Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Super July 2019

Another Tipping Thread

Emily, on July 4, 2019 at 10:55 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 8

Hey everyone - I'm really struggling with what to tip because some of the articles I've read conflict. Here's who I'm unsure of:

DJ - owns the company, we're paying a decent amount too. I've read 10% ... but also that it's not necessary if they own the business.

Venue - this is a tough one. we were charged a 20% service charge ... but the contract says that does NOT include gratuity. Paying another 20% is simply out of the question at this point ... but what would this even cover? I know tipping servers is the norm, but there shouldn't be too many since it's buffet.

Florist - do you tip the florist? I couldn't find much on this.

TIA!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Sherry, on July 5, 2019 at 11:59 AM
  • Jaime
    Dedicated March 2019
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Honestly it's up to you...for instance, my wedding we got a huge blessing and they didn't charge us extra for more ppl...which for us...we used that money to tip...we gave the venue, an all inclusive venue( coordinator, DJ, servers, and bartenders) 2500 and they split it accordingly. We gave the make up ppl 20% which was in the contract. And the photo and video we gave 100 each to the photographer and videographer(3 ppl). And 50 to the assistants(2 ppl).
  • MrsJohansson
    Expert June 2019
    MrsJohansson ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Personal choice. If you feel like tipping then you tip. I think it doesn't matter if the person owns the business or not.. if they are there working for you and you want to tip for service in general then you should include them. Anything 10% and up is considered ok. If the florist did a great job and you are happy and want to tip for service then you should tip.

• Kim
    Super September 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Hi! Our venue is all inclusive as well and already includes service charge and gratuity. Is yours the same? And you just decided to give the staff additional 2500 tip? Thank you!

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Hey Emily!!

Tipping is an important way to show your appreciation for a service you are being provided on your wedding day, especially if you feel that they did a great job.

Check out this article that gives a breakdown and explanation of tipping different vendors - Exactly How Much To Tip Wedding Vendors: A Complete List

You can also check out these other community discussions about tipping your vendors that you might find interesting!

Tipping vendors

Tipping

Tipping

Tipping for All Inclusive Venues

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    My venue was inclusive. I tipped the servers, bartenders and kitchen staff. I gave my FIL the money and he handled it. I had a wedding coordinator through the venue but I did not tip her. Trust me, she did not earn a tip. She really earned a tongue lashing but she's not worth it lol. All our other vendors were self employed. The DJ services cost 850 for the day. I bought his dinner which was 50 and tipped 50. The photographer was over 2k. I bought her dinner which was 50 and tipped 50. Dinners for our vendors were not in the contracts. I asked them if they wanted meals and they said yes. Our officiant cost 350. I tipped him 25 and donated 50 to an animal rescue per his request. I didn't tip my florist sadly. I never saw him and no one else did. I'll probably send him a couple photos of the flowers when we get our pictures back. I did not tip either of my seamstresses and I'm glad I didn't because they're work was total crap.

• Futuremrsk
    VIP August 2019
    Futuremrsk ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Personal choice honestly. I feel as though it's like any other service you pay for. If you love and enjoy the work, you give a tip. For us 20% is out of the question since we are already paying thousands for DJ and photos and stuff. We are planning on having an envelope for the dj, with probably 75 bucks as a tip to give him towards the end of the night. For the photographer we are planning on sending a thank you card with a check for the tip once we get some photos back. Our officiant we will probably give a tip of about 50 with a nice card.

I dont agree with the whole dont tip if they own the business. I'm sorry, most photographers own their own business and do ALL THE WORK. Same for some djs, florists, etc. Yes, they set their prices, but we have to remember that those prices reflect an hourly rate, costs to rent an office space, overhead for utility bills at said office space, plus some of the cost of equipment is factored into it. So yes, while the cost may seem staggering at first, when you think about where all that money goes to, they may not be actually making as much of a profit as it seems. So for me personally, they deserve a tip just like any other worker. Think of it this way, if you went to a restaurant and the owner was your server that evening because they were short staffed so they jumped in to help, would you not tip them because they are the owner? No, you would tip them like any other server.
  • Jaime
    Dedicated March 2019
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    The gratuity was not included in our contract. I know that 2500 is a lot but paying 20% was out of the question as well.
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Tipping is never required so it is totally up to you who and how much. I also read articles stating that if they own their own company, you should not tip. All of our vendors, own their own company other than the people that will be delivering and setting up the buffet so we will tip each of them individually. As far as the others, we aren't giving monetary tips. We are having custom gifts made for them instead and they are all welcome to stay for the reception afterwards. The only vendors we will have is our officiant and photographer though so ours is easy. Our DOC is a family friend so she will be getting a gift and a large tip even though she will probably not take it since she has already told us to not pay her anything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics