April
Dedicated September 2021

Anyone wear a black wedding dress?!

April, on August 23, 2020 at 12:25 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 16
Saved
My FH and I decided on having a more dark themed wedding since we both love Halloween and dark colors. I am super pale and never have looked good in white but was going to jump in and wear a white wedding gown. I haven’t started shopping yet but I’m thinking about wearing black instead. I look better and would definitely feel better in black but I’m not sure how that would work. Anyone wearing black or even a second reception dress that’s black? I’m so indecisive!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Ariel, on August 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    I'm considering it. I don't own anything white. Wear whatever you love and ignore naysayers.

Have you checked out offbeatbride.com? Many beautiful black wedding dresses there.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I don't plan on wearing black but im sure you can find othets who have on offbeat bride. Search for it on YouTube as well.
  • Futuremrsn
    Devoted October 2020
    Futuremrsn ·
    • Flag
    I have a black dress as the second dress for the evening (our wedding is in October) and I too love Halloween! Go for it!
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I had planned on wearing a black wedding dress. As a matter of fact, I was 100% set on it, wouldn’t even try on white dresses! So imagine my surprise when I fell in love with a non-black dress LOL my advice would be to try on both black and non-black dresses and definitely follow your heart and wear the dress you feel beautiful in!! I will say, I had a really hard time finding black bridal dresses. I would call salons and ask them if any of the designers they carry offer their dresses in black. Some of them do, but don’t advertise it, and don’t stock black sample dresses. I would also look for red carpet and special occasion dresses- there are a ton more options in black! Anomalie is a company that will custom make dresses for you, and they do carry black material as well
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Take a look at bridesmaids dresses. Many of them are on the fancier side or look into getting something custommade by a local seamstress.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    I didn't wear black but I wore lavender, and my bridesmaids were in white. It was so fun!
  • RaylaSan
    Expert February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    I think its a fun and cool thing to do, Azazie is selling a black wedding dress if you're interested.
  • Cassandra
    Dedicated October 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag

I'm going with a black dress. Like you It fits my personality better (and out theme) and white does not work with my skin tone, it makes me look sickly sometimes. Also I know I will spill something on the dress if it is white as that is what happens every time I wear anything white.

I recommend looking at Prom dresses, most wedding dress makers from my experience have an extremely limited selection of black wedding dresses. But prom dresses have a large selection, are just as fancy, and for way cheaper.

• Jennifer
    Dedicated October 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married on Halloween, and I considered wearing a black dress, but ended up with an ivory and black one instead (which I love) and my bridesmaids are wearing black instead. I say go with what makes you happy and what will help make your day perfect for you.
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    Anyone wear a black wedding dress?! 1
    I'm wearing this beauty, in a little over 45 days. Im so excited.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Girl, go for it! Especially if you don’t look great in white and want to wear black. Love a moody wedding, so sexy! 🖤 Do you have any inspiration photos yet?
  • Brittany
    Super October 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

So when I went to look for wedding dresses, I told my mum that I was going to wear black and I'll dye the dress black IDC!! Well, we went and I tried on one dress and fell in LOVE with it and didn't want to change it for the world!! Later when we do vow renewals and things like that I will wear a black dress LOL So I decided that I would wear a black dress for the reception. So I think if you want a black wedding dress go for it!! There are so many options like prom dresses and cute short dresses or even the big ball gowns and they will look great!! So I say check out even the white dresses and you could always dye them or even just straight look for black dresses!!

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Christine Quinn, from the reality docu-soap TV show Selling Sunset, got married in a black dress. You should search for photos of her dress and that wedding for inspiration!

• April
    Dedicated September 2021
    April ·
    • Flag
    Thank you all for the advice! I’m starting my shopping tomorrow and will be asking about any black dresses along with the white.
  • Angela
    Beginner August 2021
    Angela ·
    • Flag

Black dress does not give associations with the wedding, but if you want a fully themed wedding-this is a great idea. You can also rent a castle for a celebration or order decorations.

• Ariel
    Savvy June 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag

If that's your thing, wear a black dress! There are definitely really beautiful black wedding dress options out there, like this one from Maggie Sottero is gorgeous:

https://www.maggiesottero.com/sottero-and-midgley/zander/11869

If you know you don't like how you look in white, I would suggest maybe trying a blush or nude colored dress as well. Good luck!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics