Taylor
Super October 2020

Actual Cost of a Wedding

Taylor, on August 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM Posted in Planning 5 104
Saved Save

Okay ladies! How much are you budgeting and how much are you expecting to ACTUALLY spend on your entire wedding? I always hear that you go over what you expect to spend. What are the hidden expenses that randomly come up that you don't even think about? I have a pretty good idea of what will be spent on each item and altogether it totals up to be within my desired budget but I know the reality of it all and I can't afford to be too much over that. My parents have made their contribution and would like to help as we get closer but I don't want to ask for anymore money! It's my wedding, not theirsSmiley smile Any input would be very appreciated!

104 Comments

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

If everything goes according to plan, we should be coming in under our $20k budget. If not probably $21-22k.

• Virginia
    Devoted April 2020
    Virginia Online ·
    • Flag

All said and done (including my dress, accessories, and honeymoon)...I am at $16k which is about $4k over the budget. Oh well....it'll be worth it!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We spent around $55k but I am not 100% sure on the final number. Extra expenses (to us) that I didn't initially plan for were: tips, parent gifts, menus/signs/favors, vendor meals, flowers.

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What were the things that put you over? We're hoping to be around $21k for a wedding for 200. This is not with a honeymoon. I haven't really taken my own accommodations for the night before into account. Also didn't really plan for the engagement photo outfits, money I'll spend during Bachelorette party, etc. I might be looking too deep into this but I like to know everything that is happening down to the last detail. HAHA

• Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Who are you expected to tip and how much would you say is customary?

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have absolutely NO idea what is customary. We are tipping our officiant $50, DJ $100 ($50 per person), Photographer $100 ($50 per person), HAMU $200 ($50 per person) and DOC $100 ($50 per person). They were the vendors that went above & beyond. We are waiting on our videographer to see if we tip depending on the video (it takes up to 5 months to get it back to us) and we are still deciding on the caterer. So we aren't tipping our dessert, venue, florist, or transportation.

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I never kept really good track of everything but my guess is that we were around $20k for 52 people. We are an older couple and second wedding for me so it didn’t really matter. We just wanted everyone to have a great time.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Things I didn’t initially factor in that added up quickly: taxes, delivery charges, service fees, tips, food for getting ready the day of, wedding party and parent gifts.
  • Virginia
    Devoted April 2020
    Virginia Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I grossly underestimated the cost of our honeymoon so there's that. I also spent a little more then I thought I would on my dress and alterations are an added cost I didn't take into account. We also decided to add a photobooth. Everything else is pretty much on par with what we had expected.

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    • Flag
    I wanted to spend $12k and spent at least $20k. There weren’t any unexpected expenses, the problem was I had no clue how much stuff actually costs. Yes I could get married at a park with vendors who are college students but I have no interest in that so I’ve just been writing checks 🤦‍♀️
  • Candice
    Devoted July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag

We used the weddingwire budget tool to set limits for everything. We are well under budget on many things we were willing to spend big money on. Our estimated cost is around $6500. But as of right now we are well under $5,000, we still have about 11 months to go until the big day but we are determined to avoid the bridal upsell wherever possible and that's been working out for us so far.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    Hidden expenses for me were small things I had to buy and it added up because we didn't expect to need them aha. Wanted to spend $15k and ended up with $16.2k but this didn't include around $2k worth of things such as rehearsal dinner and his suit and anything else we used beyond the wedding just because that was our thank you to our wedding party and his suit was a general suit beyond the wedding.
  • Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is my exact issue! I originally thought "10k sounds reasonable". Then I started inquiring about venues (I also am not into a park or community hall) and the one we booked ended up being $5k! My $10k quickly doubled. I'll be living on ramen for the next year. Smiley smile

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    We had a 71 person wedding for about 20k. I haven't put all our final numbers together yet so I don't know the exact amount. I didn't create a budget actually. I didn't factor in tipping and parent gifts until closer to the date. I tipped very similar to Future Mrs.D.
  • Saydee
    Super August 2019
    Saydee ·
    • Flag
    I estimated $6k max and it's turning out to be around $10k. Not including honeymoon.
    I went with all inclusive and the pic is all venue related costs.
    I am spending another $1k on dresses and decor and stationary, hair, makeup.
    My groomsmen, bridesmaids and groomsmen sent another $1k total
  • Taylor
    Super October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What was the most costly portion of your wedding? I'm expecting (praying) to be around $20k for 200 guests!

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    We’re going to be within our $25k budget, but there were some smaller things we didn’t account for like my mani/pedi the week of the wedding, food for everyone while getting ready, and delivery fees.
  • Saydee
    Super August 2019
    Saydee ·
    • Flag
    Oh yeah, I don't have to worry about tips either, they included it in our fee
  • Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Customary is really highly dependent on a number of factors. In my husband’s culture it would be crazy and over the top for anyone to spend more than $1k on their wedding.

Our original budget was $10k but we went over and ended up soundly in the $15k zone.
  • Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Same. Just do your research. Small things that add up were the personal touches and postage for invitations I didn't think about.

Comment on this discussion