Erica
Just Said Yes August 2020

August Wedding and Covid-19

Erica, on March 28, 2020 at 6:19 PM Posted in California Planning 3 25
Saved
Reply
Hi ladies! Our wedding is supposed to be for August 21st in CA but with the virus going around idk if we should postpone? or just go with it? As of right now all we have paid are deposits but we are supposed to start making monthly payments that we will not get back if we cancel. What do you ladies think? What are all the summer brides doing? Postponing? Canceling? Eloping? It’s hard to plan when you have no clue what’s going on and want to keep your family and friends safe.

25 Comments

Latest activity by Arielle, on March 25, 2021 at 7:39 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think going with it for now is fine ! I can understand your anxiety though where you’re wondering if things will be alright by then. Go over your contracts and see what they even say about postponement or cancellations
    • Reply
  • Kortnie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kortnie ·
    • Flag

    We are getting married August 7th and we are still planning as normal.

    However, we have contacted our main vendors (venue, photographer / videopgraher and DJ) about postponement and they all gave us a Plan B date to hold for free.

    We dont pay any of our vendors until 1 month to 2 weeks until the date so that helps a bit. I think August will be okay, I'm feeling optimistic but I may feel better knowing we have a stable plan B.

    • Reply
  • Erica
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    A plan b is a great idea I think my fiancé and I will have to think of what our plan b is just in case and if our venue would even be willing to work with us on that. You’re lucky that your venue is not requiring payment so early that’s one of the main issues that is holding me back! Good luck with your wedding! 🤗
    • Reply
  • Molly
    Just Said Yes February 2021
    Molly ·
    • Flag

    Hey! I was August 29. Postponed to February. But I am in Australia so our seasons are mixed and winter was scary!! I am glad I pulled the plug early, its the only reason I'm able to get married in 2021 still.

    • Reply
  • Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag

    I'm an August 29th bride and as of now we're planning on having it. My venue said it's too early for them to let us cancel/postpone because of the virus. They said July and August weddings will have decisions in June. For now I'm just holding off on ordering anything with dates on it. Fingers crossed it's all okay by August! If we have to postpone or cancel we'll just wait until next spring or summer...hard to have a fall or winter wedding with the colors we picked.

    • Reply
  • Canadiangal
    Dedicated August 2020
    Canadiangal ·
    • Flag

    Yay date twins! My fiancé and I sat down a couple weeks ago and made a few back up plans as well as decided that we weren’t going to make any decisions until the beginning of May. We decided on May because that’s when our first payment for the venue is due. Right now, we’re leaning towards eloping on the day and having the celebration a year later but not fully deciding until May. For me, having a backup plan makes me feel better. Also, my work closed and I’m out of a job for at least a month so that’s also why we will probably elope and celebrate later

    • Reply
  • Angel
    Savvy February 2022
    Angel ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married in July and are holding off until it gets a little closer before we decide to postpone. We’ve waited 2 years for the wedding and want to give it a chance before jumping the gun, plus we love our date. It’s super scary with all the virus stuff going around, but if people do what they should be doing then it will be over before we know it. Asking your venue for options would be best since they should be able to give you a few plan B’s to ease your mind. Good luck! ☺️
    • Reply
  • C
    Dedicated June 2022
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    Wedding date is August 29th. We also have been making payments already and cannot cancel/postpone without losing all of it, since our venue is not canceling/postponing August weddings yet. It’s really confusing and scary since it’s so much money, but we are moving forward still. We’ll reevaluate in May.
    • Reply
  • Laura
    Champion June 2010
    Laura ·
    • Flag

    Hi Erica! I really hope August will be safe for you, but it is smart to be considering your options now just in case. Review your contracts, be communicative with your vendors, and maybe share some ideas with other August couples - August 2020 Brides, I need you!

    • Reply
  • Rebecca
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    Hi! Our wedding date is August 8th and we are doing the same thing, waiting until May to make a decision. Look over contracts, ask your venue about it, etc. We already ordered invites before all this went down and it’s destination so we are probably going to go for it. If we have to postpone I think we will just have an intimate wedding and move reception to another date! That’s always an option if you want to keep your date but can’t have the big party? Just a thought! Good luck and congrats!
    • Reply
  • M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag

    Our wedding date is August 29th. We are waiting until May 29th to make an official decision, but as of right now, we are strongly leaning towards postponing a year out. My gut feeling is that while things will have slowed down pretty substantially by then, I think it will JUST be slowed down enough for people to be getting back on their feet financially and work-wise.


    I think that through August, people will still be hesitant to travel, and will be wanting to work as much as possible if they were financially impacted from closures. For that reason, we are really leaning towards postponing.


    Good luck to all my August ladies out there...it's definitely been a whirlwind.

    • Reply
  • Michelle
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I’m in the same boat with my wedding scheduled for August 22. My entire bridal party has no wardrobe and I’ve been holding on my invites; although my venue is hopeful to host weddings by June. Our guest count is 175 and I am thinking there will be restrictions to crowds of that size so soon. It’s so stressful not knowing when things will be opened back up and what the next few months will look like. Smiley sad
    • Reply
  • Riot
    Savvy August 2020
    Riot ·
    • Flag
    Our date is August 2nd. We're moving forward, regardless. We've paid for the venue in full already. My idea, if needed, is to have less people come and to do a live feed of the ceremony.
    • Reply
  • Minerva
    Beginner October 2020
    Minerva ·
    • Flag

    Wedding is 8/8, still waiting day by day, although mine is in wine country, likely will wait until July to decide. Where is your wedding located?

    • Reply
  • Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

    Our date is August 16th in Ventura County. I'm trying to remain hopeful, but as we inch closer I'm getting more & more worried. Which sucks, because we should be getting more excited as we get closer to our date. Not have to worry about everything getting ruined. We will still be sending out our invitations mid June, with a little note that says we're staying up to date on everything and will notify everyone if we postpone. Our back up plan A is to have a very small gathering (we're only inviting 50 people anyway) at the same ceremony & reception venue. Back up plan B, (if no one feels comfortable with being around people, etc.) then we will still get our marriage license and what not, but postpone the celebration another year. Fingers crossed that is not the case.

    • Reply
  • Kenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kenzie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Is your venue working with you by postponing at the end of the month? My venue still is not allowing me to postpone. They are convinced we will have 250 without social distancing in August. Highly doubtful being in Maryland, was just curious as to how other venues were working with August brides.

    • Reply
  • Jelmi
    Savvy July 2021
    Jelmi ·
    • Flag
    I am keeping my date which is aug 22
    I’m just so nervous. I don’t want to change the date and if I do I have to pay a 2k fee
    • Reply
  • Canadiangal
    Dedicated August 2020
    Canadiangal ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Our venue gave us the option of postponing, but they were very rude and saying that other couples around our date were changing their 100+ Wedding to be 50 people, which is what we originally had. In my province in Canada, our group gathering size should be 15 by June, which makes me happy that we cancelled because I don’t think it’s likely that the groups will be allowed to be 50 by August, but that’s just my opinion. Our venue wouldn’t give us our deposit back because “we took the date away so no one else could have it” which is bull but whatever. Hopefully your venue will be more understanding the closer you get to your date

    • Reply
  • Thu
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Thu ·
    • Flag

    Our wedding is August 1st in San Diego. We already sent out our invitations with a small special note about COVID. Our venue is flexible in helping us reschedule if there is availability but we are so torn, we don't know what to do. We were going to have 200+ guests wedding but we are just happy if it's 100-150. Do you guys think I should just keep the date for now?

    • Reply
  • Thu
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Thu ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Jelmi, mind if I ask where you will be having your wedding and your guests number?

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics