Cevana
Just Said Yes April 2022

Best friend doesn't like the color of the dress she'll be wearing?

Cevana, on December 16, 2019 at 5:55 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 44

My wedding is about two years away, so naturally, my Finace and I have changed the color scheme a couple times. We have the time. So we've finally settled on a color palette and my besr friend who is a bridesmaid is constantly complaining about the color she has to wear. She keeps saying she doesn't...

My wedding is about two years away, so naturally, my Finace and I have changed the color scheme a couple times. We have the time. So we've finally settled on a color palette and my besr friend who is a bridesmaid is constantly complaining about the color she has to wear. She keeps saying she doesn't want to look ugly and that the shade of green is too light for her. She actually had the audacity to ask me to change the colors to suit her better! I'm so upset about this. What do I do??

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

44 Comments

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with stephanie. If I were you, when it's time to think about buying dresses I would go with your friend to try them on. What if the color actually does look bad on her, do you want her looking all washed out in your photos? Maybe there's another green that's really similar and still fits in your scheme? It is your choice, if you want green, then do green, but if you can pick one that makes your girls happy then win win!

• Kerri
    Savvy April 2022
    Kerri ·
    • Flag

I would try my best to reason with your best friend but ultimately it is your wedding and she is being part of it. If she is truly a friend she would just do whatever you want as it is your big day not hers. Sometimes you have to just be selfish on your big day!!!

I am sorry you are feeling this way and I hope all works out for you.

• Kaylyn
    Beginner May 2020
    Kaylyn ·
    • Flag
    It’s your wedding, it’s your day! I say if she doesn’t want to wear the dress because she doesn’t like then she can opt out of being a bridesmaid. It’s ultimately not her day, it’s yours.
  • Future Mrs. B
    Devoted August 2020
    Future Mrs. B ·
    • Flag
    Hold your ground. This is your wedding and you get what you want. Nothing else matters. If it’s that big of a deal then she can be a guest and wear whatever color she wants.
  • Samantha
    Savvy October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Don't let her make you feel bad. It's not her decision to pick a color she likes/wants. You choose the colors you like and if she has a problem she doesn't have to be in it.

• Lemessia
    Just Said Yes November 2020
    Lemessia ·
    • Flag

If she is that hell bent on not wearing that color tell her guest get to wear what they want. She should not be bringing that level of negativity to you or towards your decisions. All that is going to do it make for a sour day.

• Katherine
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Katherine ·
    • Flag
    Doesn’t sound like a very good friend... but two years is a long time so best not to start any arguments about it now
  • Aubrey
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Aubrey ·
    • Flag
    Wow. Tell her the constant complaints about how she will look in the color you have selected have gotten old and if she’d like to step down, she is welcome to. Otherwise, the expectation is that bridal party colors are chosen by A BRIDE, and she should gracefully smile, not be a diva. She may too immature to understand the concept yet, but the day isn’t about her. And complaining to a bride about her bridesmaid colors is the ultimate bad look.
  • Molly
    Super October 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    I agree with everyone who says its not up to her. It's not her wedding! If she doesn't want to wear the color you picked out then it is up to you to tell her that she doesn't have to be in the wedding. A true friend would not care about the color.
  • Ashley
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Tell her to stuff it. lol It's your day, so it needs to be what you want.

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Agreed completely!

• C
    Dedicated September 2019
    Cardioqueen ·
    • Flag
    You are 2 YEARS out and the color of bridesmaid dresses is a pretty minor detail. Have you actually invited this friend to be a bridesmaid? It’s so far away! Focus on finding your venue, nailing down your date and a few other key venues first before getting in some argument about dress colors.
  • Cevana
    Just Said Yes April 2022
    Cevana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s only so far out because I have to plan it from 3000 miles away. It’s in my hometown because I have family member who can’t fly. And it’s the only thing my fiancé wanted to plan besides the venue. Which is picked and paid for. Lol
  • Amber
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I agree with Kari. Maybe have a few different shades of green?

It is ultimately your wedding, but if you put bridesmaids in dresses they hate, then it will likely show up in photos that they aren't as confident. I'm sure you want everyone to look nice.
    I definitely didn't want anyone to hate what they were wearing, so I got my bridesmaids' input on the color and let them all pick the style of dress they wanted from Azazie. I'd hate to have to spend $100+ on a dress I hate and will never wear again, so I'm not going to make anyone else do that. And ask yourself, is the color you chose something you'd even wear? If the answer is no, the other bridesmaids probably don't like it either.
    However, if all of your bridesmaids have different skin tones and you don't want to have different shades for dresses, then that's different because no matter what you do, the color likely won't be flattering on someone.
  • A
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I know some people have multiple shades of their bridesmaid dresses to better suit each of their skin tones, even if it was just so they all looked great in the pictures. It is of course your wedding so it's your choice. If you want to have that color then use that color and she can either stick it up or attend the wedding as a guest instead of part of the wedding party. But that's just my opinion.
  • Ashlee
    Savvy June 2020
    Ashlee ·
    • Flag

It is your wedding and as your best friend she should be supportive and see that it doesn't really matter what color she is wearing, but if you wanted to add a different shade or something then the bridesmaids could pick which one they look. More than 1 color bridesmaids dresses is definitely popular right now!

• C
    Dedicated September 2019
    Cardioqueen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, none of that means you need to choose a specific dress shade two years out.
  • Kalynne
    Savvy July 2021
    Kalynne ·
    • Flag
    While I agree it is not up to her, consider this. Chartreuse green makes me look like I’m going to vomit (I’m Hispanic and have green undertones). Have her send a photo with the dress on. If it’s a truly awful color in her (to the point where she would look sea sick in your wedding photos... maybe consider it 🤷🏽‍♀️. As much as you may love the color, you don’t want someone in your wedding photos looking physiologist. You might kick yourself later.

BUT again, not her choice, if it isn’t a situation like that, and she just doesn’t like it, too bad!
  • Kalynne
    Savvy July 2021
    Kalynne ·
    • Flag
    Physical ill*** not psychologist lol
  • Lisa
    Dedicated December 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Ummm no! She should want to make you happy because it’s you and your FH big day not hers..so if it bother her to the point where she can’t wear that particular color for a few hours that day then she have a choice if she really wants to be in the wedding ,sorry to sound rude but that’s kinda selfish on her behalf.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics