846 Higuera Street, Suite 4, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 Map · Phone number

About Steelhead Cinema

Who are we a good fit for?

Around here we craft films for down-to-earth couples who care about living in the moment.

We set out on this journey of ours to serve couples. Passionate, fun, easy-going couples who believe a celebration like this deserves to be documented in the most authentic way possible.

What you'll get?

A wedding film that’s uniquely yours. Crafted from scratch to encompass every mood, moment, and feeling that makes up your story.

Feel fully-present when it matters most. We believe in letting the day unfold naturally while tucking away the real and meaningful moments as they happen. The best moments are captured from you living in the moment.

We create films that make you feel something versus just seeing what the day looked like. Wedding films that are uniquely tailored to each and every couple.

The Steelhead Cinema Experience

Invested in taking the time to earn your trust, we get to know you and yours before your next great adventure begins. When you choose to collaborate with us, count on a memorable experience resulting in a soulful film you treasure for decades.

Our creative process extends beyond your wedding day so you can feel truly comfortable being you. By the time our cameras roll, we’ll feel like friends celebrating alongside you. Because let’s be real, no one likes to be in front of the camera, especially with a complete stranger.

Why Wedding Films?

You are our why.

Because in the end you won’t remember the napkin color or how many people ordered the chicken. You’ll remember the feeling. That’s the good stuff. That’s what we set out to capture.

There’s no event I feel more grateful or connected to than an exchange of vows, a celebration of people becoming partners surrounded by love.

In the fall of 2016, I lost my Mom to cancer. Her loss continues to be the hardest thing I've ever experienced. Thankfully, photos and home videos exist to help me relive moments of her life and serve as a reminder of the amazing woman she was. It's why filmmaking feels even more personal and essential today.

Your wedding day is an opportunity to create and capture meaningful memories that will stand the test of time, a powerful reminder of your love for one another. That kind of motivation doesn't get any better.

Follow Steelhead Cinema on

• Captivating Videography
  • DPfilms Productions
  • Austin Hatcher Visuals

4 Reviews for Steelhead Cinema

Lorena · Married on 08/19/2017

I am SO happy that we changed our minds about not having videography for our wedding. Having seen our fair share of cheesy wedding videos, we were completely blown away when we looked through Steelhead's work. We were so happy that not only were they available for our date, but they were also not ridiculously priced! We were fortunate to have the opportunity to meet with them in person before we booked them and right away, we knew that John and James were exactly the type of guys we wanted to document our special day. They were extremely easy going and we really got the sense that they got into the wedding videography because they enjoyed it and took pride in their craft. Videography is one of those things you book then you just forget about until a few weeks before the wedding, but through the process, it was super easy to communicate with them and we felt like we were in great hands that we didn't really need to provide too much direction. On the day of, like another reviewer mentioned, John and James completely blended in. They worked seamlessly (or at least it appeared that way) with our photographer and made it so easy to be in front of the camera. I was super anxious about having my photo/video taken, but James and John made us feel super at ease. Our ceremony/reception had a lot of bilingual (Spanish/English) moments, so through the editing process, we were able to collaborate more than I'm sure other couples do since we helped them translate. We were a little nervous about how translation would work out since the entire ceremony and majority of speeches were in Spanish, but wow, when we saw our highlight video for the first time, we were absolutely blown away! It captured all of the different emotions of our day in such a beautiful, almost poetic way. At this point, we've both watched it probably 100 times because every time someone comments on how much they loved it, how it had them in tears, etc I feel like I need to watch it again. Best decision!

Sent on 11/24/2016

Camille · Married on 06/25/2017

Steelhead Cinema produces by far the greatest wedding videos of all time. From the moment I submitted my first inquiry to the day I received my wedding video, working with John was an absolute pleasure. John answered all of my questions throughout my engagement so quickly and with such grace. He made sure I was kept in the loop 100% of the time and that no decisions were made without my approval. Meeting in person with John shortly after I submitted my inquiry solidified that he would be our videographer because of how humble, kind, and genuine he was. I noticed right away that John was not in this business for the money; he is in it because he desires to gift a couple a visual of their unique love story for them to treasure for a lifetime. He truly cares about each couple he works with, which meant the world to me. Knowing that I had somebody with such character capture the greatest day of my life made the world of a difference.
    My husband and I decided to take John up on his offer to film an engagement video the month before our wedding day. The two minute film captured our love for each other so well, and we had the privilege of playing it during our cocktail hour at our wedding, which all of our guests raved about. Some of the footage from the engagement video was also used in our wedding highlight film, as a way to enhance our love story. Although I was hesitant at first to incorporate footage that wasn't from our wedding day in the highlight video, I am SO happy I trusted John's judgement because those extra shots made our video even more special. Every time we watch our wedding video, we are in awe that someone was able to capture our deep love for each other so well in a short six minute film. He captured our personalities and other features we emphasized early on we wanted to have in our video very well. Steelhead Cinema captured our story in a way no other videographer will ever be able to do.

Sent on 10/29/2017
  • Liz

Liz · Married on 10/10/2015

We hired Steelhead for our wedding at the Santa Margarita Ranch in October 2015. I was unsure if I wanted a videographer since I was a little scared that it might be too many people directing us with 2 photographers and 2 videographers. I would have been crushed had we not hired them or hired another videographer! Steelhead worked perfectly with our photographers, we didn’t feel overwhelmed in the least and they were so nice, laid back and fun!

Our wedding video is absolutely perfect and the way they work in the voiceovers from the speeches and ceremony with the shots from the different parts of the wedding is pure magic! They captured all of our special moments and more. Our family and friends love the video too! After my wedding one of my bridesmaids hired Steelhead to shoot their wedding up in Marin County next September because of the great experience we had on my wedding with them. I looked at a lot of other videographers in the Central Coast area and Bay Area and Steelhead really shined the brightest.

If you are on the fence on hiring a videographer, just do it! It is one of the best decisions you will make for your wedding and you will not regret it...you spend months and months planning, make sure you get an amazing film that you can watch to relive your special day! Steelhead is the team that will give you that amazing film! I can’t wait to watch our video on our anniversary every year or any time I need to smile :)

Thank you so much John and James! You guys are the BEST!

Sent on 01/12/2016

Steelhead Cinema FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding videography services?
    $ 4900.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price?
    Slideshow / Montage
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package?
    $ 6400.00
    Slideshow / Montage
  • What primary style do you identify with?
    Cinematic
    Documentary
    Short Form
    Storytelling
  • Which wedding events do you service?
    Ceremony
    Pre-Ceremony
    Reception
    Rehearsal Dinner
  • What videography services do you offer?
    Drone Footage
    One Event / Day
    Slideshow / Montage
  • What final video formats do you offer?
    Digital Download
    USB Flash Drive
    USB Hard Drive

• 846 Higuera Street, Suite 4 San Luis Obispo, CA, 93401 See on map
    Location of (Steelhead Cinema)