Skip to main content
Taylor
VIP October 2020

Actual Cost of a Wedding

Taylor, on August 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Posted in Planning 104

Okay ladies! How much are you budgeting and how much are you expecting to ACTUALLY spend on your entire wedding? I always hear that you go over what you expect to spend. What are the hidden expenses that randomly come up that you don't even think about? I have a pretty good idea of what will be...

Okay ladies! How much are you budgeting and how much are you expecting to ACTUALLY spend on your entire wedding? I always hear that you go over what you expect to spend. What are the hidden expenses that randomly come up that you don't even think about? I have a pretty good idea of what will be spent on each item and altogether it totals up to be within my desired budget but I know the reality of it all and I can't afford to be too much over that. My parents have made their contribution and would like to help as we get closer but I don't want to ask for anymore money! It's my wedding, not theirsSmiley smile Any input would be very appreciated!

104 Comments

• CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    • Flag
    We just got married and ended at roughly $8,500, which is $500 under what we had budgeted for! Last minute expense can be linens, tips, undergarments for the dress, gifts for the bridal party/parents/helpers, if you get your nails done if that’s from your budget, minor things like that.
  • Florida Marlins
    Expert October 2017
    Florida Marlins ·
    • Flag

We budgeted $2500 and spent close to $2800. Not including my $60 dress or his $700 ring. That was venue rental ($500) photography ($500 -she was starting out) food and drink was around $1200, pro musician at reception was $350 - he is a pro but he is also a friend from high school - my hubby was so impressed he probably tipped him enough to cover his usual fee of $500.

I still have graduate school loans (went back after I was 40) plus two kids in college. We could not spend a lot, nor did we want to. We had a great afternoon wedding with great food and liquor - not too much was consumed as it was lunch. Our officiant was free (do not recommend that, lol) and the rest was invites, postage, thank you cards and our floral was $100. We were married in an arboretum so all the flowers were included in the venue cost, I guess! We hosted between 48 and people, I can't remember the exact amount. There was no fee to reserve the private dining room so that was a big plus. It was our favorite restaurant, too!

• Devin
    Super October 2019
    Devin ·
    • Flag
    I wanted to stay under $12k but I think we are around $15k
  • Kat_
    Super October 2019
    Kat_ ·
    • Flag
    We are paying for ours ourselves and tried super hard to stay on a low budget. It’s really hard, at least in Atlanta. We started at $10k. Then upped it to $15k. Then realized we didn’t have a rain option and switched venues (and dates) upped it to $25k. Our planner miscalculated at it went to $30k. It’s topping out at about $35k not including honeymoon. Plus, all the purchases like gifts for wedding party and parents, unity items, our accessories, etc is coming out of our spending money. Brace yourself.
  • S
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Sadie ·
    • Flag
    We are only spending $5,000.00. We are at $3,900.00. Not much left to do, the venue was only $1500, Dress was $800, Pics I got a deal on so we are killing this budget!!
  • 8Bitbek
    Devoted October 2020
    8Bitbek ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We're hoping for the same budget with a similar guest count.
  • Sara
    Expert October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    We did spend about 50k. We were hoping to spend about 30k or less but we didn’t realize how much things cost. We are having a destination wedding so it was hard to know what to get cheap on. I wished we skipped the invitations. And if we did our research for an event planner, we would have hired someone that had time for us.
  • B
    Savvy June 2020
    Bri ·
    • Flag
    Our entire wedding is costing $2,000. We budgeted for $1,500.
  • Tiffany
    Savvy March 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    We have all of my costs calculated to accommodate if we go over on anything. So, at the end of the day, my parents will be spending around $28,000-$30,000. That’s including everything, like my wedding gown, food, photography/videography, etc.
  • A
    Expert August 2019
    Aliciabilly2019 ·
    • Flag
    I did a rough estimate of ours and said no more then 8,000 but its almost to 10,000 and 20 days away so not to many last min things to get other then rose petals for the isle for day of ...hair and makeup day of etc so yea almost 10,000 lol if you have a strong will and can find your dress at good price and keep your guest list low then you should be ok guest list is what gets you bc food vedor you pay however much per plate and it adds up quick and then venue charges if its a saturday its more for venue prices etc fri and week days are cheaper i did fri bc its cheaper but don't forget people get a plus one not all will bring one but they get one etc or people with kids make sure to specify if your having adults only reception etc or kid friendly if so then dont forget things to keep kids occupied like having them color or draw you a card something....but just little things add up your wedding flute and cake cutter set jts not cheap if your picky like me lol...just dont settle keep pricing things out first before you decide in any one thing bc you can find cheaper ....Good Luck
  • Chloe
    Devoted October 2020
    Chloe ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t really set a budget and though we knew weddings were expensive we were not expecting it to be this expensive lol. Right now were expecting to spend around $25k for a guest list of 175. Honestly though it’ll probably be more around $30k when all is said and done.
  • MIWM
    VIP June 2019
    MIWM ·
    • Flag

