Leslie
Devoted August 2019

Budget Frustration

Leslie, on July 7, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Posted in Planning 39

Everything has started adding up, my wedding looks like it’s going to be a couple thousand more than anticipated to be able to do everything we want. It’s not too crazy and we won’t be facing any debt or anything coming out of it, but it is still a little frustrating. In the end I’m happier going...
Everything has started adding up, my wedding looks like it’s going to be a couple thousand more than anticipated to be able to do everything we want.

It’s not too crazy and we won’t be facing any debt or anything coming out of it, but it is still a little frustrating. In the end I’m happier going over and being able to spend a little more to get our photographer, the venue we wanted, and everything else. We’ve already cut costs by not having a DJ, a family member is officiating, and so much more. It’s getting hard to save more money without cutting too many corners!

Anyone else dealing with budget issues? Are you cutting more out to stick to your budget or spending more money to have your ideal wedding?

39 Comments

• W
    Super September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    We are trying to stick to a 20k budget, but it keeps creeping up and up. It is beyond frustrating. I've decided I am going to own whatever choices we go with and make the best of it. After the wedding, I'm going to purge the house and my brain of all things wedding planning.
  • Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Venue and catering are always the biggest drains on budgets. It's even worse here in MD where everything is so dang expensive!

That's why I was happy to go with an all inclusive venue so I didn't have to worry about the hassle of interviewing caterers or making sure they would be accepted by a venue.

• Erica
    Dedicated October 2020
    Erica ·
    • Flag

Our budget is creeping up too unfortunately. I have been doing a lot of research on ways to cut costs as well. For example, we nixed the favors & are doing a photo booth which our photographer is including in our package Smiley smile. We also are opting not to do the printed items (like programs and menu place settings). We chose buffet style & we are offering beer & wine. We even switched our plates/glassware to premium disposables. Honestly, I'd rather not have to worry about losing my venue deposit thanks to broken glass. We are doing our whole wedding in 5 hours & on an "off" day. There is also a lot of DIY involved. Should you want real flowers, I found out that Costco has a few bulk options that are very affordable. For the cake, we are opting for a small 2 tier that we can cut & then having sheet cakes iced & designed similar to the main cake pre sliced & brought out from the kitchen.

Good luck!

• Monique
    Beginner February 2020
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    I was married before and I wanted everything perfect so I kept shelling out money. In the end it didnt even matter. All that mattered was free! That is the love and celebration with friends and family. This time def cutting costs and sticking to the budget. Instead of paying more I look for similar less expensive options (got that tip from HGTV)!😉
  • CDickman
    VIP September 2019
    CDickman ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    100 was cutting it for us. A lot of that is plus ones of people I don’t think will. Ring a plus one.
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Most of these we’re already so we could start with a low budget, so there’s not too much more for me to cut back on without cutting out completely. Flowers are my next thing to figure out with a limited budget left over. I’ll definitly have to check out costco’s selection!
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is definitely a good reminder! In the end what really matters is if everyone has a good time. Decor/flowers/favors and other details aren’t really going to impact that much
  • Kat_
    Super October 2019
    Kat_ ·
    • Flag
    We raised our budget 3x already and are trying to cut back where we can now. It’s really hard and we will be paying it off for a few months after. Weddings are such a production!
  • Michelle
    Beginner March 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I’m having the exact same concerns and anxiety, but I am not settling for not having things the way I want. I would rather spend the extra and have it match my wedding dreams than cut things out that I really envisioned.
  • Christina
    Dedicated July 2019
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    We never set a budget. We found a way to get what we want but cutting costs elsewhere, buying local or DIYing. We are fortunate enough to be getting help from both sides. As you get closer to your date things REALLY start adding up
  • Kellie Martinez
    Super October 2019
    Kellie Martinez ·
    • Flag
    I went over but have no regrets tbh. I’ve continued to add small things I don’t need but told myself I would do if the wedding was paid off far enough in advance that I knew I could add them. (Programs; for example)
  • Leslie
    Devoted August 2019
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our biggest expense has been photography, which I definitly didn’t want to cut back on at all. Im cutting back where I can, but some things just can’t be compromised.
    I hope you don’t end up too far over your budget. Weddings are stressful enough without this added anxiety!
  • J
    Master October 2019
    Jolie ·
    • Flag

Same. Once I added everything up I was kinda like wth didn't think it'd be that high over what we thought, a couple thousand over like you said. I am trying to just cut out decor I don't see myself finding completely necessary and trying to cut out more florals as well. We are sticking to what we have as far as vendors. Just decor and flowers is really the only place I see cutting back. I also plan to sell a lot of decor after the wedding. I never had a full budget but we thought we had an idea of it once we booked the venue and I tried to stay low on all the vendors. I think things just add up quickly. Hoping we get a decent amount of declines because that will really help!

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

We are just spending more at this point. I feel like we've already spent so much, so I don't see the point in trying to cut out stuff now. If I want it, I'm going to have it.

• Arielle
    Expert August 2020
    Arielle ·
    • Flag

It's frustrating how much everything looks in a final budget. I feel like I get a good deal on a florist but then look at the overall budget and wanna scream. We have a friend officiating and a friend that's a photographer paid the DJ in full to get a 10% discount. We try and find creative ways to save money. I get it though...

• MIWM
    VIP June 2019
    MIWM ·
    • Flag

We were under budget!

• Amanda
    VIP December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

We don't have a set budget for each item, we just cost compare and book what we feel is the best value. We are also trying to pay off each vendor well before the wedding so we are only left with our big vendor, our wedding venue (which is All Inclusive). We are having a friend officiant and skipping videography. I'm also DIY many of our decorations (our florist will build on what we are bringing) and my gifts to my bridal party to save some money but it's also fun.

• Andrea
    Super October 2019
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    We spent more than we originally intended to. I’ve done my due diligence in looking for deals and asking for discounts without sacrificing quality. A couple of money saving tips that I’ve discovered:
    *Ask vendors if they offer discounts for paying in cash.
    *Forego favors. They’re unnecessary and a budget suck.
    *If you have any friends who can do hair/DJ/officiate/bake, etc., don’t be shy to ask for their help. Offer payment though!
    *Don’t hire transportation if at all possible. Just use your own vehicles
    *Look for decorations/items that you can resell after the wedding

• Erin
    VIP December 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    We were originally planning to get married in August 2020. But unfortunately we couldn’t afford (and will not be able to afford) a down payment for a venue in time. We ended up having to push our wedding back until April 2021 which gives us more time to save. It’s sad I had to push my wedding back by 8 months, but it makes a lot more sense for us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics