Ranalla Photo & Films Reviews

9 | Chico, CA

9 Reviews for Ranalla Photo & Films

Megan · Married on 10/19/2017

I can’t believe how lucky we were to find such an amazing photography team. These two were so sweet and accommodating, always understanding of what our vision was and how to accomplish it. They really made us feel special throughout the whole
    Process, not just the day of and it made us so comfortable and at ease. Truly the best!

Sent on 02/22/2018
  • Shawna

Shawna G. · Married on 04/29/2017

Above and beyond

Tyler and Mayella are very talented photographers that worked together to capture every beautiful magical moment of our special day! They are very skilled in capturing flawless stunning images for wonderful memories. Not only are they talented in their artistic skills but they pull all the pieces together to help make your day go very smooth and easy and fun! We had a blast with them during our engagement session and our wedding was incredible and the photos are absolutely stunning!! They are flexible and will meet every request. We love to look through our wedding pictures remembering the absolute joy!! Thank you Tyler and Mayella for capturing every wonderful memory for our wedding and all the time you both have spent beyond our wedding day to provide us with flawless pictures!!

Sent on 08/19/2019

Stephanie · Married on 08/04/2018

Best Photographers Ever!

My husband and I had met Tyler and Mayela at my cousin's wedding about a year before we had ours. We arrived early to the wedding to help set-up and they were there taking photos of the decor and table settings. My mom had initially noticed their impeccable attention to detail as they were taking pictures of everything. Throughout the rest of the wedding, we noticed how hard they worked to get shots of everything that was going on and were very personable with the guests. Tyler even took the time to grab me (after I caught the bouquet) to take a photo with the bride. My husband and mom brought up the idea of hiring them for our wedding but I didn't think that was much of an option considering we live 3 hours away from where they are located. We figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though. I was shocked when they told us that they were up for the job. We didn't have a date set yet but we had our photographers picked!

Our package came with an engagement session which was a big selling point for me since I knew I was going to be fairly awkward about having my photos taken. As expected, the first few shots were a bit awkward for me but Tyler and Mayela made those nerves go away really quick. We had so much fun during our engagement session and you can certainly see that in the photos.

Between our engagement session and the wedding, Tyler and Mayela were so helpful in making sure that I always knew what was going on. We had a few Skype sessions where Tyler and Mayela would talk us through the process and ask us questions about what we were wanting as far as shots go. It definitely helped ease my mind knowing that we had photographers that knew what they were doing considering we were pretty clueless ourselves.

Fast forward to the wedding day, my husband and I got ready with our wedding party at two separate locations. This originally worried me since I had wanted pictures of both of us getting ready. Tyler and Mayela were so kind to make that happen! They arrived early at the venue to get photos of me and my bridesmaids getting ready along with a bunch of the small details (the dress, the jewelry, the shoes, custom hangers for the girls, etc.). About halfway through getting ready, Tyler and Mayela made their way to the next town over to get shots of the guys. To me, that alone was going above and beyond. The guys' photos went by pretty quick so there was time for a few more photos of the girls as well as the reception room. They got shots of all the little details (including our food during the reception)!

Before taking wedding party photos, my husband and I did a first look. I really appreciated that they had taken most of the photos from afar to allow my husband and I to have our special moment. Those are some of my favorite photos from the day. The wedding party photos went so smoothly. We were all having so much fun and Tyler made us all laugh a bunch! He was super helpful with telling us how to pose as well. During the ceremony, Tyler and Mayela were able to capture a nice assortment of photos of us, the wedding party and guests. The family photos was so quick and organized! They got all the family photo combinations that we were wanting.

The rest of the wedding flew by so quickly. My husband and I were both so in the moment that it was hard to keep track of what was going on. Tyler and Mayela were so helpful in letting us know when things were happening (sunset photos, speeches, our first dance, etc.). It was like having a second (and third) wedding planner! By the end of the night, we had a number of guests and wedding party members telling us how much fun our photographers were! We honestly felt more like friends than clients!

Sent on 12/11/2019

Ranalla Photo & Films's reply:

You two are just the sweetest people! Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to us, just like it means so much to us that you trusted and chose us to capture your wedding day. We are so grateful. We will never forget the gifts you gave us on the wedding day!! We use our custom mugs all the time, still to this day. =)

With Love,

Tyler and Mayela
  • Michelle

Michelle · Married on 11/10/2017

Ranalla Photo & Films was everything we could have asked for and even more!!

This review is a bit late, so I'm hoping it is better late than never(?). Shortly after my (now) husband and I got engaged in Dec of 2016, it was chaos... wedding planning, a move, familial health matters, travel, etc. Plus, in order to budget and still have the quality I wanted, I ended up doing A LOTTT of things on my own. During that chaotic time, my now hubby and I attended the Sacramento wedding fair, since it was somewhat close to our venue, and we're SO THANKFUL we did. That was where we briefly met and spoke with Mayela at their booth. Choosing wedding vendors is a bit difficult IMO. You meet them briefly, view past work, read reviews... the nightmare reviews can keep you up at night... But how do you really decide on the right vendor for you?

My pre-selection criteria for wedding photographers (and in this order) were:
    Affordability/Length of Time - Can we afford them? How many hours day of?
    Quality of Work - Can they take beautiful photos? Do they have an artistic eye? Can they also pose people and set up shots?
    Personality/Flexibility - Do we mesh well? Do they seem easy to work with and willing to work with our needs?
    Reliability/Responsiveness - ** Can really only base on reviews and others' personal experiences and hope for the best

We met with and researched many photographers, and Skyped with Tyler and Mayela. In the end, Ranalla won our hearts. The criteria above they either had or could provide, and they seemed really genuine and sincere which was important to us. We also really liked the cool customized flash drive with our photos at the end. Throughout the next few months leading up to the wedding, I loved how they would check on us and kept in contact from time to time, and we were "pleasantly surprised" a couple of times. I should mention that there were a couple of push backs of our "discussion of details and timeline" meeting near the end, which caused some delays and challenges for us in organizing some last minute tasks, but I really think it was just a one off thing.

The day of the wedding, they were on time. We had an issue with the bridge being too busy where I wanted to take the First Look photos. Fortunately, Tyler is a superhero and was familiar with the area, so they brought us to another similar bridge which saved our First Look photos. Fun fact: The second bridge ended up being the bridge I thought we were at in the beginning. I didn't realize there were two bridges that look alike. Smh. Throughout the day they were consistently amazing and followed the timeline we all agreed on. We discussed beforehand how sunset was going to affect the 'after ceremony' photos and Ranalla was able to bring some lights on the day of to provide enough lighting for pictures. They even stayed a bit longer that evening to get some last minute pictures in. They were amazing all the entire wedding day!

There were some delays in getting our pictures to us in the stated timeframe, but Tyler and Mayela often provided updates and also gifted us a wedding album due to the delays. They sent a few teaser photos first and the rest a couple of months later, but even with delays, we received our pictures much faster than some of our friends for their weddings. And the finished product you ask? The pictures were STUNNING!! The first look, bridal party, ceremony, venue, family, reception, after party and miscellaneous photos were everything we could have asked for and more! Tyler and Mayela work so well together and have that incredible artistic eye I was looking for.

I was totally and completely burnt out after the wedding and less than a year later we moved again, hence the delay of my review. Plus, I did want to wait until we received the wedding album which was also a wonderful bonus. Bottom line is we would highly recommend Ranalla Photo & Films to anyone and everyone! Tyler and Mayela, thank you again for everything and you are magical.

Sent on 07/10/2019

Shawna · Married on 04/29/2017

We are very happy with the time and services of Ranalla photography! They did an amazing job on our wedding and the photos came out exactly how I imagined! Tyler and Mayela work together as a perfect team to capture photos from all angles and will help you stay on time without feeling rushed to make sure everything goes smooth and they make you feel at ease and fully enjoy your wedding day! . I believe Tyler has a creative talent to capture light in a unique way to make a picture look flawless and serene. Contact can be a struggle, but overall my husband and I are extremely happy with the quality of photos we have forever.

Sent on 02/20/2018

Jordyn · Married on 01/13/2018

3.0

Tyler and Mayela are absolutely amazing! I would recommend them to any newly engaged couple looking for a photographer that is not only talented but friendly and excited about what they do. They made myself and my husband so at ease on the big day and helped with organization of the whole day which was AMAZING! Could not have asked for any more!!

Sent on 02/04/2018

Nichelle · Married on 09/08/2017

4.2
      2.0

Great help and very flexible. On wedding day they were on time and ready to go and made things a lot easier and less stressful! It was fantastic.

Sent on 02/11/2018
  • Sierra

Sierra B. · Married on 10/12/2019

Do not book them!

Don’t book them. We have had an awful experience. They were late to our engagement shoot didn’t even show to the welcome bbq and were over two hours late to our wedding! They have awful communication and hardly respond and are now three months late delivering our videos. So awful!!

Sent on 04/20/2020
  • Hunter

Hunter · Married on 06/09/2019

1.0

Do NOT Hire! Took them to Court! PLEASE READ EVERYTHING HERE before you sign!!!

Ranalla is a small company that charges too much for a poor product and can't handle the workload. I work in the film and television industry so I hired them because this is the single greatest memory and I thought I could trust them. I was wrong and here is exactly why.

