍👰
  • Megan
    Expert October 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    We have 180 people and are doing a small two tier little cake in lemon with raspberry filling! So yummy! And plain white frosted sheet cakes for the rest it was so much cheaper than getting a really big cake. It was double to get the big cake vs sheet cakes. Which get cut up and served to the guests anyway so they won’t know where the cake came from. We paid 450 for everything.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag

I went with two tiers of strawberry and the bottom tier being mango. i liked the idea of being able to offer multiple cake flavors.

i really wanted a square cake because i felt like it just seemed more modern. surprisingly not many bakeries at all did square cakes

Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 6

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hello Marisa,

Thank you! Oh my that cake is more than simple! I love the detail its immaculate. I definitely see that celestial touch your talking about it's going to be a stunning cake Smiley love I've heard red velvet taste amazing! I was leaning towards like a tangy flavored cake maybe like a white cake with whipped buttercream and fruit filling. But carrot cake also sounds divine. thanks for the estimate I appreciate your input, best wishes and congratulations Smiley heart

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hello Mrs. S, congratulations! Beautiful setting and style of cakes! They are very intricately created. THOSE FLAVORS SOUND AMAZING! the pink champagne with salted caramel really caught my attention! I definitely must try that and the chocolate with cookies and cream filling sounds delicious 😋 Thank you very much! and also for the amount so I know what to look into Smiley shame

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Mindy, Congratulations 🎉 Your cake with tiers of cupcakes sounds INCREDIBLE!!! Just even reading the flavors are making me want to try them all. They are such fresh flavors which is the side I'm leaning onto. How does the lemon cake with blueberry filling taste?! I was looking into a lemon cake with Swiss merengue cream and some candied lemons on top. The stump and initials with sunflowers sounds so beautiful! Please share a picture when it's your wedding day I'd love to see it. It sounds so wonderfully thought out Smiley love That's also a good price.

• Marisa
    Master October 2021
    Marisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No problem! I’ll let you know our estimate for the cake once I hear from the baker, and we’ve requested “blue” velvet which tastes like velvet...it’s just blue lol
  • Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Ana, You're so kind and sweet Smiley cry Thank you so much!! May I just say I love the choice of lavender and flowers your cake looks impeccable and so detailed even from the ombre and flowers, I love it! awww I love that you took your cupcakes on your honeymoon. I'm sure that was a romantic touchSmiley heart I am so eager and excited on planning this part out! thank you so much for your wishes, blessings :,)Smiley heart Also congratulations on your wedding day!!

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Megan (: I love how I've had two separate ideas of combinations of lemon cake ! It was a cake I was considering but I didn't even think of combining it with a different filling. It sounds delicious 😋 I love that idea of white frosted sheet cakes and saving on a big cake especially with my guest count. Thank you 🙏 😊

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Melle, I love your flavor choices. I've never tried a mango cake before yet mango and pineapple are my favorite fruits. I'm definitely adding that to my list of must flavors to try. Did it include any particular flavor of filling? Your cake is very lovely I love the color combinations. Are those piped flowers? The detail is beautiful especially with the touch of greenery and lowers Smiley love I love the style of it and I also believed squared cakes to be more modern it's interesting to learn many didn't carry it. I'm so glad you found a baker that did though because it looks and I bet tasted amazing. The touch of what looks mint green in between the layers really made the cake pop out more I love it. Thank you so much for sharing, Best wishes Smiley heart

• Elmarose
    Expert July 2021
    Elmarose ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww too Kind thank you. Smiley cry That is so cool! I didn't know they can do that and change the color Smiley laugh It's going to be really neat! So Exciting. Smiley laugh

• Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So my fiancé doesn’t like cake but he fell in love with the flavors we ended up picking.
    Lemon blueberry is actually a common combination. The lemon is light and refreshing while the blueberries give it extra depth and flavor.
    Our baker works out of her home, that and the first responders discount she gave us would be why our price was as amazing as it was. I will definitely share the results.
  • Elizabeth
    Super June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

We'll have one "normal" cake for all the guests and then our wedding party will eat from the groom's cake (a surprise for my partner!). Then we'll also have a whole dessert bar.

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Browse Pinterest and Instagram for picture ideas.

What flavors do you like? Talk to local bakers in your area (locate them via the vendor tab at the top of the page) and schedule cake tastings where you can interview them and see what they offer. No two bakers offer the same flavors. Some will duplicate a family recipe and others have a set menu they do not stray from.
    One of the best wedding cakes I have had as a guest was from a grocery store.
    Price is dependent on where you are located. An independent baker is usually more expensive than a grocery store but they are making them from scratch to order instead of mass production. Fondant which nearly everyone tosses in the trash will make the cost skyrocket. Also what you consider 1 normal slice of cake at a birthday party is 3 servings of wedding cake, so be aware of that as well.
  • Kimberly
    Expert October 2019
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    We did a Harry Potter theme for our wedding and chose to do a 2 tier cake for show and a sheet cake that would be brought out to our guests so we didn't waste time cutting the big cake. we did an apple cider cake, with a maple bourbon buttercream. Doing the sheet cake was a really great decision bc it did save some money on the cake itself, and it was easier on the staff to cut and serve.Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 7

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Cake help! real full size cake or cake slice slot cake? 8

We had a small two tier cake for display and photo opportunities- one tier with lemon raspberry and another with strawberry champagne. Since this only served a portion of our guest count we supplemented with a sheet cake with the same flavors. This saved us hundreds compared to a 4 or 5 tier cake.
  • Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG I love everything about this!!!! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics