The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast

Akron, OH View map
2.9
    Mary Married on 04/17/2010
    The O'Neil house is this beautiful, charming old house in Akron. It is now being used primarily as a bed and breakfast, but the downstairs can also be used for small events. We decided to have our small, intimate wedding with 55 guests there this spring. The owner also does the catering and hires her own staff for valet and waitstaff. For us, this was an all in one! We did our wedding and reception all at the same place, and some of our out of town guests even stayed in the rooms upstairs. Gayle, the owner/proprietor, was extremely helpful and flexible - making sure our evening would be everything we hoped it would be and more. She also had great advice on vendors and styling - she has excellent taste. The ambiance that night was so fantastic. We also got some fantastic pictures in her gorgeous gardens. Thankfully, everyone walked away saying how beautiful the wedding was and what a great time they had!
    Sue Married on 09/17/2016
    I had a small class reunion at this house for about 40 people. One of my biggest issues with Gayle was there was no contract that I could refer to over a year of planning. So if I forgot something I would have to revisit old emails in hope of finding all the info I needed about pricing etc. As a retired school teacher, Gayle had no problem being condescending and downright rude to my guests who did not leave at the stroke of 11 when she bid us goodbye. Within 5 minutes I was subjected to lights being turned on and off and refusal or a glass of water for a guest because time was up! I was mortified as my guests looked to me to explain her behavior. I felt like a naughty schoolgirl and I am really trying to not let this craziness ruin my nice memories of seeing my old classmates. We made our way out to the driveway to say our goodbyes with lots of eye rolling and head shaking. As a woman in my 50's this did not sit well with me. I would think long and hard about booking this venue for an event. I also stayed upstairs in a delightful room with a great breakfast. that was all good. Maybe Gayle should just stick to that!!!
  • Leah
    Leah Married on 05/27/2012
    After 14 months of planning a wedding at O'Neil house, I can finally write the long awaited review.
    Let me start by saying, I loved my wedding day and in the end, I was a over the moon bride. In the end it all came together but the process was a tough one.

First thing: Gayle does NOT do a contract. This will cause many headaches over the course of your planning and I wish I would have got exact numbers from her. It really is a poor way to do business but hey, it's her choice.

After you get over this hiccup, you move on to planning with Gayle. She loves to talk down to you so you feel like you're an idiot the entire planning process. Combine that with her attitude of thinking of B&B is possibly the great B&B in the world. It leaves you annoyed after conversations and crossing your fingers for a good out coming.

If you can get past the no contract, no set confirmed prices and a condescending attitude, you'll still manage to have a wonderful wedding.

The good about my day:
    It turned out wonderful and I really wouldn't change much. If something was wrong, only I knew and nobody else. I couldn't have found a more gorgeous property and more amazing food. The staff makes this. She really has a great staff.

The bad about my day:

-Wasn't served what we decided on for dinner. Again, only I noticed and my mother in law.

-Bill was around $2k more and I assume this comes from, 1. my lack of following up on pricing as we went on and/or her lack of knowing what she was charging 2. because the wedding the day before used all my rentals and instead of splitting, she charged each of us (though it was a flat rental rate, not per day)

-We were told we were out of many beers/wines around 8:30 and went and bought more. Upon pickup the next day of our items, all the original drinks were still there. Total mess up on their part.

-Gayle got into many fights with my coordinator (who mind you, was 8 months preggo), blaming HER for losing boxes of my wedding items. Funny thing is, Gayle was responsible for those items, not my coordinator who just arrived at O'Neil that morning. One item was also destroyed by the staff. A very personal project to me :( No apologies for it.

-Gayle was very against putting bottles of water out for our ceremony guests. She said it was a safety issue having bottles of water laying around ad it was "tacky" BUT, it was near 94 degrees, full sun and that's not considered a safety issue?

-She says she packs everything up for pickup the next day. Nothing was packed up until I told her, I'd pick it up on my own terms because she didn't do as she said she would.

I'm sure I could go on.

OVERALL. If you're looking to have your wedding there, think carefully. She'll plan a gorgeous day but it won't be without many, many headaches and tears along the way.

1290 W. Exchange St Akron, OH, 44313
Location of (The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast)

The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast frequently asked questions

What are the most important characteristics of The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast in terms of venue type, style and location?

The space offered by The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast for wedding events is known for:
  • Inn/B&B
  • Mansion

What kind of indoor/outdoor options are available at The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast for wedding events?

The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast offers the following indoor/outdoor options for weddings:
  • Indoor
  • Covered Outdoor
  • Uncovered Outdoor

What kind of wedding events does The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast offer?

The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast offers the following types of wedding events:
  • Ceremony
  • Reception

What percentage of users recommend The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast and which are the most valued aspects of their wedding services?

The O’Neil House Bed and Breakfast is recommended by 50% of couples who have used their services. Their overall rating is 2.9 out of 5 with the following breakdown: 3.4 in quality of service, 3.1 in flexibility, 2.9 in average response time, 2.6 in value and 2.4 in professionalism.

Other vendors in Cleveland for your wedding

Wedding Venues