At first, they are in tune with you emotionally. They ask you and your spouse questions and they like to see you over facetime or skype to establish a visual which I can appreciate. You tell them what you would like and they always agree. Then, you sign the contract and that all changes. From that moment they don't respond to any emails and argue regarding artistic style. They delivered our photography 3 months after the wedding and our video 4 months after the wedding. They broke our contract and I will never be working with them again.

I would now like to discuss the materials we received and why we are taking them to small claims court.

-Videography. Aside from their main camera, many shots are out of focus. They delivered a Highlight Film without even allowing us to proof and give comment. The film itself had too fast of edits at times and shot progression that just doesn't work. Some shots used literally lasted only 12 frames which is barely any time for the human eye to register and not convenient for a wedding film because detail is everything. However, most of the problems come from their photography. I can rework the content of their video as per the raw footage we purchased, but I can't correct the soft focus and those are memories we now have.

-Photography. This is where all the problems exist. I have attached photos that Ranalla color corrected and delivered per the contract detailing everything wrong with each photo. Unique style aside it comes down to improper technique in conjunction with a poorly delivered product.

Approximately 1500 photos were delivered. Many of these are not framed correctly i.e. cutting off at the ankles making it appear like people are missing ligaments. This is photography 101. There is a complete lack of focus. People shot from the back. People stacked on top of one another with soft focus on non focal elements. Nothing is centered. This NOT an artistic style. This is a clear indication of poor photography skills. Every photo has dead space and way too much head room. The rule of thirds is completely ignored. There is lens flare from not only the sun, but other cameras. A digital flare has been used to cover cameras in 200+ photos. Streaks of light crossing peoples faces and ruining shots. Lens flares are common throughout, which is only caused by a dirty lens or a special lens in general. Overexposure in some photos. Julie’s dress is blown out, which makes it completely unusable. Shadows have not been touched. Soft focus on a good majority of the photos which is really hard to see unless viewing a side by side image, but it IS there.

Family photos where people are stacked on top of each other and not looking toward camera. Some family members have people entirely covered. Immediate family members that I specifically told Ranalla to get on the day of the wedding were not photographed. When my wife cries she didn’t get a photo with her 90-year old grandmother in her wedding dress, when I specifically told them to get that, we do have a problem. In fact, Ranalla complained and said it was our fault. Now while their contract does say they can't promise anything... I think it's pretty bad for a company to pass the blame and then not do what the Groom asks the day of the wedding. As a client I don't feel valued in the slightest.

During the family photos names were rattled off and not one person was placed. Families were NOT grouped together and Ranalla literally told them to just get in and squeeze up together. When family ask me afterword why people were not placed, that is another problem. The job of the wedding photographer is to orchestrate and place people and that did NOT happen.

I first spoke about my lack of trust in Ranalla doing this job initially because I literally saw two people from their company working the photography alone at another wedding. We booked them for more money and only received one person which explains why they couldn’t handle the workload. They ensured me they would be able to cover the wedding and that didn't happen! The delivered photos were NOT touched as they said because these issues would have been corrected. When asked about these details they became defensive and that is why this situation has escalated. I am absolutely floored with the final product of photography and I do NOT recommend this vendor at all.

-Communication. Since booking their company, communication has been deplorable. I have had to ask what is happening with our materials and progress a ridiculous number of times and they fail to deliver every time. I had to start giving them a deadline and then it passes with zero contact and zero updates. They even told me they overbooked themselves and can’t always be available. Unfortunately I did not see those words in the contract. They failed to deliver the product by the specified date in the contract. They broke the contract and finally delivered all materials 4 months after the wedding! They did attempt to makeup for this by offering several extra 75 cent Blu-ray Discs. which they claim costs $100. To burn a film? Absurd. They then had the audacity to remove them entirely and offer no other alternative solution when I declined.

When I tried to speak the truth about the delivered materials they shut me down with all this artistic policy per the contract. I have thoroughly reviewed the contract with legal friends of mine and I am within my legal rights to now escalate this. I paid for a service and they did not deliver. These are memories I can’t get back which makes this even more difficult because you can’t put a price on that.

Ranalla has refused to settle and now we are taking them to small claims court. They are trying to gather sympathy by telling us about their personal lives. They are encouraging/swaying us not to go the court route because it will only amount to a couple hundred dollars so they say. They are trying to counter and make up reasons for their poor photography skills by saying it was their own artistic style. I'll have you know that I contacted several of their past clients and the same artistic style is not represented. Ranalla is super unprofessional and if I could give them zero stars I most definitely would. I can't tell you much we regret not hiring a better company for service. Do NOT hire Ranalla Photo and Films. That's all I have to say...

Sent on 10/29/2019