Leslie
Devoted August 2019

Budget Frustration

Leslie, on July 7, 2019 at 12:43 PM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved
Everything has started adding up, my wedding looks like it’s going to be a couple thousand more than anticipated to be able to do everything we want.

It’s not too crazy and we won’t be facing any debt or anything coming out of it, but it is still a little frustrating. In the end I’m happier going over and being able to spend a little more to get our photographer, the venue we wanted, and everything else. We’ve already cut costs by not having a DJ, a family member is officiating, and so much more. It’s getting hard to save more money without cutting too many corners!

Anyone else dealing with budget issues? Are you cutting more out to stick to your budget or spending more money to have your ideal wedding?

39 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on July 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM
  • plangalCG
    VIP May 2018
    plangalCG ·
    • Flag
    I went over. Admittedly, I never had a set budget, I had an idea which wasn’t well founded! Part of me felt bad spending what I spent, but after it was done. It was worth every penny. I think it would have been special no matter what, but the extra touches made it nice. I think spending a little extra for the big things can make a big difference.
  • Wendy
    Dedicated April 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    Definitely having the same trouble. Everything is more than I thought it would be. We cut out DJ and are doing our own flowers and DIY projects. We didnt cut corners with photography or cake though, as those are super important to us.
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

My entire budget has been cut twice...started at 5k, then was 3K now it's just 1,500. i'm being creative to be able not to cut anything I really want

• Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s how I’m feeling right now. We’re saving where we can, but in order to have the things we want, our initial budget just wasn’t cutting it.
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our cake is small but was still a little pricey. We definitely didn’t want to make any cuts with photography though!
    We’re trying to do as much DIY as possible with our decor.
  • CDickman
    VIP September 2019
    CDickman ·
    • Flag
    Ways we saved

1. 5 hours for whole wedding. Cut out probably a few thousand that way

2. Etsy flower venue making Center pieces. Got smaller bouquets on Etsy saved at least a thousand plus found cute and cheap corsages and boutonnières for sisters and dads step kids.

3. No inserts in invites it is reserve on website

4. Dress off rack 250

5. Not getting tux renting him a nice suit. But his birthday next August I may buy him a suit.

6. Dads wife making cupcakes

7. Cut down guest list hoping to have under 100

8. Doing buffet did not get kids meals.
  • Katie
    VIP November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    One of our biggest costs was deciding on artificial flowers versus real. We also are not serving appetizers at our wedding
  • Candice
    Devoted July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag

We've just found a lot of deals on facebook and the like. We cut corner in the "small details" department, going thinner on flowers, DIY decor, buying disposable drink ware instead of renting real glasses, buying used formal clothes and linens. That kind of thing has saved us almost a thousand to our budget already and we still have a year to go. We set a budget for each and every thing from table decorations to photographers and so far have come in at least 20% under budget in every category. It might not work for everyone but that's how we have done it.

• Keri
    Expert November 2019
    Keri ·
    • Flag

We're staying close to budget, by parents gave a us a very generous gift. We could go over, but decided that it wasn't worth it. Cut the things that don't matter. Signs, favors, etc. Cupcakes instead of wedding cake. Be mindful of the guest list. More invited, more expensive. Only MOH/BM = less money on flowers. Just keep your guests well fed. People only care about the food and booze.

• Brittany
    Dedicated October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    Me and my fiancé are paying for our wedding. So our budget is small. I’m cutting corners. Focusing on what’s important...which is just getting married. I honestly wish we would have eloped...
  • Christine
    Dedicated April 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Girl I want to elope so bad but hes so dead set on family being there. I'm finding everything I can on marketplace , yardsales and ebay. I mean people only use their stuff once and for what a few hours so it's practically new .
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh wow, that’s definitely a difficult budget to work with! I’m sure you’ll be able to put together a beautiful wedding, it will just take a lot of creativity.
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Fortunately most of this worked for us too. My dress was about double that, but my fiancée didn’t need to buy anything, we’re doing a buffet as well, and our guest list was 51 total!
  • Brittany
    Dedicated October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same here, my fiancé won’t budge! I’ve been thrifting myself too! It’s amazing the deals we can get! Good luck to you, I hope your day is beautiful and stress free!
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah that's what i'm afraid of LOL i'm not exactly what you'd call "crafty" and I have no one to help me. I have found a picture of a centerpiece I like, and luckily it was from dollar tree, so i'm hoping to create it. Looks sorta simple

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

I did a ton of research ahead of time and we came well under for every line item.. I padded in about $500-1000 for every large vendor. That was until my husband and I decided to upgrade our catering to a much larger package. It was well worth the upgrade, but I think it ended up being about $1.5k over my originally budget (but only a few hundred after the savings).

I always suggest heavily padding the original budget estimates.

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

We may just be coming in at our budget if everyone we invite shows up (which I doubt will happen). Admittedly our venue/catering is a good 75% of our budget but I knew we could save elsewhere.

So far we've been able to decorate our entire wedding for less than $400 thanks to sales and FB Marketplace. All of our stationary and postage is less than $200 thanks to sales and free things from work Smiley winking .

We're saving $150 on the flowers by picking them up ourselves the morning of the wedding. Our DJ and officiant are friends so combined their going to cost me less than $500. Our photographer is another friend who's services are $1000; more than what I wanted but she's a single mom so I knew the money was for a good reason. Smiley laugh

I saved $50 on my dress and FHs tux is free ($190) after everyone in the party gets theirs. And our hotel suite is free ($200) once we get a certain number of guest rooms booked.

• Jessica
    Expert June 2023
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I would think about the must have and the wants. Like for me the musts are the photographer, videographer, music, venue and food. And wants are decor, invitations, favors, cake. I'm a big DIYer so im doing decor, and flowers myself. So if you don't mind doing some diy things that will help ALOT.
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I tried to add some extra padding in but with our timeline (planning everything in under 4 months) I wasn’t able to spend as much time working on our budget as I wish I had.
    Right now it looks like we’ll about to be the same amount over as you did, which is definitely manageable for us! Hopefully now that most of everything is booked, it will be easier for me to stick within that.
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I spent about $45 total on all my stationary (half of which was postage) and I got to work on it with my mom which was great, as we haven’t been they close. I got my dress for almost half of what it was listed at, and our decor expenses are pretty low so far since we’re doing so much ourselves.
    We definitely spent a little more on photography than we anticipated, and my wedding band was a little more as well!
    Photogapher, venue and food definitely ate up most of my budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics