Asia
Just Said Yes November 2020

Asking my Friends to be bridesmaids

Asia, on June 28, 2019 at 6:27 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Saved Save

I got engaged on 6/22/2019. I am super excited. I have been through a lot over the last 7 years and I never thought I would fall in love and get engaged. I am very nervous about choosing bridesmaids because I don't know if my some of my friends will say no. What should I do? Should I just ask?

9 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    Congrats!!
    Yes, definitely ask the people you can't imagine not standing up there with you to be a part of your bridal party
    A lot of people also do these like bridesmaids proposal boxes.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    You dont know what their answer will be until you ask. But I wouldnt do it until you're much closer (8-10) months out because relationships could change.
  • Liz
    Savvy July 2019
    Liz ·
    Be sure to choose friends and family who are going to take this role seriously. I asked my sisters to be mine and had to fire them 5 months later because they really didn’t show much interest and didn’t order their dress when I asked them to. After numerous reminders I thought it wasn’t worth the headache. It was one less thing I had to worry about.
  • M
    Super June 2019
    Mary ·
    I don't like the concept if proposal boxes because it kinda forces people to say yes, even when they don't want to or can't afford to. Just outright ask them. Is there a reason you think they will say no?
  • Asia
    Asia ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Just that since graduating we are all far from each other.
  • M
    Super June 2019
    Mary ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That shouldn't matter. I asked my girls and they said yes. I havent loved around them for almost 10 years. One is in Missouri and one is in Maryland. I was in South Carolina. They each bought dresses where they lived and it turned out perfect.
  • Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·

Congratulations!

I would definitely take the time to enjoy being engaged before jumping into picking bridesmaids. We were engaged over 2 months before I asked my girls.

I chose those who have stood by me in difficult situations and know that I can trust. My MOH has been my best friend for over 15 years and I love hear dearly. My other bridesmaids are friends that I've known since high school, college, and in other facets in life.

• C
    Devoted November 2020
    Casey ·
    I agree with others to wait until closer to. Not only because relationships change but also because we see a lot of regret over this in these forums! People get frustrated, expect too much, etc.
    Take some time to enjoy your engagement (congrats btw!) Then, Chandra suggested, a little closer to ask.
  • Asia
    Asia ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks so much ladies ❤️

Comment on this discussion