Washington, DC 20002 Map · Phone number
Most Popular Price $4,000
Availability Check your date
  • Real Weddings 2

About Kathleen Hertel Photography

Hello... My name is Kathy and I am a Photoholic and a Travel addict. It's been over too many years since I've had this problem and I don't plan on changing it any time soon.

I've been behind the lens since I was 15. I am both self taught and highly educated in Photography and yet I'm still learning new tricks every day.

I am an Introverted Extrovert meaning I love/hate being the center of attention. Which is why being a photographer fits me so well. My introverted side hides behind the camera while I quietly capture moments around me... Meanwhile, my extroverted side constantly talks to strangers and knows how to make people laugh and feel emotion.

I've had some pretty cool jobs in my life... I've worked at Walt Disney World, Sea World, and Universal Studios. I've been my Universities Mascot, I worked in Event Management and even met some of the members of N'Sync... (sadly not Justin).

I've traveled the world to see and photograph wildlife in it's natural habitat. I've been to all Seven Continents (Antarctica twice) . I've trekked the Inca trail and spent the night at the top of an active volcano in Congo. I've swam with Great Whites, Orca Whales, Humpbacks, Seals, and Dolphins. In 2017, I won my first wildlife photography award and published an article about trekking with gorillas that was read by over 100,000 people! I am constantly doing things I am afraid of because... well because I'm an idiot sometimes.

I am not a pretty in pink and sparkly type girl. I'm a t-shirt and jeans that will most likely get a little muddy. I'm a lover of the outdoors hiking, camping, being by the water or in the woods it doesn't matter. I love a good IPA or craft beer and a red wine is my go to especially with chocolate... I'm goofy and a bit sarcastic and can talk too much...

The most important thing about me is I am Compassionate. I have Compassion for the people I meet, for the job I do, for the wildlife that I am trying to help save, and for our planet.

When I am not photographing weddings I am traveling the world looking for stories of how everyday people are making the world a better place.

Follow Kathleen Hertel Photography on

boston elizabethmichael gettingready 25

• Real Weddings 58

81 Reviews for Kathleen Hertel Photography

Sara · Married on 09/02/2018

Kathy is phenomenal! We were referred her after our friend's wedding. She traveled to us in Omaha for our engagement shoot and then to New York for our wedding! Her photography skills and creativity are amazing! She was very reasonable for the quality of the work that she does, the amount of photos that we received, and the time that she took with us. For our engagement shoot, we spent ~7 hours together and had hundreds of photos to pick from!! She is so easy to work with and you will immediately feel comfortable with her-- a huge factor to make sure you get genuine photos. We love that she incorporates some classic posed photos, but she really excels at capturing those genuine real life moments as well. Everybody commented how great all of our pictures came out-- and we got them ALL (thousands!) back ~1 month after our wedding in the middle of wedding season. If she is available, book her! We hope to attend a wedding where she is the photographer again so we can see her soon. Thank you Kathy for documenting our day!! Hope to see you soon :)

Megan · Married on 08/11/2018

Kathy truly encompasses the meaning of EPIC! From our first meeting, she helped us setup our wedding day timeline and a fabulous engagement shoot. She’s really fun to grab a drink with and talk wedding- bonus! Our pictures are AWESOME! She is so creative and so easy to work with. She's not afraid to try something new and get into the pool, dirt, etc to get the perfect shot. She makes everyone comfortable and not feel like they are posing--it really shows in the photos. Our bridal party had so much fun taking photos on the wedding day. We are so glad our paths crossed, Kathy was the perfect photographer for us! We can't stop looking at our photos over and over!

Kathleen Hertel Photography 1
    Kathleen Hertel Photography 2
    Kathleen Hertel Photography 3

Jessica · Married on 05/04/2018

Kathy is one of the people we feel the most fortunate for having stumbled upon during our wedding-planning process, and hiring her as our photographer was one of the best decisions we made, no question. I should start by saying I took the search for our wedding photographer very seriously. Being a hobbyist photographer myself, I value authentic, quality photographs, and so talent and style were important to me. But equally important was finding someone who could vibe equally with my Type-A self, as well as my Type-B husband. And also equally important was finding someone who we aligned with; it is important to us that we put our money into companies and individuals who support the type of world we want to live in, and it was of utmost importance to us that hiring a photographer was no exception. Well, I can’t tell you how many people told me this perfect person didn’t exist, that’d I’d have to bend! I’m thrilled to say they were wrong. <3 I spoke to too many photographers to count—all were lovely, all were talented—but I didn’t have my ‘ah hah’ moment until Kathy came along. I found her website, and her wedding work was authentic and raw.... I found her social media pages, and she’s a wildlife photographer as well... and then I read her blog, and learned of the work she does to support wildlife rehabilitation programs and bring awareness to the people of different communities around the world>>>and I was sold. I emailed her and then quickly emailed my now husband: “She’s the one!”

We met for beers a few weeks later, and a few months later, Kevin and I were hopping on a flight to Iceland to meet Kathy for our engagement session. One second I didn’t think I wanted engagement photos, and the next second I committed to a several day session! But that’s Kathy—she’s the type of person who turns what could have been a monotonous few hours of forced poses and cheesy photos into one of... {ran out of space, see The Knot for full review}

Kathleen Hertel Photography FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding photography services? $ 3,500.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price? Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Canvas, Digital Files
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 4,000.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? 2nd Shooter, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Digital Files
  • What photography services do you offer? Additional Hours, Boudoir Shoot, Destination / Travel, Engagement Shoot, High-Res Images, Liability Insurance, One Event / Day, Second Shooter, Trash The Dress, Wedding Portraits
  • What photography items do you offer? Albums, Canvas, Digital Files, Flush Mount, Prints, Save the Date

Real Weddings