We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

C
Savvy November 2019

Alcohol for Reception?

Cheyenne, on April 18, 2019 at 8:09 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 34
Saved Save

Where did everyone get the alcohol for their reception? we want to do open bar wine, beer, and spirits but I don't want to go broke lol. How much did you spend? We have roughly 150 guests and probably 120 of them drinking.

34 Comments

Latest activity by Porterpoppin, on May 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I plan to do wine & beer only, simply because we cannot afford to provide liquor & mixers too. I will probably get our beer form Costco or SamsClub, and our wine from somewhere like TraderJoes. For liquor though, you'll get it from the ABC store.

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I only want to do spirits as well because I'm not huge on wine and only really like craft beers (that sounds so boujie typing) but I figure with craft beer I'll spend as much as I would on liquor. I just want to do like a his and her drink so it would only probably be two types of liquor and would be premixed!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It's not boujie...you like what you like. The way our venue is (really laid back, in the country/woods...barn type), we have free range to pretty much do whatever we want. So we are encouraging our friends to bring a bottle AND we will have an assortment of moon shine that a friend is gifting us, lol. We're only paying for the beer & wine though. Smiley xd Smiley winking

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thats a really good idea actually! I thought about asking a few of my uncles (all whiskey connoisseurs) to bring a bottle and then going about it that way! I love encouraging your friends to bring a bottle, though. That is so exciting for you!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you. That is just the way we are. Normally at "parties" everyone brings a bottle to pass around/share....so we figured our wedding isn't any different. We aren't specifically asking anyone to, just wrote on our website that if they wanted to they could. Besides, my crowd is the type that normally brings flasks to weddings anyways....so there really is no stopping it or need for me to provide extra, haha.

• Becca
    Expert July 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag

We are getting several pony kegs of craft beer from several breweries in my town (Portland - king of microbrews haha). Then for wine, we are members at a few wineries and they give a membership discount. So we are getting our wine by the case that way. When it comes to wine, it is cheaper if you go by the case generally.

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My crowd is definitely the same way so I should have thought of that before lol love that!

• Michelle
    Devoted August 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We are having a open bar.. we went to Costco in Myrtle beach Sc. Liquor was way cheaper
    not sure if you are close to that or not but it’s cheaper...
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag

We did wine (3 types), beer, and then we bought premixed margaritas, premixed long islands and premixed strawberry daiquiris. It was so much cheaper this way! We still hired a bartender to serve it (required-$150) and our guests loved it all!! We spent about $350 on what we bought and we got it all from a liquor store. My step dad talked to a few liquor stores and told them what all we needed and they gave us a little discount for buying in bulk

• Alisha
    Super April 2021
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    We have and open bar that came with our package (venue). Everyone has a great ideas. It is a matter of what you would like to have at your wedding and the choice you make will be great.
  • Cynthia
    Expert May 2019
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    BevMo always has the 5 cent wine sale. Buy one bottle, get the second (same bottle) for 5 cents. It’s basically BOGO free. I think that’s only on wine and not beer or liquor, but that coukd help you save $!
  • C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm in North GA so thats actually pretty close to me like i think its around 6 hours (and gives me an excuse for a weekend getaway!!) but i have a costco membership in GA so I wonder if the prices would be the same??

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Omg thats such a good idea! I actually really like that because that would definitely come out cheaper and would cover all the bases!

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've never heard of BevMo so I'll have to look into that but that sounds amazing!

• Michelle
    Devoted August 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s cheaper for us to go to Sc then NC that’s for sure. Maybe you can call them in Myrtle beach and see if they can give you prices over the phone? I would tell them im having a wedding and need a few bottle and just trying to get a ball park number so we can get an idea
    hope they will help you
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Exactly! People will be grateful for those options and it covers a wide range of preferences! It was my moms idea lol we had about 150 guests and bought 8 of each premixed drink ($10-$12 each), 6 bottles of each wine and idk how much beer for sure but I wanna say 4 24 packs.

We had 1 case of beer left, 4 of the premixed margaritas, 2 bottles of the long island iced tea left, not sure how much wine was left. We had brunch the next day and was able to serve up some of the left over drinks at my moms to those who came over.

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We're doing a going away brunch the next day so this would be perfect!!! Thank you!

• C
    Savvy November 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'll definitely give them a call today and give a call to the one near me to see if I can get a price comparison. We're part of a wine membership thing for the wine but I know Aldi also has super cheap wine and a girl I know posted about how she got Walmart to price match amazon prices on beer and saved a TON of money, so I'm going to try that too!

• Lauren
    Dedicated September 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

We are doing beer, wine, and some liquor drinks. My venue suggested going to Total Wine or Costco/Sam's to purchase what we want as they usually run sales. We will be doing craft beer because it is what we usually drink, so expecting it to be a good amount. We want our guests to have fun though, so it is worth the money!

• Jessica
    Expert October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    We're doing the same and are having the same amount of guests as well! Are you hiring a bartender or is it self serve? That's the only thing my awesome venue requires is a licensed bartender.

I'm struggling to figure out amounts for everything as well but there are some "online party alcohol calculators " out there, just do a search on google.
    It's also best to buy your alcohol in bulk. Try to find a liquor warehouse that lets you return unopened bottles (here in Texas Spec's does it. Twin liquors does not). Considering we're also having a day after party, anything we don't drink we'll just be bringing home so here's to hoping! Lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles