Katie
Beginner November 2020

Art/crafts for guests at the wedding reception?

Katie, on November 21, 2019 at 8:17 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 25
Saved Save

Anyone planning for an artsy time at their wedding? We are both artists and love parties that set aside a space for people to draw/make and want to incorporate a few activities into our special day. The question is which activities to do?! Here's a few we've seen or are considering:

Button-making table: Color/draw your own button (pre-cut papers, some with designs for those who prefer to color than create from scratch)
Sticker table: Color/draw on your own (pre-cut) stickers (some with designs for those who prefer to color than create from scratch)
Some kind of group project that each person can contribute to (one framed canvas? a big roll of paper? a vinyl banner? fabric pieces that can be sewn together later? pennants that can be hung together later?)
Polaroid station: An area for taking Polaroid photos and some kind of display piece, box, or book that everyone can pin/place their shots into.

25 Comments

• Michelle
    VIP December 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

This is just my opinion but I don't think arts and crafts have a place at a wedding no matter how laid back it is. But if I must pick one I would go with the Polaroid station. That's more like a selfie guest book

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I actually kinda like that idea ! Maybe you should do something where it contributes to a larger project. I went to a wedding where they had a book going around where each person or table wrote in a page some mad libs aha e.g. "don't have serious discussions while ....." So maybe you can figure out something artsy in that way.
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Before i got engaged i wanted to do a scrapbook/guestbook and have each guest make us a scrapbook page.
    We didn’t have space for it and I didn’t think my guests would go for it. Each guest signing a fabric square to put together as a quilt would be neat or something similar.
    Other than something like that, I agree with PP that arts/crafts/activities don’t really belong at a wedding. But it’s a know your crowd kind of thing.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    For a wedding, I think a Polaroid area is perfect. A fun food station (mac & cheese bar, crepe station, s’mores bar, coffee/tea bar etc) is also fitting.
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

Some friends got married in December. They didn't want an over the top Christmas theme but they did have a "make an ornament" area with a lit but undecorated Christmas tree. The ornaments worked as their guest book. It was so sweet and fun. I think paring down your ideas to one or two might work best. One can be a take home thing with personalized something, one can act as your guestbook. Or just one as a guestbook alternative. Either way, it should be fun.

• Mik
    Savvy October 2021
    Mik ·
    • Flag

I have seen people write advice on Jenga tiles. I thought it was super cute. I'm thinking about having craft pumpkins with markers on the table for guests to sign/draw on.

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We're not having a traditional wedding Smiley smile It's more of a big party with everyone we hold dear finally getting to meet, so it does indeed have a place at ours. And we're aiming to be fancy as heck, so I'm not looking for laid-back crafting. Pretty much our whole circle of friends and family are artists. When we create together, we're at our best. It makes sense -for us- to do something like this, and to eschew the traditional trappings of a more run-of-the-mill wedding. We are planning a formal ceremony with an officiant, but after that we're looking to create something that's unique to us and how we relate to the ones we love at the reception Smiley smile

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Love this! Thank you! I would love to print a book (beyond the normal guest book) that our friends and fam can have some fun with. This will be fun to brainstorm on!

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I've had friends pitch the scrapbook idea, but it's not really our bag (and seems like a lot of cleanup lol!). I had a cousin do the fabric square thing at her wedding, and it was really sweet, but I'm not much of a quilter either. We both make fine art and I'm a photographer, so I'm hoping to incorporate some of those elements. I'm excited to create some nicely lit photo areas for everyone to go nuts in (we're in SoCal, so that selfie-life is HUGE lol!). Beyond photos, I'd like to do at least one thing that everyone can contribute to, and then one that is something everyone can take home that isn't just another cheap generic wedding favor, you know?

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Mmmmmm fun food station! I'll have to see what my options are once we nail down a venue. Thank you!

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awww! How sweet! I like the idea of people contributing a little piece to a whole. Thank you.

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was actually the one to fill in the mad libs for "don't have serious discussions while...." And I wrote "she's hangry, feed her first"
  • Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

PUMPKINS?! I LOVE that!!! Our wedding will be space themed. Maybe I can incorporate a similar interactive but with small globes (was considering them for static table decor anyway)? Maybe everyone can add a star to a blank star-chart and we can create our own constellations together? Awwww! I just imagined that all pretty and sparkly and with little constellations for different groups of people! Bless you for getting my juices flowing on this one! I hope your pumpkins are a hit!

• Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That sounds incredible!

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

BAHAHAHHAAA! Solid!

• Mik
    Savvy October 2021
    Mik ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks! The same to you! Smiley heart

• Katie
    Beginner November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I'm so nervous to pull it all together, but I just have this feeling that it's really going to be super beautiful. I have a venue tour tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me Smiley winking Finding something indoors that isn't a church, industial, or boho in SoCal is proving to be a challenge lol!

• Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    This feels more like a bridal shower activity than a wedding but that’s just me. My wedding guest book to sign had a polaroid and people added very awesome pics. I think having them the option to take this home as well is great.
  • Jennifer
    VIP September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Art project for the guest to do and that you can use in your home later is EPIC!

Polaroid is great too!
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Sounds like it would be. All the fingers are crossed for you. Have you thought about finding a studio or museum that does events? We have a couple of museums that are big on doing weddings here.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics