Sandy
Dedicated September 2019

Alternative reception activities

Sandy, on January 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Posted in Wedding Reception
We’re a bit older and neither we nor our friends do the dancing thing, so we’re not having a band or dj at our reception for ~25 people. We’re just setting up a laptop & speakers for some music. I’m planning a couple of group games and setting up a game table with a variety of board games, coloring pages, etc.

I had another idea I need some feedback on. The idea is to set up several craft tables where guests can make something to take home (in lieu of favors) if they wish. They could be things like:
- make your own mini Marino Moss Ball aquarium,
- make your own air plant terrarium,
- make your own alcohol ink coasters,
- make your own button flower bouquet,
- make your own mini topiary.

Those are what I’ve come up with so far. They’re all things that don’t take a lot of time & aren’t very expensive to set up. I’d choose 2-3.

What do you guys think? Would you like something like this if you went to a reception? Any advice or ideas?

Alternative reception activities 1

Alternative reception activities 2

Alternative reception activities 3

Alternative reception activities 4

Alternative reception activities 5

Alternative reception activities 6

Alternative reception activities 7
Share:

10 Comments

• Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly ·
    I personally would prefer to just eat/drink/mingle rather than do an activity but I think this is a know your crowd thing!
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree personally

and am still driving myself crazy debating if I need games or tv for Monday night football

ive just been asking my vips and unanimously they say photobooth or nothing

its definitely crowd specific

is the event dry?
  • Kristin
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kristin ·
    I personally love crafts and making things so I would love this! Having a couple tables set up to give your guests the option to make something, but not required to. I say go for it!
  • SummerBride77
    Expert July 2019
    SummerBride77 ·
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this. Also, depending on how dressy your reception is I wouldn't be super excited to do crafts in a nice outfit. I do love your board game idea, those are always good to get the conversation started if you're worried.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Master March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    View Quoted Comment

Me too! I love this idea for a bridal shower but not a wedding reception. Yummy food & drinks is all I need as a guest. If you're looking for an activity, a food station helps guests move around a bit. A meat carving station or pasta station for a meal, or a dessert bar or fancy coffee bar for dessert. But not necessary.

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2019
    Melissa ·
    This sounds amazing, but I am a craft lover. I would have the tables set up with options but don’t be surprised if you have some leftovers. Board games are a great idea. I know I’m always down for any game
  • Monica
    Dedicated July 2020
    Monica ·
    I LOATHE doing anything crafty at all, and I LOVE dancing, so I would be incredibly bored at such a reception. My honest opinion...
  • Loida
    Dedicated December 2019
    Loida ·
    I agree that it's def a know your guests type of thing. I personally would be thrilled to do this at a reception, but then as you can see there are other who would not be so happy about making crafts..
    So it all depends on your guests. But I like the idea that you have !! The ink dyed coasters and the airplant tarrarium would be my favorite !!!

• C
    Super January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    I love to craft, but would not enjoy it at a
    wedding. It feels very summer camp to me. I would not want a craft souvinir from a wedding unless I was under 10 or so.

But that’s just me. Obviously there are others that would enjoy this.
  • Sandy
    Dedicated September 2019
    Sandy ·
    Well, that’s a no. Ya’ll are right about the limited interest and we will be too dressed up for this. It’s not like I don’t have enough to do anyway! 😏

Comment on this discussion