We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

AnewH
Super September 2016

Birthday at a Wedding

AnewH, on July 29, 2016 at 8:26 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 42
Saved Save

Anyone else having a guest with a birthday at their wedding? Are you doing anything for them? I have a cousin who is in their 50's that is having a birthday. My Mom wants us to sing Happy Birthday to him. I am going to add it to my DJ list but I just wonder what you all think about it? I can't imagine he would enjoy this, I know I wouldn't. If he was a child I could understand why we should do this. Just looking for thoughts.

42 Comments

Latest activity by Martha, on August 7, 2020 at 2:26 PM
  • OMW
    Master August 2013
    OMW ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding last year on my birthday, and nothing was done for me. I didn't expect them to. I did leave early, though, to celebrate with my husband.

• BeachDreams
    Master May 2017
    BeachDreams ·
    • Flag

I know some adults who would get a kick out of it, and some who would absolutely hate it. Does your cousin enjoy being in the spotlot? Do you think it would be meaningful for him?

• E+T
    Super September 2017
    E+T ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't do this.

• AnewH
    Super September 2016
    AnewH ·
    • Flag

Honestly my cousin is a depressed drunk. I have never seen him sober. I know he is planning to stay at the wedding, they are getting a hotel. I just can't see him enjoying the spotlight. Anytime I have seen him he is away from everyone practically hiding.

• Jennalyn
    Super February 2017
    Jennalyn ·
    • Flag

My wedding is on my cousins birthday (36). I'm not sure what I will do yet but I think we will prob mention it during our speech and sing happy birthday to him.

• 5starFM
    VIP January 2017
    5starFM ·
    • Flag

My initial wedding date was 1-7-17. The 7th is my mom's birthday. I was going to just wish her a happy birthday when we do the "thank everyone for coming" speech. That's all. Nothing over the top.

• BeachDreams
    Master May 2017
    BeachDreams ·
    • Flag

@AnewH, I think you have your answer. Given that additional info, I would not do this.

• Heather
    Dedicated October 2016
    Heather ·
    • Flag

At our friends wedding last year she had 3 birthdays that same day and an anniversary and they were all close family so she had the dj play happy birthday and they all got a cupcake with a candle on it..it was actually very cute and adorable!!

• AnewH
    Super September 2016
    AnewH ·
    • Flag

I swear I have shot down everyone of my Mom's ideas, dollar dance, self catering, dance to some damn polka music you name it she has suggested it!

• MissMtoMrsC
    VIP November 2016
    MissMtoMrsC ·
    • Flag

That is slightly awkward. I think as a gown ass adult you should not expect other people to celebrate your birthday at their wedding...

• Katie
    Master October 2016
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Please dont do this. My birthday was the same day as my friend's wedding. The bride made me stand in the middle of the dance floor while she got my present ready. She made everyone sing happy birthday to me and it was awful. Unless you 100% know that this person will not feel embarrassed don't do it.

• AnewH
    Super September 2016
    AnewH ·
    • Flag

@Heather that is cute! I have another friend who is having a birthday, but I know she doesn't want it announced. But that is cute. My cousin though will be drinking his supper. Not even kidding about that. We aren't even counting a plate for him.

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

It was my bil's birthday the day before. We had the dj announce it and gave him a small gift. The dj played "Sto Lat" (100 years/best wishes Polish song) and we danced a few steps together Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Devoted July 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

My cousin got married on his mom's birthday. They had a cake for her and our whole family sang happy birthday to her. She loved it!

• MrsOtoBe
    VIP October 2017
    MrsOtoBe ·
    • Flag

I think this is 100% know your crowd/guest. My cousin's birthday will on our wedding but she loves attention / is giddy about us getting married on her birthday. We'll most likely sing / acknowledge it because she would get a kick out of it. In your situation though, it sounds like your relative would not enjoy it one bit.

• colombiana_ac
    Expert August 2016
    colombiana_ac ·
    • Flag

I have a guest with a birthday that day and I was thinking about having the wait staff add a candle to her slice of cake - it acknowledges the birthday without making her the center of attention. Eta: spelling

• Ashley
    Dedicated April 2017
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

We are getting married on my dad's birthday. We will be doing a cupcake, shout out, and song. I'm thinking we will do it before the Father-Daughter dance. But my dad loves being in the spotlight and we play by our own rules so we don't really care what others think. I always say Be Your Own Kinda Happy! In your case it sounds like your uncle wouldn't like it so I probably wouldn't do it. Maybe you can just get the DJ to say we have a guest celebrating a birthday today, Happy Birthday Bob and keep it moving!

• Princess Consuela
    Master November 2015
    Princess Consuela ·
    • Flag

We had two birthdays at our wedding. The DJ just announced "Happy birthday to so-and-so from the bride and groom!" And that was it.

• AnewH
    Super September 2016
    AnewH ·
    • Flag

I'm going to suggest just saying happy birthday rather than sing it. Maybe she will be OK with that. If it were my sister or parent I would probably be good with it. But this cousin most people won't know.

• MrsCollins
    Super June 2016
    MrsCollins ·
    • Flag

I think it is kind of odd. I personally would hate for someone to draw attention to my birthday on their wedding. It is to celebrate the couples marriage, not my birthday!! A good compromise is like others said, have the DJ just announce his birthday rather then everyone singing it....please don't sing him happy birthday, thats awkward.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles