Maria
Dedicated August 2018

Affordable Vs. Debt

Maria , on June 19, 2018 at 1:37 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 31
Saved Save
Throughout this wedding planning experiance FH and I knew that we weren't going to put ourselves in the whole for a single day of our lives. We've cut corners on some things, splurged on others and searched for bargins on most. We're coming closer to the end and I truly believe I'm going to love every aspect of our day.

Each couple is different. Each day is different and should be! What's important to you may not be as important to me. For instance FH and I didn't want to spend a fourtune on dinnerware and tableclothes. It's an aspect not many of our wedding guests will be judging or looking closely at during the day. I never remeber either from weddings I've attended! So we chose to buy all disposable dinnerware. Heavy duty classic white paper dinner and dessert plates, clear plastic 9oz cups, paper dinner napkins and "silver" plastic silverware. We also have 20 round tables. Instead if paying $5 a piece for a table cloth (not including shipping) or renting some locally for $11+ a piece we bought several white rectangle tableclothes at our local thrift shop, cut them into squares and will use them for our round tables. I spent over $1000 on my dress, $2,500 on oir photographer and $120 for my hair and makeup. Some of the items I knew I wanted the better quality of. All of the flowers, centerpieces and decor is DIY.

What things ir aspects are important to you on your wedding day? Would you be thrifty? Would you choose debit over compromise?

31 Comments

• Powers2
    Master April 2018
    Powers2 ·

No I did not and would not go into debt* for my wedding.

There a lot of things to go into debt for- a house, an education, medical costs. An optional party is not one of those things, IMO.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·

I would never go into debt for any social event I am hosting, We set our budget and stuck to it.

Everyone has to prioritize their choices. My priorities were what would make my wedding a better experience for my guests: food, wine, appropriate linens, glassware and cutlery, comfortable seating and environment etc.

• Mrs. Fall Bride
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Fall Bride ·

No, we did not go into debt for our wedding, and I did not put my personal wants over my guests' experience. Like @Muriel said, my guests being able to cut their steak with a real knife on a real plate was pretty important to me.

• FutureMrsN14
    Super July 2018
    FutureMrsN14 ·
    FH was willing to splurge on DJ, I was willing to splurge on photographer. I think most things we tried to be thrifty with though
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·

I don't think anyone wants to go into debt for their wedding. Many have long engagements for that reason. We chose to do a Vegas DW to keep the cost down. Every aspect is important to me as all the pieces come together to make it your day. I wanted the wedding feel with real plates and silverware and venue so we chose a place that has all of that.

• SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB ·

I chose to cut corners on dinnerware as well - we are going the plastic route and I'm saving tons of money by doing that. My top 3 choices to splurge on were my venue, dress and photographer and we really only splurged on the venue. We also chose to spend a good portion on alcohol because that's an important aspect for my guests and us.

As for going in debt, no. We have budgeted and afforded what we can so far. We make payments when we can and do plenty of research before booking/buying. I would much rather put my money into a home rather than a day of celebration.

• Allie
    Super September 2018
    Allie ·

I think this is a cool discussion! So NO i will not go into debt for my wedding, my personal choice but i think its a rough way to start a marriage, and your wedding is simply to start you marriage! Now everyone is different as you said so ill leave that there. lol We splurged on food/drink and photography, and then our honeymoon! Those will end up being the most expensive things! But my photos ill have forever, and the food/drink i think others will remember! So thats why i spent my money there! With less then 3 months to go im happy with my decision, and i think our wedding will still be beautiful!

• V
    Dedicated October 2018
    Valerie ·
    No debt here!!! FH and I have been together for 8 years now and have struggled to get to where we are today. We have saved over the years and had $10,000 in savings so I made that my budget. We will seal this deal on October 13, 2018 and I can tell you we won't be spending more than $6,000 on the entire wedding. The best part is no debt when its all over with. Just fun happy memories to enjoy for the rest of our married lives!!!!!
  • Angelica
    Devoted June 2019
    Angelica ·
    Nope, no debt here. It's one day out of the rest our lives. The most important things to me were the venue and the food. Everything else I've been bargain hunting for or DIYing. I don't regret a thing.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

We will not be going into debt over a party.

We splurged on our caterer, DJ, and DOC.

We are getting reasonable deals for our photographer, and venue rental.

We cut costs on florals (greenery only, and lots of candles), my wedding dress (on sale at Davids Bridal) a lot of decor (I never buy anything full price unless its worth it, we got a lot of great finds on decor) and we saved on ceremony space (getting married at FH church for free). We also bought all of our linens because it was cheaper than renting them, including table cloths and linen napkins. We plan to try to resell them or donate to our venue after the wedding since the venue doesn't provide them. We are also saving on alcohol by only having beer and wine.

• Kaye
    VIP October 2018
    Kaye ·

Definitely no debt here. I'm working a crap ton of overtime, but I will not be assuming any debts.

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·

NO debt here either, I work two jobs to make sure of that.

• Tammy
    Super October 2018
    Tammy ·

No debt here either (I splurged on my dress but FH assumed I wouldn't stick to my dress budget anyways and I cam in less then half what he thought I would spend so that's savings right? HA!)

I picked up a second job bartending to make sure we didn't!

• Tpatb
    Master August 2019
    Tpatb ·
    We aren’t going to go into debt over our wedding. My FH has been the primary bread winner and I just finished with my Master’s so we already had to save while I was in school. Adding debt for a wedding on top of that would just be too much. To save we have cut corners on our invitations..we bought preset ones and he used to work in a print center so he will do the rest..that only ran us $4 & the ink/printing won’t be much. We also are considering not doing programs as most people throw them away. Single layer of cake & cupcakes instead of tiered..& we simply just opted for a longer engagement: 23 months.
  • Kaitlin
    Savvy November 2019
    Kaitlin ·
    I know someone who went into debt with their wedding... I’m sure for some couples it’s doable but based off of their experience, I’m avoiding it
  • OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    Nope no debt for a wedding. We made the decision to keep it under $3000 and we did just that.
  • Cheryl&rock
    VIP June 2019
    Cheryl&rock ·
    We spent $5000.00 on our venue which includes :
    Five hour block for 100 guests
    Appitizer
    Buffet dinner: 1 pasta, 2 entrées, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
    All linens in our theme colors
    Place settings
    Glasses
    4 hour open bar, place settings included
    Chairs decorated with covers and bows
    Ceiling drapes
    Uplighting
    Ceremony in a ceremonial room
    We found a DJ for 5 hours for $350.
    My daughter is making our cake (she had a bakery)
    My sister is doing the centerpieces, bouquets and boutonnieres
    We're thinking the final cost will be between $7000 & 7500
    It will be paid off before the wedding, so no left over debts from it.
    My dress will be the least expensive item. That is my choice.
    I've seen some of the pricing for weddings and I was shocked! But, if I could afford it I would do it!!!
    But what we have selected we are both very happy with!! ❤️ ❤️
  • MrsPreach2018
    Master August 2018
    MrsPreach2018 ·
    We didn't want to go into debt. We set our budget, and we've stuck to it for the most part, we did allow some cushion in case we needed it. Most of the things I bought gor decor were on sale, and I wanted to make sure I can re-use.
  • Annie
    VIP October 2018
    Annie ·

We're not going into debt and have tried to cut corners where we can. We aren't giving grandparents flowers, we've kept our guest list relatively small (98 people to be exact) and we're only doing a small cake and grooms cake. We will have beer, wine, and a signature drink. We're not doing too much décor other than centerpieces & we're using pumpkins for them rather than flowers. We want ourselves and our guests to have a great time and wanted to cut where it wouldn't hurt our experiences.

• M
    Devoted August 2018
    Melissa ·
    We are not going into debt but we’ve had significant help from my family. If they would not have helped out we would have done something completely different that was within our budget.

Things I cared about and splurged on:
    Food/Alcohol
    Live band
    Dress
    Bridesmaids gifts and paying for hair/makeup

Thingd I didn’t care about and left out/cut back on;
    Flowers at the church -I doubt many of our guest make it to our full catholic mass. I’m not paying a bunch of money on flowers no one will see.

My shoes- you can’t even see them

Table cloths/napkins- our venue included linens in either white or black. We could have rented different colors but it wasn’t important

i feel the same way as OP. If I hear through the grapevine that people were judging my lack of church flowers, I won’t be upset.

Comment on this discussion