We got married June 8th our budget was $10,000 we came in under that at $7,000 and some change

• A
    Dedicated September 2021
    Adwoa ·
    • Flag

For me my costs mainly were 1) the number of guests and 2) the location. I am getting married in a major city so that already ballooned the price. My sister tried to tell me "pick a non conventional wedding venue to save costs" . HA that was funny seeing as how we plan to invite 200 people, so if you can keep it small (under 75 guests) then choosing a non conventional wedding space will save lots with the budget. Good luck! when you find out the secret to stay on budget please let me know Smiley smile

• Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    My venue cost 4x what I was planning for. I had a different venue in mind when I was planning. They weren't sure if they were available the day I wanted. I waited a month and then booked a different venue.
    With the vibe of the venue, I decided I wanted a specific party bus... which cost me about 7x more than I was planning for.
    But I made the choice to spend and extra 3k on these 2 things.
    Catering at $10/head is low, but adds up real fast.
    Tipping and lunches the day of were also a surprise cost. Just didnt think about them.
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag
    When it's all said and done, we will spend right at 6k. Our original budget was 4k but we decided to add things, rent a house for the weekend for out of town guests, extra hours at the venue etc.
  • ARIEL
    Devoted October 2020
    ARIEL ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG I'm feeling it now! I am also having a wedding in Atlanta and it is just no way to stay in a low budget unless you go an hour out (Ours started at 15k and once we got the venue it jumped to 20k but looking like we have to bump it to 25k). It is pretty crazy but we won't go out of Atlanta. What venue did you choose?

• ARIEL
    Devoted October 2020
    ARIEL ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Girl, how? My mom keeps saying I should have had a destination wedding because it would've been cheaper but 50k. wow

• Gracie
    Beginner September 2019
    Gracie ·
    • Flag
    My budget is around 25k but it’s getting closer to 30k.(60-80 guests) We forgot to think about bridesmaids gifts, groomsmen gifts, decoration renting. Small stuff that we forgot to include. When we did the budget only for big stuff like wedding dress(if I could turn back time I would look for something cheaper but I can’t help it when the dress I got now is the one lol) , flowers, venue, DJ, alcohol, photography, Hair and make up, ( engagement session, bridal trials), dance class! Is a must if u can’t dance like me lol Also, I found a very good Dj he knows what he’s doing he help us with the timeline of the wedding so we didn’t have to find wedding planner. He always say that no one going to care about how much more you need for the flowers, or more decorations to your venue. The guest will remember the food, the music and how they have fun with the bride and the groom.

Ps. I never knew wedding could get this expensive lol 😝
  • Sara
    Expert October 2019
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t even know how it got that high! The city we are getting married in is expensive. Plus we are also paying for a house for the bridal party to stay in for a week. If it wasn’t for housing since we got a big house for us to stay in, a condo for my future parents in law and a condo for us for our honeymoon, I think we would be able to take 10k off. Plus this is our first wedding planning, we are the first to get married out of the kids on his side of the family so we were like the test run. Plus I let her decide on a lot of the things like everyone is getting hair and make up including her and her sister. And I always get her input before I do anything. My sister had a destination wedding 2 years ago and they spent crazy amounts of money. I think this time my parents learned and told me to have a small wedding. Which we did but also out of town which they aren’t very pleased with.
  • ARIEL
    Devoted October 2020
    ARIEL ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow. We are the first to have a wedding on both sides of our family so this is very new and I've been pretty much doing it on my own but I've always been a planner and a budget-er. I snuck a peek at your venue, its gorgeous though! I wish you the best and can't wait to see pics!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics