40-440
Indoor/Outdoor
Venue Setting

Nearby Vendors to Consider

About The Cotton Room

Innovative cuisine. Expert planning. Inspired events.

Follow us on Pinterest!  www.pinterest.com/tchospitality

The Cotton Room Durham is a chic and unique special event venue.  The old cotton mill was refurbished, leaving beautiful and modern hard wood floors, rustic exposed brick and piping, and elegant glass windows around the permiter of the venue.  It is the perfect space for your ceremony, cocktail hour and reception.  Don't limit yourself to hotel ballrooms with neutral wall paper and drab (or excessively bright) carpet colors.  The Cotton Room is a clean palette waiting to come alive with your vision for your Special Day!

To schedule a tour or request information, please email info@thecottonroomdurham.com, or call at 919-530-8380.

Categories: Wedding Venue

Lighting (6)
Lighting/Sound (5)
Cocktail Reception (5)
Plated (5)
All Inclusive Packages (4)
Photobooth (4)
Pet Friendly (1)
Family Style (1)
House Liquor (1)

1.6

*update: manager called us and sent partial refund

Overall impression: beautiful venue, poor service! Be prepared to work if you have your wedding here!
First of all, the staff did not make this process easy at all. For someone who is supposed to facilitate planning, our wedding coordinator (Summer) repeatedly asked me the same questions at each meeting when we had previously discussed in detail the nature of her questions.
I was unaware I had to send out my own vendor contracts. When I sent mine out, I had several vendors ask me questions about the contracts. The vendors were required to have ridiculous insurance policies that they hadn't been required to have before. Obviously I didn't have these answers.
My bridal portraits were cancelled by the cotton room at the last minute. (about one week before they were scheduled) Rearranging this caused me stress and days of emailing/coordinating a new date for everyone involved.
The night before the wedding, the coordinator emailed us and said that none of the people had been sat at tables in social tables (the program you use for your reception seating). My fiance and I had spent hours on this and had guests placed in social tables weeks prior to this.
I talked to multiple guests about the passed hors d'ouvres and most of them said they never saw or had any.
The place cards were supposed to have been set out at the head table, but weren't. When the bridal party was announced for dinner, no one knew where to go. Summer came over to me and basically accused me that no one knew where to sit. It took an extremely long time for food to start coming out.
4 of the grapevine balls were not lit.
The photobooth printer was completely backed up for most of the night. Don't use their photobooth and hire a different company!We also never got any wedding cake to take home. We sent them an email about these concerns and they never even emailed back! I will not be recommending this venue to friends.

Profile Picture Hilary, 3/3/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Open Bar, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, Chairs, Dance Floor, Drapery, Furniture, Lighting, Photobooth, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, All Inclusive Packages, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Set Up, Indoor, Parking, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated
3.3

My husband & I got married at The Cotton Room on 10/14/17. We booked the venue about a year earlier and absolutely loved the space. The exposed brick, huge windows, and dramatic draping was the exact look we wanted. We were THRILLED with the space for our ceremony and reception. The planning process was difficult. The venue is extremely strict and at times, overpromised, underdelivered, and lacked proper communication (especially when considering the hefty price tag!). For example, three weeks after we booked the venue, my mom flew in from California and we toured TCR together. We were told that people used the bridal suite all the time for a babysitting area during the reception. Four weeks before my wedding, when reviewing final details, I told our planner that we were hiring a babysitter and I'd have that information soon. I had to jump through the most ridiculous hoops; they required insurance but for 2.5 weeks, couldn't tell me what kind of insurance they required so I could inform the babysitting company. I eventually had to give up on having the babysitter because it was so complicated and they weren't pleased with anything I worked out. Another overpromise and underdeliver: they told me they had someone on staff who did the chalkboard all the time for weddings and at that same meeting 4 weeks before, I found out that I had to hire someone. And another... for our Sips Session, I was informed of the date and when we couldn't attend, I was told it was the last one before our wedding and there wouldn't be any others. I had to fight tooth and nail to get a new date. I wouldn't change a thing and absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED how everything looked, but if you book this venue, you have to be on top of EVERY single detail and be prepared to fight for what you need/want! Highly recommend Petal & Oak (their sister company), but again, had to advocate for myself a lot!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Lauren, 10/14/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Specialty Wine, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Server(s), Stations, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Chairs, Dance Floor, Decor, Drapery, Furniture, Lighting, Photobooth, Tables, All Inclusive Packages, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Pet Friendly, Set Up

I got married at the Cotton Room on a Sunday Oct 8, 2017. When I say it was stunning, I mean it was stunning. It was the perfect place to have a wedding. The food was superb, the service for that day was outstanding. The wait staff and servers were fantastic. Becky Chapman was our coordinator and she was just great. She followed everything that I presented to her to the letter. If something happen, she was right there to contact you in a timely manner. The only complaint I had was there was no air in the grooms suite, but they were able to sustain without it. The rustic look was a nice touch and my guest are still talking about how stunning the wedding and reception was. They are still talking about the food.

Photo of The Cotton Room in Durham, NC - Groomsmen
Photos
View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Miriam, 10/7/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Buffet, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Champagne Toast, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Chairs, Dance Floor, Furniture, Lighting, Tables, Indoor, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Set Up, Wireless Internet

The Cotton Room Pricing

1:28 minutes
Pinterest Board Video: Pantone Pairings
1:12 minutes

7 ENDORSEMENTS
We have done hundreds of events at The Cotton Room over the years! This is one of our favorite places to play in Durham and maybe even North Carolina! The staff is awesome as is the room.

We have done several weddings here. Beautiful venue!

The Cotton Room is a fabulous space to work in, really open, lending itself to artistic creation for any vision. Really enjoy the blank canvas and great structure provided by The Cotton Room.

One of our favorite places to do the photobooth at. The staff is always helpful and the owners are great to us.

As a photographer I have been to wedding facilities across the country. The Cotton Room is definitely one of the top facilities I have been to. Not only is the space fantastic, but the staff is the best around. Dinners are served promptly and they have a great ability to flip their space from ceremony to reception in less than an hour. There is no other space or group like this in the Raleigh/Durham area. Lauran & Michelle are hands on, and pull out all the stops to make sure your wedding here is perfect. Definitely send them an email and visit their space. You will not be disappointed!

79 PROS I KNOW

807 E. Main Street, #350, Durham, NC 27701   See On Map
919-530-8380 (phone) 919-530-8340 (fax)